PDA

View Full Version : Illustration for icons.

MischaIsCool
12-29-2004, 07:50 PM
I've created a series of icons based on movie themes. I did a set based on the movie Fight Club a while back, and now thought i'd try my hand at 2001: A Space Odyssey.

All of the work here is created 100% in photoshop using lots and lots of layers, and a lot of airbrushing! i do about 95% of this work with the mouse. Each icon is drawn on a 512x512px canvas, and then i scale down for the final output.

I've posted these on icon/ui forums before. but i thought i'd see what you guys thinks, since these are obviously quite illustrative. I try to design the icons so they're somewhat in line with the Apple Guidelines, and by that i mean, the perspectives and lighting and such. Ie, they should either be drawn from front on, or looking down on them (like they're on a desk). And should all be lit from directly above.

I'm hoping they're all consistant as well and appear as a "set".

http://www.zyotism.com/hum/cg2001.jpg

any comments? or suggestions on how to improve?

StylusMonkey
12-30-2004, 05:47 AM
Comments? Yeah, they look ****ing fantastic.

- m

MischaIsCool
12-30-2004, 04:40 PM
Comments? Yeah, they look ****ing fantastic.

- m

:p

how about the lighting or the consistancy?

ajay1589
12-30-2004, 05:24 PM
the lighting is perfect...i could definetly see this on my desktop...in place of my recycle bin etc. nice and clean

MischaIsCool
12-30-2004, 05:41 PM
the lighting is perfect...i could definetly see this on my desktop...in place of my recycle bin etc. nice and clean

I actually design them ultimately for mac os x, but i do try to convert for windows people too. though, only windows xp, as 2000 doesn't support proper transparency. :-(

Balboa
07-19-2005, 04:43 PM
They look great man! The only things that stand out to me are the lack of detail on the cryo chamber(?) and HAL, who looks slightly bigger than the other icons. Good job!

CGTalk Moderation
07-19-2005, 04:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.