PDA

View Full Version : About the book of Timothy Albee? is good?

GladeR
09-04-2002, 06:43 AM
Howdy guys, it was thinking at buy it, someone it have this book, what offers? about than speak this book exactly, animation only or character setups?

thx in advance :cool:

coremi
09-04-2002, 07:52 AM
the book contains 1 rigging, very good, also a very good explanation of weightmaps and how to use it.
after that u have a lot of poses to creat and also some explanation of things like: timing, stretch etc..
there is no animation tutorial about keyframes and stuff but in the end u have a lot of exercises of different kind of movements.
i found it very good and also i understand that u have to work work work for character animation, no one can explain how to put keys for your animation to look good, u'll just have to figure out by yourself.
the scary thing i found is that character animation is mostly based on FK and not IK, ik just for legs, everything else is just FK.

proton
09-04-2002, 01:05 PM
Best LightWave book I've read....I would suggest that every LW user go and buy it....

JohnD
09-04-2002, 01:50 PM
I have to say, I have tried many different rigging setups before, but Mr. Albee has got the best one in this book. Very highly recommended.

dzogchen
09-04-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by proton
Best LightWave book I've read....I would suggest that every LW user go and buy it....

I want to win it in the texture contest! Hehee...( wishful thinking):p :D

Rabid pitbull
09-04-2002, 04:34 PM
i have to say i own the book and have learned much from it, but at the same time it leaves me a little dissapointed. his rig is very reliable, but it is very limited. for instance the first thing i tried to do was make the character give the camera the bird (brain sickness i know..), and it can't be done. someone prove me wrong and explain it to me please.

it is a very good resource on lightwave techniques none the less. it also does a good job of going through the animation process these techniques are universal.

ClingFree
09-04-2002, 06:09 PM
What prevents you from doing animating that pitbull? If it is turning the hand to face the camera try rotating the RightHand_Trans bone and you should be able to do it....and yes I did say rotate using the trans bone. Seems a little counter intuitive but it works.

ClingFree
09-04-2002, 06:20 PM
I just tried it myself and I spoke too soon. Sorry...you would need to add an extra bone to help with that kind of complete turnaround at the wrist.

aurora
09-04-2002, 07:04 PM
Timothy Albee's books are the best. Been using LW for years and still learn from his stuff everytime. Now if only he wrote books for Maya too., I might enjoy Maya better if he did.

JohnD
09-04-2002, 07:13 PM
There should be two bones in each wrist. A Trans bone and a Rot bone. The Rot bone takes care of the gimble lock problem and should only be rotated on its pitch. There shouldn't be too many, if any type of pose that can't take advantage of this rig.

Eugeny
09-04-2002, 08:06 PM
If u newbie it's best all around book.
But i mast to say the set-up is little strange...

JohnD
09-04-2002, 08:21 PM
Well, I've used Lightwave for 5 years now. I don't think I'm a newbe anymore. I've gone through dozens of rigs and this one gives me everything I need. I agree it's definitely much different then most rigs, but who cares as long as it gets the job done. The past month I've been doing animations for Freestyle Motocross commercials. I used this rig on the rider that had to match the tricks done in the footage...and it did it with no hassle.

coremi
09-05-2002, 08:33 AM
i still think the 2 video tutorials (smartskin & the one with the target object and no ik) are better for arms and hands than the setup.
the setup from the book explains u clearly that u have to move manually the bones until u get the best results, no expresions, no super ik follower stuff, just some basic ik with a lot of work, scarry.

Eugeny
09-05-2002, 08:58 AM
That's what i mean...
This book is perfect for newbies. IK, scelegones, weight maps all in entry or little advanced level.

GladeR
09-05-2002, 10:17 AM
hey thanks guys by the responses :cool:

jjburton
09-05-2002, 12:23 PM
I rigged a character I made following Tim's book and have been trying to tweak a few things to make it easier to pose (i.e. finger sliders, spine followers, etc.)

I was having trouble with the single forearm bone getting convincing twisting in the mesh. I found lots of ideas for multiple bone forearm rigs but I wanted to try something else.

I simply added a follower modifer on the forearm following the hand rotation's bank channel and set the multiplier to .25. It seems to work great for me. I just thought I would share.

My character is pretty cartoony so it may not work with a more realistic one, but I don't know and I can't test it because I've still got to build some realistic models:).

I'm getting ready to break down Albee's Wolf rig's tail setup for work with another character. If I can get it to work right, I may just have to do my first tutorial:).

DigitalDeuce
09-06-2002, 04:03 AM
Sweeeeeeet.

I'm getting ready to break down Albee's Wolf rig's tail setup for work with another character. If I can get it to work right, I may just have to do my first tutorial.

Love the information - I have the Albee book, and it's different than the 'style' that we used on Neutron, but hey, if it works -- and there's always more than one way to do something.

Knowlege is power.

koroko
09-06-2002, 10:51 AM
Hi all,

Glader, i suggest u to get that book right now, if the other responses didnt encourage u enough...

//Yo me lo compré a principios de verano, y aunque como alguno ya ha dicho apenas te cuenta nada de como y cuando colocar los keyframes para determinadas cosas, pero desdeluego eso es lo único q se deja fuera del tintero, cosa q por otro lado despues de seguir el libro tampoco cuesta mucho ponerse a practicar...
Te lleva desde el principio, desde coger tu modelo y meterle un esqueleto y configurarlo con IK, ajustar los weight maps, hasta despues explicaciones muy graficas de los conceptos básicos de la animacion, seguido de algunos ejercicios...ya te digo, es de lo mejor q puedes encontrar para introducirte en animacion con buen pie, pillatelo YA, ademas tampoco es caro... ;) //

_____
angel

proton
09-06-2002, 03:07 PM
I was working at my computer when I heard someone say Tutorial......I'd love to host your tutorial...esp. if it cobers character rigs...we are in short supply of those....Bring it on jjburton :buttrock:

jjburton
09-06-2002, 05:32 PM
Protron- Cool...I'll post it here once I get it knocked out.

Digital Deuce- You all use Maya for rigging and animation right? I'm going to have to use Maya for some of my school stuff (SCAD). For rigging, will vertex maps carry over from Lightwave or do you have to do that separately? Thanks:).

GladeR
09-07-2002, 10:42 AM
Hey gracias koroko, jejeje es que hay que asegurarse de lo que estas pillando por que si compras a la buena de dios te llevas el tipico libro con el 90% de informacion inutil.

hostia que raro se hace leer algo aqui castellano :cool:

Un saludo!!

thx to everybody guys :beer:

DigitalDeuce
09-07-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by jjburton
Digital Deuce- You all use Maya for rigging and animation right?

I worked on the movie, and not on the TV Show. We used LightWave and Messiah. No Maya.

:buttrock: :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.