PDA

View Full Version : paint attributes, exporting weights?

metalhead419
12-29-2004, 10:22 AM
Hey guys, I was wondering if there is a script out there to export/import weights for the paint attributes tool. I have looked around on Highend and can't seem to find anything. I'm using muscle tk and I am trying to find a way to remove and re-apply the muscle skin multible times to fine tune the muscles. Having to re-paint the attribute for areas of smooth skin each time seems to be a bit of a hassel.
Many thanks,
-Neil

Arcon
12-29-2004, 11:00 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering if there is a script out there to export/import weights for the paint attributes tool. I have looked around on Highend and can't seem to find anything.
aeSkinWeightsTransfer1.0 on highend worked for me. i'm not sure how the muscleTK procedure works but do you just need to bring in a new mesh and copy the weights to it...? if so then maya's own copy weights should work for most joints (not import/export).

metalhead419
12-29-2004, 11:08 PM
maybe, I'll give it a try. I thought that copy weights only applies to joint wieghts.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
-Neil

Arcon
12-30-2004, 12:51 AM
ahhh, yeah it does only apply to joint weights. those are smooth skin weights though, same thing. do u want to copy cluster weights or something for blendshapes...?

metalhead419
12-30-2004, 05:42 AM
Yes, I am painting attributes for a non skin deformer. I think I can write a script for it.
thanks for your help anyway.
Neil

seven6ty
12-30-2004, 05:58 AM
Specifically what are you talking about here?

I've written one that exports and imports text files of weights for joints and any influence objects, let me know if you'd like the code or anything as it's fairly simple and to the point, but I'm sure you can also find a number of other similar scripts out there as well.

metalhead419
12-30-2004, 08:32 AM
Specifically what are you talking about here? It's really just another muscle tk question. For anyone who has not used muscle tk, what it does is gives you a muscle deformer on top of a skin cluster. So you have a muscle attribute that has set every vert to %100 weight. To just use the skin cluster in areas you have to replace weights with the paint attributes tool. So I'm hoping to find a way to save those weights, so I can make tweeks with the muscles and see the final outcome faster.
I hope this answers your question.

BTW- seven6ty, I took your advise for the leg muscles and I am getting pretty good results. The upper thigh looks way better. Thanks for your help on that, I really appreciate it.
The only trouble I'm having still, is to get a nice crease when you raise the leg all the way. It seems like there is still some fairly odd collapsing right next to the pelvis. I look at the mesh and appears the muscle just goes right through it at a certian angle around 45 degrees. Ive tried everthing and I think that the use a combination of the weighting influences, and corrective blends will work.
It would be awsome if you could send me your script. I have some experience with scripting myself.
Once again thanks,
-Neil

seven6ty
01-03-2005, 04:15 AM
Hey! Hmmm, yeah, I have an idea of what you're talking about, how to get it to crease in the right spot. What I've been doing for that so far is just simply weighting that line where the crease should be, about almost 100% to the center hip joint, which won't really be moving much. Then, the belly and thigh are skinned so that they move and begin to approach each other as the leg raises, leaving that crease portion weighted to the center hip where it originally was. Either that, or you could create a cluster of the verts at the crease and work out an expression or something so that when the side hip joint rotates to raise the thigh, then that cluster moves a specified amount in one direction. You're welcome to send me your file too and I could check it out if you want: seven6ty@hotmail.com.

I'll message you that script right now via private message.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.