PDA

View Full Version : la belle dame sans merci - "the beautiful lady without pity"

hpslashluvr
12-28-2004, 10:50 PM
I started a fun piece spoofing JW Waterhouse's "La Belle Dame Sans Merci." It is going to be set in the future, with the knight dressed in a paintball mask hehe. Here is the original:
http://jwwaterhouse.com/paintings/images/waterhouse_la_belle_dame_sans_merci.jpg

And here mine is after a few hours of work, with some close-ups of the face and armor. I realize the pose is not entirely the same, but that's ok with me.

and sorry for crappy quality of jpgs...

edit: oh btw....she's on a spaceshipish thing

hpslashluvr
12-28-2004, 10:53 PM
and my refs. btw, the story has to do with a woman who tricks knights, it's based on a Keats poem I believe.

Cre8
12-28-2004, 11:14 PM
I like the spin you are taking on this project, by going all modern with the age old poem.

Would be interesting to see the outcome.

Is this 2d only, or are you gonna go all the way?

Either way , good luck!:thumbsup:

hpslashluvr
12-29-2004, 03:46 AM
not sure what you mean...i may make the background (there will probably be a sky battle going on) in 3dsmax, at least the ships...but the rest will probably be 2d...I am doing this in Painter with oils.

a little update, i decided to throw her hair back b/c it was unnatural falling like that...added a tattoo to match the original heart patch on her dress...added some hair detail, and blocked in the ship colors - think stormtrooper color/material! hehe shiny b/w crap...

the tattoo's colors seem too bright, perhaps? it draws the eye away?

niva
12-29-2004, 08:04 AM
Looking good so far, I want to know how to do these thumbs :)

Watch your anatomy, something in the girl's arm doesn't seem right to me but I can't tell what it is in the zoomed in drawing...

hpslashluvr
12-29-2004, 08:27 AM
i think it may have to do with the fact she's hunched over, it's clearer in the uncolored sketch

i may have to reveal more of the shoulder and back to get that across

hpslashluvr
01-01-2005, 04:18 PM
dunno why there's a grey line surrounding the guy's head...i had scaled it, so i guess that would be why...but it doesn't show up on the normal sized copy. oh well

i started to do a halo helmet for fun but decided it was too bulky. fixed the girl's hair a little to match the original. any tips on coloring metal? i'm pretty bad at that kind of stuff.

critiques are welcome as always.

ajay1589
01-01-2005, 08:39 PM
this is going to be a great piece...keep on working!!

Ognus
01-17-2005, 06:39 PM
paintball helmets always remind me of the "master chief" from Halo.

I cant wait to see it done.

hpslashluvr
01-19-2005, 03:39 AM
a small update, still need to do some armor shading and details, etc. plus background...i'm thinking a battle with aerial view of the ground (you know, like gridded land, like when you're on a plane looking down)

Mysterious X
02-20-2005, 01:03 PM
if the final images comes out as i think...it'll take a CG choice award for sure http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

hpslashluvr
02-20-2005, 03:21 PM
thanks, i'm in the process of doing the bg right now and it's good to know someone believes in me :p

in the meantime i have to finish a diptych, here is the left side so far

http://img131.exs.cx/img131/5975/42ep.jpg

shyamshriram
03-09-2005, 03:31 AM
hey good work :) keep it up :thumbsup:

lotaH
03-19-2005, 11:01 PM
Hi hpslashluvr,

Good job!! :thumbsup:

What the tecnic, what the software?

The flowers in the hair is bad, but it's is only a detail...

Congratulations!!!:buttrock:

[]'s

hpslashluvr
03-20-2005, 11:08 PM
thanks, yeah, i just put blobs for the flowers in the hair so far, there will be more detail

i use painter 8

Zarathustra
03-30-2005, 03:48 PM
I really like your work.
I'm just curious what res you generally at?

hpslashluvr
03-31-2005, 01:30 AM
Thanks, btw anyone, please comment also on my self portrait here. (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=219677)

I usually work around 10x12 to 12x18 at 300 DPI or whatever it's called...I usually have to print these out so I heard that's a good rez...but it does slow down the comp.

tinitus
04-21-2005, 06:47 PM
GREAT WORK!
love it! :thumbsup:

Elaeria
04-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Any chance you have some updates for us on your version of "La Belle Dame sans merci"? I absolutely love your take on it and can't wait to see more!

Your self portrait is coming along really well too! Keep it up!
~Ela~

hpslashluvr
04-25-2005, 07:01 AM
i have worked on the la belle dame piece but it still sucks, it's not worth posting an update

i worked some on the other piece, i know the cabinet doors are not even but it doesn't matter to me right now...haven't worked on much except coloring those (which took forever b/c the file is huge and i've got a real pain of a lag). btw tinitus, love your work ;) i do 3d too but not in a while.

http://img245.echo.cx/img245/9866/58mq.jpg

dioxide
04-25-2005, 05:04 PM
Her nose is on a wierd angle compared to the rest of her face. Ive seen people with noses that actually do bend higher than 45 degrees when looking straight. I dont know if thats what you wanted, but if you didint, you might want to fix either her nose, or her chin/jaw. Her chin/jaw suggests that she is looking forward while her nose suggests otherwise.

ElKrullo
04-25-2005, 06:05 PM
Hi hpslashluvr!

I think it looks great so far! Maybe her head is a bit too long (I'm talking about the first painting now). I'm not sure how to put this... It seems like the back of her head ends too far back. You know what I mean?

The second painting is great too. Very nice lighting!

hpslashluvr
05-07-2005, 05:16 AM
restarted the face, trying to make it slightly more anatomically correct this time...still need to soften up a lot of the features tho and add more of that orangey redness that is in the original

the chin needs to be fixed especially but i think it was mostly because the person i used as reference is just messed up looking. should the chin tilt back a bit instead...
/ <~~this way?

here you can see the new one vs original... :dunno: they're both drawn wrong x.x;;;

http://img147.echo.cx/img147/2175/newface3gq.jpg

LouisBrowne
05-09-2005, 04:24 AM
Me-mail email sail ya butt to y'a email

hpslashluvr
05-09-2005, 05:47 AM
I'm not sure why you'd make changes to the old version, but also please don't spam me at my email address! Thanks for crit tho.

LouisBrowne
05-09-2005, 01:15 PM
My bad, I thought that was your latest. I send you a psd so you could see the layers & didn't post it on here as people see it as rude posting work-ups on others work. I tried not to step on anyones toes but I just seem to have a huge foot.
Sorry

KeepItUp

hpslashluvr
05-15-2005, 03:58 AM
i didn't mean it as an insult, so it's all good. i don't mind ppl posting paintovers in my threads.

ajay1589
05-29-2005, 03:23 AM
that "updated verse old image" shows an outstanding improvement, i like the glow you put into her
keep on going!

Nazirull
05-29-2005, 03:30 AM
Great piece this is gonna be....
I think the first piece is anatomically good...the second one tho is fresher with the glow but the anatomy looks a bit distorted. The nose is also too 'dirty'.....

Keep it up!:thumbsup:

hpslashluvr
05-29-2005, 03:33 AM
hmm people keep getting confused, i should have realized ppl read from left to right...the first image is the update, the right one is the old version. i will add the rosiness to the cheeks later...

hpslashluvr
05-29-2005, 05:55 AM
a small update...will keep the lower armor & tattoo but to make it more like the original painting i will put the armband in and keep the off-shoulder collar of the dress. fixed the anatomy of the body except for the hands, obviously, and fixed the hair some too, to match the original.

http://img271.echo.cx/img271/8173/newface22pf.jpg

Nazirull
05-29-2005, 08:06 AM
*slaphead* :banghead: of course the left one is the updated one! How can u build a Ferrari this year and suddenly go back building Ford T-Model the next!? Thats not how civilization evolve! :argh:

Looking good....Love the eye contact....make it deeper....or more intimate... (easier said than done....:rolleyes: )

Anariel
05-29-2005, 11:51 PM
Hmm, this is coming along great. This was one of my favorite Waterhouse paintings! I love the idea of a modern version. My only suggestion:
With the position of the man's face, if you want her looking up into his eyes, you need to turn the iris up more. Right now it's like she's staring at his neck or something. So, just make her looking up some more.
Again, that's just my own suggestion.

hpslashluvr
06-02-2005, 12:30 AM
fixed the face a little - the eyes were looking a bit too low as mentioned. tried to make the face look more youthful and corrected the eyebrow and lips some...here you can compare the old to new...hopefully slightly better. and...hopefully no one will get confused this time to which one is old and which one is new x.x;;

http://img121.echo.cx/img121/8417/compare4la.jpg

beelow
06-03-2005, 10:45 AM
Dang girl you on your way, I need to get crackin' on my digital skills before I get doodood on,LOL, great Paintings. I will drop by to see the progress. Holla!:applause:

nebezial
06-08-2005, 08:01 AM
ill keep to the finished parts, i wont reffer to anatomy of the body cause i myself tend to start it off kijnda sketchy, lol and when i saw ur earlier update i instinctivewly watched from right to left. lol too many manga recently, but anyways, u r really skilled, so im gonna give u a lil tip, tell no one, bout this... heh, well anyways it seems to me that u r using soft and hard lighr modes, cause it does look like some pretty nice subsurface scattering effect on the skin. the hair is great in the colours, but lacks definition in structure, first in the natural brushes set with turned on other and shape dynamics should do the trick both as a paint and smudge tool, ill be back when u update and also before spillin my tips i really should know what program u r using, s ur work later:D

Nazirull
06-08-2005, 10:08 AM
I dont really get what youre saying Neb....I think ure talking about the pen pressure setting at the other dynamics? sorry im always as dumb. :rolleyes:

hpslashluvr
06-08-2005, 03:43 PM
dang it, hopefully this doesn't post twice cuz the server was down when i tried to submit it...

meh, nebezial, i have no clue what you're talking about :) but i really like you WIP *hugs it*

I'm using painter, and like i said, the hair is an underpainting to know which color i will use. what are soft and hard light modes?

Nazirull
06-08-2005, 04:07 PM
soft and hard light modes are the types of brush where u can apply over any color and it will change the properties of the color...i.e. saturates and desaturates...in PS ....i think :D

hpslashluvr
06-08-2005, 05:56 PM
hmm i never heard of that before...i'm not very good with computers as you can see...i can barely find the on button...:)

sarNz
06-08-2005, 07:13 PM
looking really good, the face update makes it look much better! for the different brush settings, when u have ur paintbrush selected right click and it will bring up a whole list of things, like dodge and burn (my favorite), and lots of other different things. you are skilled in painting, so keep it up!

edit : oops, you dont use photoshop, sorry!

Nazirull
06-09-2005, 04:38 AM
aw dont be so humble hpslashluvr......how come ure posting great progess if u cant find the 'on' button huh? :scream:

nebezial
06-14-2005, 08:57 AM
argh, there is a lil problem with my advice indeed... that would be the fact it was made under a dumb assumption that u r working in photoshop... im such a dumbass, u see in ps there are brush settings, which when played with give amazing results:D , soft snd hard light are the modes tend to use the most when painting, they give vivit fleshy results on the skin and also work amazing on other materials and in my humble opinion are the definite best shading improvers

beelow
06-14-2005, 11:26 PM
Great progress, since the last time I have been here, keep em coming...No crits for now...holla!:thumbsup:

sebastienc
06-15-2005, 10:15 PM
i like your style! keep on doing!
seb ;)
my web site http://mapage.noos.fr/c.bastien

hpslashluvr
01-14-2006, 11:17 PM
here is a resketch of the painting, this time i've taken the time to think about the whole body of work instead of just the details. the bg will be in a forest clearing with skulls around her. anyways, it's a lot better closer to what i wanted originally.

i kept the master chief type look with the guy but it doesn't follow the armor exactly - the body armor is pretty much made up.

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/3540/completenewpreview4wu.jpg

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/696/colorpreview3co.jpg

umbrellasky
01-15-2006, 03:18 PM
wow cool! This is such a great idea. Lovely sketch! Can't wait to see more!

Nazirull
01-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Whoa thats manual watercolor?? Beautiful....

The undo button have made even laying a color on a paper almost a 'fear factor' feat for me LOL!! :scream: I mean how the hell am i gonna change the pencil after colorign halfway? Irreversible workflow just freaks me out!:scream::scream:

hpslashluvr
02-05-2006, 04:06 PM
lol no not manual watercolor...digital watercolors in painter! it wouldn't have been hard to do that underpainting with real ones though...^^

so uh yeah, i totally forgot what all those random faint lines meant, so i just made up the entire master chief suit again and it doesn't look like him at all >.< (not that it mattered)

ooh btw they're basically sitting in a field of skulls and the vines are going to bind him.

http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/3509/completenew3005preview3kt.jpg
http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/4193/completenew3005previewclose3fj.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
02-05-2006, 04:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.