PDA

View Full Version : equivalent of the flex modifier in max

pappuftp
12-28-2004, 07:55 PM
Ok what would be the equivalent of the flex modifier in max ? I want to set up soft flexing effect on some of my characters body parts ( say belly 4 exmaple that would flex when the character moves ).. tried quick stretch and the soft-body option .. but am getting no results..thnxx

Just_David
12-28-2004, 08:04 PM
Shape keys?

pappuftp
12-29-2004, 05:25 AM
Shape keys?
U mean using morphs ? ? thats a possible route .. but very time consuming to set up..I assume u understand what I am looking for .. something like the flex modifier of max or the jiggle deformer of maya..thnxx.. .

I did have some sucess with soft bodies in xsi .. but dunno whether thats the best possible route.. the soft body seems to affect the entire mesh.. even tho .. i have selected a cluster and applied a weight map and using that as my selection applied the softbody..

ermm.. anyone?

el_diablo
12-29-2004, 09:41 AM
AFAIK, you already stumbled upon the closest thing to Flex in XSI - Quick stretch. What are you trying to do? Although limited, Quick stretch my be adequate.

pappuftp
12-29-2004, 11:26 AM
ok .. say I have a hand which I am trying 2 animate.. now .. i select some vertices ( around the deltoids, biceps ,triceps etc .. make them a cluster , apply a weight map .. do some weight tweaking , then using the weight map i set a quick stretch deformer to that cluster .. well .. nothing happens .. after animating the hand which is deformed by a couple pf bones..

me thinks soft body is the way 2 go 4 what I want to achieve here ( basically some muscle lag during animation ) .. but damn if I can get it to behave predictably..

even of I parent the hand mesh to the root of the bone structure ( which is what the manual suggests for enveloped charaters ). .the soft body happens only if I translate the root .. and not when I am setting keys via the ik handle ( the root only rotates as per the Ik solution.. )..

or else i put the question another way.. how do i achieve muscle lag on enveloped characters when they are animated..

thnxx for the trouble guys..

pappuftp
12-29-2004, 11:31 AM
ok .. seems I am getting some results here .. after parenting the hand mesh under the first bone ( and not the root ) I get results as expected .. but xsi seems to be rather slow on this dept ( re computing the soft body.. ) .. also what if what I was to set a soft body on groups of clusters on a whole body instead on the arm .. what do I parent the mesh under .. huh ? !

any body ??

el_diablo
12-29-2004, 04:06 PM
I dunno...this may work but its not as pretty as using softbodies, although it may be improved further.

pappuftp
12-31-2004, 08:15 AM
the zip file seems to be corrupted .. .. I tried uploading a scene yesterday but it seems that cgtalk doesn't accept attachments bigger than 100kb.. well here is the mesh anyways

what I have done is import the hand ( which is in obj format ) apply a weight map , paint in the weight map ( having in fluence in the deltoid, triceps, biceps, and the upper forearm region ) ..later added a softbody to the mesh with decay influenced by the weightmap.. finally make a two bone chain ( arm bonez = upper arm and forearm )..as per the wise suggestion by the documentation ppl at softimage, i parented the mesh under the upper arm .. animated the ik and well i got some results !! .. but the forearm region ( of the mesh ) was not behaving predicatably since the soft body operator was getting its input from the upper arm bone.. I put the mesh under the forearm and now the upper arm region was behaving in a silly manner since now the softbody was taking its input from the forearm bone. .which brings me to the gist of the problem .. at any given time the softbody operator will take its inpout frm only one parent .. so if i have multiple softbody operators ( say two or three of them ) WHAT do i parent the rigged mesh under? .. rather silly way of getting flex/jiggle effects on ur character..

maybe as i said in the earlier post i should rephrase my question :

how do i achieve muscle lag on enveloped characters when they are animated..

ps : el-diablo, if u can gimme ur email addy I can mail u my scene file to see what I am talking abt ..

well here is the mesh anyways

thnx

pappuftp
12-31-2004, 11:17 AM
here is the xsi scene file . .( managed to get hold of a place to upload it .. )

http://rapidshare.de/files-en/260369/hand_scn.zip.html

have a look and tell me..

pappuftp
12-31-2004, 09:08 PM
anybody ????

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.