PDA

View Full Version : Polygon reducer

Fudge
12-28-2004, 08:11 AM
hey all, iv made a model for a game but it is slighty too high poly for it, so i use blenders decimator (reduces polys) but it isnt too good and gives horrible resaults.
So i wonderd if any knew of a free polygon reduction tool they could link me to?

Thanks, Fudge

salmonmoose
12-28-2004, 07:33 PM
I don't think there is any software that can do the job of a good human eye.

The ONLY thing I can think of that doesn't make a complete mess is ZBrush, which can "unsubdivide" a model if it's all quads.

Fudge
12-28-2004, 08:09 PM
well that is what i need but as you guessed im using blender so i really cant afford to buy zbrush, is there an alternitive?

Fudge

SpeccySteve
12-28-2004, 10:32 PM
Well, if it's only "Slightly too high poly" you'll likely be easier doing it manually.

Nvidia's "Melody" is for generating normal maps but it can be used to reduce polycounts too, again though, it's unlikely to work as well as doing it the old fashioned way.

Melody only supports .3ds , .obj and .ply formats so you may need to hunt around for a converter / plugin. I haven't used Blender for ages but I do seem to remember its file formats being a bit restrictive.

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/melody_home.html

Fudge
12-29-2004, 08:20 AM
hi, thanks im downloaing it now (blender recently had loads of new import features so im going to use obj) also another question do normal map slow down the game engine, becouse if it does why not just use more polys then?

Fudge

Fudge
12-29-2004, 09:33 AM
hey thanks but when i try that i get an error message saying "your graphics card does not support pixel shader 2.0" but im not sure why, im using a ati radeon 9000 which is quite new, any idea's?

Fudge

ChimpanG
01-01-2005, 02:31 AM
thats a seriously low budget card, thats why.

salmonmoose
01-01-2005, 06:34 AM
Yeah, radeon 9000's only support pixel shader 1.3 (i think), they're newish, but they're really budget. The problem you're getting is that the software you're trying to use has a main feature that is designed to work with pixelshaders 2.0 (normal mapping).

You might be able to either override the pixel shader stuff with a command line arguement, or, it might JUST be possible to emulate pixel shader 2.0 in software, I don't know how you'd go about doing this tho.

xtrudeh
01-02-2005, 05:52 PM
I think either do it manualy or remodel the piece...

happy modeling :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.