PDA

View Full Version : NewTek is at it again.....

proton
09-03-2002, 09:40 PM
We have something big planned for the end of this week....be sure to check back here or over at the Newtek site on Thursday....Your gonna love this!

yog
09-03-2002, 10:01 PM
Aaaggghhhh !!!!! :eek: :cool: :D

proton
09-03-2002, 10:05 PM
good thinsg come to those that wait :wavey:

yon dabuda
09-03-2002, 10:09 PM
is it thursday yet? is it thursday yet???
argghhhhh

Joril
09-03-2002, 10:11 PM
I think Newtek is the only company which is doing this kind of efford for it's community.
Quite remarkable :D
Thanks alot, I can't wait to see what this is about!

DigitalDeuce
09-03-2002, 10:16 PM
William said to me, hey, you're in town, come by -- I want to show you something.

So, I went to his cube -- looked at his monitor -- and he quickly said, "Oh no -- not this!!" and clicked on a different window to cover what was up.

Now I didn't get a real good look, but it made me really really curious -- it did look cool, but I wasn't real sure what I was looking at.

Oh man. What did I see.

PNelson
09-03-2002, 10:17 PM
HOLY CRAP!! I just walked by Protons cube and saw something very cool!!!!!!

I'll give you a hint... Something that all artists will like... Large and small... Talented and talentless....3D or 2D..... Sweet or Sour... DOH... gotta stop with that one..

;)

See Ya,
Philip Nelson
NewTek

MGuerra
09-03-2002, 10:24 PM
Wow, I walked over to Williams desk to see if he had finished cleaning all the "droppings" off his computer (another story) and what did I see? Well, something really cool, but I was quickly given an oath of secrecy, so I can't say what it is yet... Sorry...

Joril - I appreciate your comments on our involvement with the LightWave community. We really strive to keep everyone up-to-date and involved with what we're doing here. :cool:

Underwurlde
09-03-2002, 10:31 PM
''I'll give you a hint... Something that all artists will like... Large and small... Talented and talentless....3D or 2D..... Sweet or Sour... DOH... gotta stop with that one..''

hmmmm, sounds like a lot of ladies I've dated !

Scott

P.s In two days I shall be the proud owner of a new copy of LightWave 7.5, so I can't wait to find out what this is
:)

argon
09-03-2002, 10:33 PM
Hey Will,

That thing is starting to smell up the engineering department. When do you plan on releaseing to the public?

proton
09-03-2002, 10:35 PM
I'll make a deal to everyone....If you swing by my desk at NewTek I'll show it to you...but you have to keep it a secret till Thursday :)

Argon- That smell is coming from Philip's cube.....not sure what it is tho.....

proton
09-03-2002, 10:36 PM
congrats on the purchace of LW....

mjm
09-03-2002, 10:41 PM
If I fly down there, can I walk by your desk and see? :p

Damn, and I used to live only a few hours away...

Underwurlde
09-03-2002, 10:45 PM
William / Mr Proton, thanks

I used a friends version quite a few times and ended up getting totally hooked, the modeler and renderer are amazing. I own Maya Complete but plan on using LW for the forseeable future, shame A|W don't allow transfer of licences or I would be selling it, so people learn from my huge mistake and go buy LightWave :)

proton
09-03-2002, 10:48 PM
If you fly down I will take you to lunch and show you what's cooking here :)

Lizard Head
09-03-2002, 10:50 PM
OH OH OH OH I KNOW!!!!! one of two things!!!

a) it is a texturing contest but you cant use bitmaps or scripts

OR

b) these Newtek guys really love seeing us all panic and clog up this board till the server crashes (going for the post record arent ya guys?)

:shame:

Adios
Lizard*

policarpo
09-03-2002, 10:51 PM
can we go to that really nice Chinese Buffet place next to KB Toys?

WOO HOO!

I am so there!

-policarpo

:drool:

proton
09-03-2002, 11:00 PM
Lizard Head.....

a) nope
b) nope

Policarpo...sure come on down....

Underwurlde
09-03-2002, 11:03 PM
If it is a ' all people who bought LW in the last week get a complete refund' type surprise then I will personally snog everyone at Newtek !

anim8r2
09-03-2002, 11:45 PM
Well, "Free Stuff" fits your riddle.

Finally! Hats for everybody!!! YAY

(Yes, Hats that say "7.5b". Hasn't it been a year now since .5 hit the market?)

mjm
09-04-2002, 12:52 AM
Too bad a certain someone already bought his hat a while ago, when they were still offered. :p

Deuce, have you gotten your time machine working yet? We need to get to Thursday in the next few hours, or the LW community is going to develop a single, unified, excitement-induced ulcer the size of Mothra.

DigitalDeuce
09-04-2002, 12:54 AM
My time machine is working - I can tell ya that -

Just suffering a little from 'accuracy' -- I've jumped to Thursday -- but not sure WHICH Thursday.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

CIM
09-04-2002, 01:55 AM
Let the hype begin.

I wish NT would actually hype something good--maybe like the next version of LW. All the other companies are showing off there new, up-and-coming version of their software.

proton
09-04-2002, 02:01 AM
Sorry that you don't feel the stuff we are doing is good....I for one feel that the stuff NewTek is doing for the LightWave Community is Great....Including working on the next release of LightWave....

As far as the other companies go...NewTek has never been like other companies and I hope they always remain that way!

DigitalDeuce
09-04-2002, 02:04 AM
Hype brings any aspect of the software or company to the front of people's thoughts and discussions.

I would think that the 'hype' that William "Proton" is doing at NewTek is beneficial, regardless of what that 'hype' is about.

Empowering the users - that is a good hype point.

CIM
09-04-2002, 02:15 AM
I think it's good what NT is doing, but as I've said before: there is more to the LW community than newbies. Sure what you're are doing is great for the newbies out there, just starting out, but anyone that has experience with LW gets nothing from it really.

Chewey
09-04-2002, 02:24 AM
I see a "half full" glass.

I'd like to give my vote of approval for the effort. This is good stuff for the crowd it's geared at.

I'm no newbie but I still check out the tutes as you never know when and where you'll find a cool little nugget of Lightwave goodness that you hadn't known about before.

proton
09-04-2002, 02:25 AM
Again...I'd have to disagree....I'm not a newbie and I've already picked up several new techniques from the Contest.....

I also recieve around 50 emails a day from new users and advanced that are all learning from the tutorials and Model files....and the contest as well....

With the experience you seem to have...I'd love to give you an open invitation to create some advanced tutorials for the LightWave site....We could all benifit from that....Just let me know if you are interested...

DigitalDeuce
09-04-2002, 02:26 AM
CIM, I'm going to respond to this in a way that I hope you take the way that I intend, which is not to flame or bash -- 'ok?

I have used LightWave since about version .5 -- I can't remember how long. Still, to this day, I'll purchase every book, every video, look at every tutorial, read every 'how to' that comes out.

Why? I consider myself to be 'pro' at LightWave. I'm certainly no newbie. I do it because there is always, and I do mean always some other way to do something. Some little trick, some tip, that I haven't run across before. I'm always learning something new, and the price of any book or video is offset by learning that one trick or tip. If anyone thinks that there is nothing new to learn about any software that they use daily, then it is a simple application. I've about maxed out what I can do with notepad, but not a software that's as complex as a 3D modeling / animation / surfacing application. It's the strength of the application that allows for so many ways to do the same thing, and it's the artist who knows all the ways that is more flexible.

CIM -- I think I get a feeling for where you're coming from, and I in no means am focusing this at you in particular. Just kinda a general "this is all for newbies" response, it just happened that you were the last post of that nature that I read. Please, I don't mean anything toward you personally, understand that.

moovieboy
09-04-2002, 02:29 AM
Rewinding to the first few notes of this thread...

Oh great... Like I'm still waiting for TODAY's nonsense at work to end and now you're telling me to wait until THURSDAY??

Proton, I hope your significant other says YOU get nothing until THURSDAY too! :D

-Tom

proton
09-04-2002, 02:30 AM
If I don't take abreak from all this work it might be longer then thursday.....:eek:

moovieboy
09-04-2002, 02:32 AM
Serves ya right for teasing all us people who are nowhere near your desk to come take a peek! :)

And with that, I'm going home to my wife and lil' avatar! :D

-Tom

DigitalDeuce
09-04-2002, 02:34 AM
I've met Mrs. Proton, and trust me.

She's a very very patient and understanding woman.

Look who she married for cryin out loud !!

:p :p

Lizard Head
09-04-2002, 03:11 AM
Well whatever the thursday announcment I am sure it will be great!!! I to have found the LW community to be less "anal" than the other software communities, one of the reasons I stuck it out in my learning of LW was just because of this kinda of excitment in the community, another was the how much sharing of scripts and ideas goes on for users. I only use LW 5.6c so I am sure i cant take part in the texturing contest because one cant use outside plugins, things that are now standard on LW 7.X,,,but none the less, it's great that members of the the company are here to keep it together.

SO if there is a Mrs Proton,, is there any little neutrons at home???? is that were Jimmy Neutron came from???

Adios
Lizard*

proton
09-04-2002, 03:28 AM
No little Protons running around...that would be truly scary :eek:

mjm
09-04-2002, 03:34 AM
Yeah, I think you also would probably create some turmoil within the heirarchy of children. I mean, the first two would be looked at as having the guts of the love of the parents, while the rest would just be little "features." Guess you can't name every child Layout and Modeler, though :p

proton
09-04-2002, 03:45 AM
If I had kids I would probably be busted for having LightWave sweat shop :eek:

Lizard Head
09-04-2002, 06:13 AM
WOW no little ones, I thought when two protons were attracted to each other like nuclear fusion occured and tons of particles spewed forth in a hail of sparks :love:.......... nothing like that going on I see!!!! hmmmmmm maybe Einstein had it all wrong

LOL
Adios
Lizard :thumbsup:

ALSO newtek guys,,, I came across this site http://openfx.org/about/index.php and it states the creators name as Stu Ferguson ( did I spell that right?) Is that the one and same as I see in the credits of LW???

leigh
09-04-2002, 07:32 AM
WOOOOHOOOOO!! ANOTHER SURPRISE!!
I love this stuff :D
Are you going to tell us that we are also allowed to use Saslite in the contest?? Is that it? Is it?? :bounce:

hehehehehe

:applause: A round of applause for all the guys at Newtek who give such a fantastic contribution to their community! :applause:

SMH
09-04-2002, 09:21 AM
Hi,

I missed the first one, but I'll be on the edge of my seat for this one. I just hope it's big. Have fun waiting.:D

Cheers,:wavey:

Bytehawk
09-04-2002, 11:14 AM
goody goody, another prezzie

keep this up and you'll have the whole LW community on the edge of their seat every week !

JohnD
09-04-2002, 01:56 PM
I agree. I love Newtek surprises too. I'm not a newbie, been using the software for 5 years now, but I love the relationship Newtek has with it's customers. I guess u just can't please all the people all the time. Bummer.

tayse
09-04-2002, 03:15 PM
we will be able to paint our textures directly onto model ,like in Zbrush or deeppaint3D....maybe like in mirai ...

is that it ?

BTW ,I think newtek has to give a gift to one ,who can guess the answer correctly ,I think we deserve it after lots of brainstorming about what it is...

please raise your hand ,if you agree with me....

yog
09-04-2002, 05:29 PM
The latest release of Aura that integrates with LW for real time 3D painting ?
or
A design a logo competition (hence both 3D and 2D can partake)
or

Underwurlde
09-04-2002, 07:49 PM
It would be great if Newtek held a competition similar to the current texturing one, except with the aim being to write the best tutorial. Whoever wins gets a prize and Newtek would get a great tutorial for their site, so everyone wins !

Just an idea...

Scott.

proton
09-04-2002, 08:20 PM
Underwurlde....You read my mind....Policarpo and I have talked about this....and the prize might be a ticket into the Beta list :)

Bytehawk
09-04-2002, 08:24 PM
BH

I was just about to suggest the same thing...
I am writing a very good tutorial as we speak :applause:

yon dabuda
09-04-2002, 08:29 PM
proton: sorry, whats the beta list? hehe sounds cool.

proton
09-04-2002, 08:34 PM
I don't have specifics...but the talk is that we would like to see 2 beginner and 2 advanced tuts.......but nothing is concrete....

Lizard Head
09-04-2002, 08:41 PM
This is exactley what I had in mind also!!!! but take a step further,, 2 advanced and two 2 beginner in each catagory...

Animation
Modeling
FX
Expressions
Texturing
etc etc etc

Damn!!! NT would have a rich pool of diverse content to post at thier new and upcomming website.

ADios
Lizard*

Underwurlde
09-04-2002, 11:30 PM
Yon Dabuda,

I'm sure William/Proton or one of the guys at Newtek will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that being on the Beta list means you get to try out the next iteration of LightWave and all it's goodies before the rest of us, in other words helping with bug/feature testing etc. I'm happy with 7.5 , got mine tonight (!) , so I'm now an official LightWaver and loving it so far :)

policarpo
09-04-2002, 11:32 PM
welcome to the family UnderWurlde!

Bytehawk
09-04-2002, 11:44 PM
good on ya !

CU around

Underwurlde
09-04-2002, 11:45 PM
thanx policarpo, I decided to jump in at the deep end and have spent a couple of hours modeling an Audi TT ( go to http://www.splinegod.com for a cool spline tutorial, and then www.lw3dg.org for a great car tut ) and so far it's being going really well, coming over from Maya , I expected a few problems but ... not so far, biggest compliment I can pay to LW is that i ENJOY using, it isn't a chore. I ended up having to buy it because I was taking over my friends computer, and using it for work ! The best thing is that when you model something good, and this normally takes many hours ( ! ) , you know you have an awesome renderer that will make the best of what you have made. Most of my work is freelance and using Maya, great as its animation tools are, is not really an option. The renderer just isn't good enough. Says it all when Brazil for 3ds max is $1200, and LW is roughly the same price for a fantastic modeler and renderer...

Just my opinion

Scott:)

ByteHawk,

Your sure to see me around, probably pestering you with questions ! :p

eheupel
09-04-2002, 11:52 PM
Timewarp-

[QUOTE]Originally posted by proton
[B]I'll make a deal to everyone....If you swing by my desk at NewTek I'll show it to you...but you have to keep it a secret till Thursday :)

Hey my folks are up in Fredericksburg, maybe it's time to visit them by way of S.A. -

in the mean time maybe Chuck or Paul or someone would be willing to hook a camera to a T[2] and give us a PROTON SHOW streaming live and all...

Bytehawk
09-05-2002, 12:05 AM
that would be fun
the LW gang live on the net
:thumbsup:

exe
09-05-2002, 04:40 AM
So? It's thursday!!! :bounce: What's new? Where? I want to see it!

proton
09-05-2002, 04:46 AM
not thursday yet :)

here in San Antonio :p

mjm
09-05-2002, 05:09 AM
Pfeh. Technicalities. :p

yon dabuda
09-05-2002, 06:45 AM
ah, yeah :)

ClingFree
09-05-2002, 01:52 PM
It's Thursday now...this should be interesting.:bounce:

proton
09-05-2002, 02:01 PM
we're putting the final touches on it and then I'll send everyone a link :thumbsup:

AnimaLMotheR
09-05-2002, 02:35 PM
Hurry up will ya. :D

New
09-05-2002, 02:54 PM
:surprised
I also want to see it soon ;)

Cman
09-05-2002, 03:16 PM
Still waiting...

leigh
09-05-2002, 03:21 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

isnowboard
09-05-2002, 03:25 PM
12:26am Friday early, early, early morning my time. Work at 9am. What's up?

More specific on the time please, and save me some sleep! You had a few days to prepare, didn't ya?

Just waiting like the rest of the bunch here....

Rabid pitbull
09-05-2002, 03:38 PM
:rolleyes: ok please let this live up to the hype... :hmm:

iratethemad
09-05-2002, 03:44 PM
mmmmm lightwave :love:

oh! hey i hope it's what i think it is

LyonHaert
09-05-2002, 03:48 PM
:buttrock:

just getting ready >.]

tsmit47
09-05-2002, 04:04 PM
All I gotta say is that with all this hype it better be good :bounce:

If its something new with Aura or something Im going to be POed :annoyed:

isnowboard
09-05-2002, 04:06 PM
Or maybe this is where Luxology jumps in and steals the show...........

jan_muentinga
09-05-2002, 04:11 PM
maybe this:http://www.lw3d.com/tutorials/animation/flocking_birds/index.html

cheers
jan

leigh
09-05-2002, 04:21 PM
Hey peeps, what's with all this negativity? :surprised
I'm sure whatever it is, it will be worth the hype - so stop worrying about it!
:cool:
:bounce:
:airguitar

KOlson
09-05-2002, 04:26 PM
Hurry Hurry, I came home on lunch break just for this! hehehe ;)

Cman
09-05-2002, 04:28 PM
That flocking tut looks pretty cool! :thumbsup:

I wonder did "jan_muentinga" still Proton's thunder? Or is there something more!?

mjm
09-05-2002, 04:30 PM
That was posted already, actually (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19853). So William still has a thunderstorm the size of Texas with him :p

proton
09-05-2002, 04:42 PM
The web team is finetuning the page I built....so once it's ready I'll let you know....

PresidentEvil
09-05-2002, 04:46 PM
Does it start with a N and ends with US ?
Evil

leigh
09-05-2002, 04:47 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
:bounce: :airguitar :cool: :thumbsup: :applause:

isnowboard
09-05-2002, 04:48 PM
Who's got screenshots?

KOlson
09-05-2002, 04:49 PM
Dang! I gotta go back to work, Im gonna miss all the excitement! oh well, soon enough!

dies-irae
09-05-2002, 04:53 PM
FINETUNING???
AAARG!!!!!

you let us here, craving for something we don't know yet what it is and you talk of FINETUNING ?

oh, you bad boy...
bad boy...
;) ;)

jan_muentinga
09-05-2002, 04:56 PM
anyway, i think u all can expect some very nice tutorials in the next time.
do you remember, a while ago there was a tutorial contest on a german site (www.rendering.de), and it came out very nice...
i think they are translating it to english right now....

cheers
jan

rebfx
09-05-2002, 06:12 PM
Where is everybody?
You guys looking at this somewhere?:buttrock:

Psyhke
09-05-2002, 06:44 PM
<...CRICKETS CHIRPING...>

<...TUMBLEWEED BLOWS BY...>

<...MORE CRICKETS CHIRPING...>

takkun
09-05-2002, 06:55 PM
Maybe he meant Thursday next week...

mpiper
09-05-2002, 07:25 PM
I found a PDF download for the Rich Pixel Format. That is all I see Lightwave related. Anyone else found anything???
:drool:

Cman
09-05-2002, 07:33 PM

Per-Anders
09-05-2002, 07:41 PM
maybe it's the new images in the gallery? a joy for 2d and 3d people alike?

DigitalDeuce
09-05-2002, 07:50 PM
No, it's none of the above.

I have tried to reach Proton to find out something -- and he's in a secret meeting. When that meeting is over, it will be made public what it's about.

Guess a few gremlins got into the works this time.

It's coming, and I have been told that it will be posted today, timing is just not really known.

It will be announced here.

Patience for a little bit more.

takkun
09-05-2002, 07:51 PM
3 hours of finetuning...

3 hours and 1 minute of finetuning...

3 hours and 1 minute and 30 seconds of finetuning...

mjm
09-05-2002, 07:51 PM
Just to add to speculation, I'm thinking it probably has something to do with the LW-Evangelist stuff - maybe an animation/short film contest using the objects?

Gotta love the LW Conspiracy Theories.

Per-Anders
09-05-2002, 08:00 PM
who knows i would have thought tho that if it were a competition there wouldnt be any gremlins as such (unless we're talking the dreaded getting sign off) so mebbe... here's hoping... what i want to know is with this being a joy for 2d and 3d people alike... re-reading that does that mean it's for people in the valley as well as the rest of the world?

Timothy
09-05-2002, 08:20 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

sorry.... the wait is getting painful :surprised

rebfx
09-05-2002, 08:23 PM
My Guess?

Newtek signs a deal with Worley where the new G2 is integrated into the free lightwave 7.75...

I can dream can't I.:hmm:

SMH
09-05-2002, 08:25 PM
Timothy you probably speak...errr..SCREAM for all of us...:scream:

Lizard Head
09-05-2002, 08:48 PM
Gaffer 2? Free? HA!!! it'll never happen......

No its got to be something more sinister,, something more juicey,,,I think Newtek knows who shot JFK!!!! and they figured it out with thier NEW (improved) SOFT/HARD BODIES DYNAMICS modual!!!!!! thats the announcement!!!!

OR.. they are all sitting thier at one monitor laughing at us all as we post away at this thread

C'mon NT

Adios
Lizard*

polarman3d
09-05-2002, 08:50 PM
I'm so anxious I'm getting an ulcer!

:bounce:

Chewey
09-05-2002, 08:57 PM
Could it be the introduction of a new "GON" type thingie?

CIM
09-05-2002, 09:03 PM
Dorkgon.

one333
09-05-2002, 09:09 PM
photorealhumangons

ClingFree
09-05-2002, 09:11 PM
Wasn't the smartgon thing supposed to be out about now?

KOlson
09-05-2002, 09:12 PM
Wow, still nothing? I didnt miss it then! :D

Chewey
09-05-2002, 09:51 PM
doggon?
wildon?
polygon?

tsmit47
09-05-2002, 09:54 PM
This is getting so stupid

Im not sure this is going to be what its being hyped to be.

NT is getting on my nerves. All this crud going on with Luxology and all the hyped up nonsense on each side you dont know who to trust.

Meshbuilder
09-05-2002, 09:59 PM
Now itīs Friday in Sweden :)

takkun
09-05-2002, 09:59 PM
Hurry up, Newtek!!!

I really got to pee!

proton
09-05-2002, 10:03 PM
The site goes up in about an hour....The web team was having issues with the form on the page.....

As far as this being over hyped...That would not be on NewTek's part...I simply posted a thread that said something cool was going to happen today...and in my opinion something cool WILL happen today....

If the LW community wants to let their imagination run wild...I think that's perfectly ok...but don't get upset with NewTek...if anything get upset with me...NewTek doesn't ask me to post anything in the forums...I do most of the posts on my own time.....

If this kind of thread is going to cause people to be upset with NewTek I will make sure it is my last one of this kind......

Chewey
09-05-2002, 10:03 PM
BugBeegon?

anim8r2
09-05-2002, 10:08 PM
I guess this is what happens when you ask; "How do you keep a jackass in suspense?" ;)

I'm curious too, but hey, we live in the computer age, so shite like this is bound to happen.

Cman
09-05-2002, 10:10 PM
Nah Proton!
Keep the info coming!:wip:

anim8r2
09-05-2002, 10:11 PM
Doh!! I missed your post Proton.

Nah, keep posting. I like to get a chance to speculate (as has a lot of others here). Only a few people seem to get bent out of shape when everything doesn't go perfectly.

takkun
09-05-2002, 10:12 PM
Proton, I think that some people take all of these announcements to mean that Lightwave 7.6 or 7.7 is going to be released and get upset with anything less than that.

I personally don't mind the Newtek hype, it's always something cool, useful, helpful.

yog
09-05-2002, 10:13 PM
Hmm, "form on the page", sounds interesting :)

Don't worry Will, I'm pretty sure the silent majority are taking this in the spirit it was meant.
I must confess that I got a little antsy half way through the first round last week, but by the end of it I was having great fun with the antisipation, and I'm thourghly enjoying this weeks installment :bounce:
Not had this much fun in the Lightwave community for ages.

I think that enlightenment comes when you realise that it's just software (albeit rocking software :buttrock: ) and that we will all be doing similar thing tomorrow to that which we did today. Or is that a bit too much Zen :cool:

Keep up the good work, it's very much appricated.

Chewey
09-05-2002, 10:13 PM
no good deed goes unpunished as they say.

Don't let it discourage you. Freebies always draw an anxious crowd with a voracious appetite.

DigitalDeuce
09-05-2002, 10:19 PM
Well stated Chewey.

Those that like it -- will like it.

Those that don't? Who cares, I'm one of the one's that will like it.

Timothy
09-05-2002, 10:25 PM
Hey Proton,

Don't let us get you down... keep up your great work. The gallery, the contest, the board participation are all things that seem to have really taken off because of your enthuisasm and hard work. Thank you.

But... (isn't there always a "but") You said "We have something big planned for the end of this week...." the key word is "big". Now when you make this type of statement we assume that it our version of big (new version, major feature, timetable info). Those are the types of things we view as big. It just a matter of making sure that your definition of big is the same as your target groups definition of big.

As far as hype.... as I read this thread and the one at Newtek, nobody has really stated that it would be anything... I did not see any "hype".... other than people hoping for a "big" announcement. Overall everyone has stayed pretty level headed.

Again, thank you very much for your blood, sweat and tears that you have been pouring into our community.

New
09-05-2002, 10:28 PM
Most of us are waiting anxiously for the new. And still loving newtek the same as always ;)

In Spain when we are waiting for something cool like this we say: "no hay coņo más sano que la palma de la mano"

jajaja

It is a joke!

LW people rlz! :bounce: :bounce:

Steve Warner
09-05-2002, 10:29 PM
Sheesh guys! I haven't checked the other app's forums, but I think we should all count our blessings to have input from the folks at NewTek. The fact that they're doing something - anything - for us is something to be appreciative of. I don't know the last time Adobe posted a message saying something cool was going to be posted on their site in the next day or two. Nor do I recall them ever asking me for a tutorial on After Effects, even though I've used the program for years.

Felytendect was right. I think most people anticipate any message from NewTek as a hint that a new LW version will be released. But the mere fact that NewTek is interested in supporting its user base with tutorials, challenges, etc. is cool. It brings us together and makes you feel pretty good to be a LW user (as if you don't already).

Proton, thanks for all your hard work. I didn't know that you were posting here in your "off" time. Your efforts are not going unappreciated.

Take care,

Steve

Julez4001
09-05-2002, 10:32 PM
Well said, the definition of Big is really ambigious but your definition og Big is mine too. Software upgrades, software tool, timetable ingo.....or at least soemthing that "taron" would go and say "kool".

Define big

At the end of the week we got some big techiques and skillls for you. It narrows the surprise but it curves the 'bah, humbugs afterwards.

eheupel
09-05-2002, 10:50 PM
Keep it coming Proton...it's refreshing and fun.

For the upgrade expectations...get real folks. Proton is an Evangelist for NT. BUT when it comes to the releasing of a major patch or upgrade, he wouldn't leak that in any way, shape or form. Too damaging to his career choice. When the upgrade/patch/whatever comes about you will find out about it the usual way- an official announcement (even if by Proton) that will specify exact date of release, where to get etc...

Proton is doing awesome things for the community, and these threads have been great fun too. Especially when I LMAO at those who really think he's giving the heads up on a major product upgrade release.

proton
09-05-2002, 10:57 PM
Define BIG....sounds a bit like President Clinton to me :p

Underwurlde
09-05-2002, 10:58 PM
I agree, I'm willing to bet the half eaten hamburger I'm currently holding that the next LW release will be 8. 7.5 was a great freebie, and still people want more !!!! Get real !

proton
09-05-2002, 11:00 PM
Steve-

I'm so busy during the day that most of my posts come after hours....that's when I get to work on things like the Contests...Tutorials, and some top secret stuff I have in the worx for you guys.....

I basically work a double some times triple shift....:eek:

Underwurlde
09-05-2002, 11:02 PM
not a Smooth shift, Proton !?

mjm
09-05-2002, 11:03 PM
Oh no, puns have started to invade the thread :p

polarman3d
09-05-2002, 11:03 PM
You are the man, Proton! We are VERY grateful!

Valkyrien
09-05-2002, 11:21 PM
*twiddles his thumbs a bit*

well? you've obviously been out of that meeting for a bit now....

got anythign you'd like to share? :D:D

proton
09-05-2002, 11:28 PM
web team sent me the link and I found a broken link.....once they fix it I will send it...

KOlson
09-05-2002, 11:31 PM
I can cut the suspense in here with a knife hehe

Valkyrien
09-05-2002, 11:33 PM
knife? i think it'd take somesort of laser saw...;)

proton
09-05-2002, 11:34 PM
Here you go....sorry about the wait....but then again...could've been worse...you could have been waiting in line ;)

These are the first of many in this section...hope you guys get as much use out of them as I have....

http://www.newtek.com/freestuff

mjm
09-05-2002, 11:39 PM
Two words: You rock. :)

polarman3d
Let me just repeat myself here...You are the MAN!!! These are much needed....:applause:

policarpo
hot damn.

i'm working on a project right now that i'll definitely be able to use some of these on....

thanks for the cool free stuff!

-policarpo

Cman
09-05-2002, 11:40 PM
Not bad. Not bad at all. :)

Bytehawk
09-05-2002, 11:40 PM
kewl stuff

thanks !!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :beer: :beer:

Valkyrien
09-05-2002, 11:42 PM
frickin' awesome!!

thanks to you and everyone at NewTek for this, proton!:)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

KOlson
Sweet! Many thanks :D

Bytehawk
what other software do you use
-> notepad

ROTFL
:applause: :applause: :applause:

DigitalDeuce
Very very cool.

Freestuff good.
Useful freestuff even better.

ROCK ON !!!

:beer:

proton
09-05-2002, 11:44 PM
there are alot more where that came from...hundreds actually...I've used many in my work..and have found them priceless....more to come...I promise....and something Big soon!

:beer: now I'm taking the guys from NewTek Mexico out to get Drunk (to repay the favor from when I was there):beer:

SMH
09-05-2002, 11:44 PM
Hi Proton,:applause:

Thank you for the "gifts". Good textures and fonts are like money, the more you have the more you can do. Don't be upset by those critics, you're doing a great job and we all need you among us here.

Keep 'em coming,:wavey:

New
09-05-2002, 11:49 PM
Thanks! Will be very helpfull :thumbsup:

We want more cool things like this! :D :D

good job proton ;)

Steve Warner
09-05-2002, 11:58 PM
Sweet! Thanks, Proton!

As a side note, I just got a 5 Megapixel digital camera and have been building my own texture library. Are you interested in contributions from others?

Thanks again! This was worth the wait! :thumbsup:

Steve

P.S. Double and triple shifts? Dude, take a break. You deserve it! :)

Valkyrien
09-06-2002, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by proton
there are alot more where that came from...hundreds actually...I've used many in my work..and have found them priceless....more to come...I promise....and something Big soon!

big? like "announcing LW8" big?

or like "announcing LW 7.8 update" big?

:D:D

anim8r2
09-06-2002, 12:35 AM
Notepad (hehehe)

Great job Proton! I know what a pain in the arse it can be to troubleshoot websites...

Thanks for the new toys!

Chuck Baker
09-06-2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Valkyrien
big? like "announcing LW8" big?

or like "announcing LW 7.8 update" big?

:D:D

"Big" like he couldn't resist teasing folks after all the discussion about "Big"...

anieves
09-06-2002, 12:53 AM
Cool,

now the wait begins for the other announcement....

Bytehawk
09-06-2002, 01:07 AM
Chuck B to the rescue !!!
:thumbsup:

proton
09-06-2002, 02:16 AM
Just got back from drinking with my buddies Carlos and Victor..Great Guys...Carlos is a BAd A$$ at Lightwave in Mexico City....

Glad you all like the new stuff...there are more where that came from...I will also try and set up a way to except images from the users that have emailed to contribute....this is the community that I've grown to love......always willing to pitch in....

My wife is asking for equal attention...so you guys will have to share....I'll sign off for the night...

Expect great things in the days and weeks to come....NewTek is all about the users...I hope to continue to live up to that :wavey:

proton
09-06-2002, 02:30 AM
one more thing...then I'll go before my wife give up on me....please tell everyone you know about these textures...the more downloads....the more incentive NewTek will have to give away more stuff...like more textures...Models....scenes...etc...

Thanx for spreading the word! and enjoy the treats...

E_Moelzer
09-06-2002, 02:36 AM
Yo, William rocks, Chuck rocks, Ricky rocks, Phillip rocks, all people at Newtek rock!!! Sigh, they feel like family to me (if this starts to sound stupid, it is because it is nearing 5 am here in Austria and I am still working, so just ignore if you think I am behaving inappropriate).
Anyway I am very happy with the new stuff William provides every day.
I think that NewTek has become a lot stronger in all terms since this years Siggraph. Anyone else here sharing this opinion?
So carry on the great work folks!
CU
Elmar

CIM
09-06-2002, 03:02 AM
If it's actually something "big"; NT will keep it secret until the day of it's release.

Lizard Head
09-06-2002, 04:07 AM
Thanks Newtek and all,, just got in from my CAD classes and got in on what all the hub bub was about, very great Idea great resource.

Take care all

Adios
Lizard*

LyonHaert
09-06-2002, 04:53 AM
just reiterating:

Meshbuilder
09-06-2002, 07:22 AM
Thanks a lot.. Highres textures are always good :)

New
09-06-2002, 11:53 AM
Wow, the textures are really good all of them!!

Thanx again! ;)

dies-irae
09-06-2002, 12:02 PM
GREAT JOB!!!

go spend some time with your wife, you deserve it!!!!
:love: :love:

proton
09-06-2002, 12:43 PM
Spent time with my wife (after drinking with the NewTek Mexico guys) and I'm back and ready to go :)

Rabid pitbull
09-06-2002, 05:20 PM
very nice collection! would it be possible in future to offer a downloadable zip as well? maybe one per section? i like the way you can pick and choose, but on a 56k (dark ages i know..) it takes some time to just preview the page. might be nice to just hit a button and work on something else.

i am really happy to see how newtek is supporting its customers so well. i believe this is exceptionally rare and valueable! thanks !!!:applause:

DigitalDeuce
09-06-2002, 05:21 PM
That has been brought up and is being considered. Many people asked this .

proton
09-06-2002, 06:22 PM
there are plenty more on the way.....we will look into various ways to help with downloads

DigitalDeuce
09-06-2002, 06:24 PM
There ya go.

BAM !!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.