PDA

View Full Version : Root not facing Forward

tom.lowe
12-27-2004, 12:33 PM
The problem is this, the handle (translateXYZ thingy) for the root joint on my character is at a angle of about 45 degrees so I can't just move the character forward and back.

I have checked the axis for the joint in Component Type mode and the XYZ line up correctly with the root so I need some help.

Any suggestions

Merry Christmas everyone

poly-phobic
12-27-2004, 02:49 PM
set the local rotation axis [LRA] to line up with world space coordinates.

in component mode cick on the "?" sign in the status bar. then u can rotate the LRA to re center the transform gizmo to be properly alligned.

tom.lowe
12-27-2004, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the reply vladimir_

But i'm still not getting it, could you give a more idiots gude stating all the steps.

Like I said earlier I do know how to use the Component Mode but when I select Local and edit it i'm still finding it hard to lie up.

I have attached a few pics to help.

poly-phobic
12-27-2004, 05:01 PM
looks like you are doing the right thing. select that local rotation axis and rotate it to match world space coordinates.
a quicker workaround is to simply group the root to iself and point snap the pivot of that new group at the root joint . and call it root_translate or something, and constrain that group to your control object or COG if you have any

tom.lowe
12-27-2004, 06:02 PM
Thanks for your help vladimir_

But I'm just not getting it, I have been playing around in Component Mode rotating the Local Asix and making it line up with the world transform and then when I get that looking ok I still have the problem that when I go to move the Root joint in 'object' it is still wrong.

I must be a dumbass or something,

but thanks for your help

poly-phobic
12-27-2004, 07:28 PM
rigging is a tedious and fustrating process.

but your problem can be solved by simply grouping the root node to itself and place the pivot of the group on the root joint.

or create a locator and point snap it to the root joint, and orient constrain the root to the locator, since the newly created locator has its local rotation axis perfectly lined up with world coordinates, the root will change accordingly. then delete the orient constrain in the hypergraph

tom.lowe
12-27-2004, 08:47 PM
rigging is a tedious and fustrating process.
You can say that again

I understand what you are saying now, but when Maya corrects the axis and the transformXYZ is in line it effects my character and he looks like his belly has been pulled up slightly.

Thats because the vertices on his belly are influenced by the root so when the root's transform thingy is rotated upwards to line up the characters belly also follows.

Is there a way around this or would I need to unbind first?

poly-phobic
12-27-2004, 11:29 PM
i usually put a joint right above my root joint so i dont asign any weight values to my root.

it may be going down slightly because you are not in your default pose.

un-evaluate IK handles and go to bind pose then try rotating the LRA or do the this by grouping the root onto itself.

good luck with t for now.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.