PDA

View Full Version : Edge Removal

PetterSundnes
12-27-2004, 12:29 PM
There is one thing when modeling that annoys me. When removing edges or merging polygons in modeler, we get N-gons. When the model is a sub-patch model this causes proplems and a lot of search and destory is required with the polygons as Faces and not SubPatches.

Can someone point me to a plugin that welds and removes points so I dont have to go through the tedious work of removing them by hand after the edges are removed/polygons welded? Just select a chain of polygons, and press "remove/weld edge"

See attachment for the 3 steps required as of today, I want to skip the middle stage :)

Kvaalen
12-27-2004, 12:40 PM
It looks to me like what you want is BandGlue that comes with LightWave... :)

PetterSundnes
12-27-2004, 12:53 PM
Cool I didnt know about that one, and if I hide polygons along its path it stops the gluing there so I get local gluing. It would be nice to see a tool doing this though (see attached gif anim), so absolutely no extra welding is needed afterwards.

It seems I never get satisfied... http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/grin.gif

evenflcw
12-27-2004, 02:25 PM
Have you tried (dStorms) Remove Edge? Just by clicking on an edge it will remove it (merging the polygons on either side of it). If I remember correctly it will also remove any redundant points. It will however not create the tris as in your example.

Again, if I remember correctly (it was along time ago since I used LW) instead of hiding you can just aswell temporarily flip polygons to control what polygons BandGlue will merge. In other words, select all the polys you want to BandGlue, flip, BandGlue, flip back, Done!

PetterSundnes
12-27-2004, 02:32 PM
Yes, thats the problem, the points are left behind, creating n-gons. Its pretty much useless for SubPatched models. Until support for SubPatched n-gons are supported, it would be very nice to see such a plugin made. Perhaps I should really sit down and study LScript... get away from that Lingo stuff for a bit...

evenflcw
12-27-2004, 02:41 PM
I added abit in the last post...

Personally I don't like to much automation. If you could find 3rd party plugin SuperSplit (aka as_Split if I remeber correctly :); their like LWs native split but you don't have to select polygons) you could cut those tris in really fast.

I think your right about what you request shouldn't be too hard to do in lscript.

PetterSundnes
12-27-2004, 02:48 PM
Cool, that is a bit closer to the workflow I was hoping for... flipping, glue, unselect quads, triangulate, and flip them all around again. Not as speedy as it could have been, but still good enough to use.

Thanks http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.