PDA

View Full Version : Using rhino with XSI

ezaco
12-27-2004, 08:34 AM
I need tools to conver dxf to work in xsi, watched 3dquakers architecture tutorial and found out that rhino can be used. Now, i understand that rhino nurbs are much better than xsi. Is someone using rhino and xsi, do these programs work well together. Good, bad things? I dont want just throw away 900$.

bravmm
12-27-2004, 11:43 AM
If it's just dxf conversion u want, get Deep Exploration or Polytrans. No need for Rhino If you not gonna model outside XSI.
DXF is a "flat" exchange format and has nothing to do with nurbs, which is a modelling thingy based on math curves.

cheers,

rob

AmbiDextrose
12-27-2004, 02:26 PM
Hey there, Ezaco.

Bravmm is right. If you're not planning on using Rhino to model with, I'd just get a DXF to IGES converter. However, for what it's worth, Rhino has probably one of the best NURBS modelers out there (in any price range). Rhino can save files as IGES which can directly be imported into Softimage. If you're only doing curves then this is fine. If you plan to export/import surfaces then make sure that all your polysurfaces are closed (i.e. "watertight") otherwise, you might see unexpected holes in the model once it's in Softimage.

Hope this helps.

ezaco
12-27-2004, 09:06 PM
My free CAD and converter combo isnt working. I think it has something to do that xsi wants only certain types curves. So is there cheap cad that can export softimage xsi iges format. I buy rhino later.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.