PDA

View Full Version : Demo Reel - Character Animation

johweedee
12-27-2004, 06:28 AM
Hello, this is my first demo reel. I am beginning the search for an internship this summer and am looking for advice on how to make this better. All crits on any aspect of this reel would be appreciated. Thanks for watching!

View My Demo Reel (5 mb) (http://www.rit.edu/~jsd0377/DemoReel/DemoReel_web1.mov)

Tsahi
12-27-2004, 07:43 AM
you got some nice stuff there, man.
i'm not an expert on demo reel editing, but i do think a few touches could
spice it up:

-the music. i think the music should be replaced by something more lively and with a beat.
this music, made me want to get back to my warm bed (its morning here), and not make me jump. i think that since its a demo reel, the music should be something that attracts attention, so that the viewer will want to see more and get the feeling (from the music) that if he takes his eye off the frame for a second, he's gonna miss something important.
-when the frogs are talking, you might want to put the sound of the conversation too. maybe.
-i'm not sure about all the cutting back and forth between the frogs and the boy, they are not related to eachother and when it jumps back and forth more than once or twice, it reduces the flow.
-in order to have variety of animated scenes, and demostrait animation skills, you can take a few days to animate a short scene like in the "10 seconds club", with a ready-made character, and add it. it'll add volume to the demo reel.

good luck.

HenningK
12-31-2004, 11:41 PM
Yeah. Thats some good advice. Im not so worried about the music myself, but as creature ape says, you need more stuff to cut between if you're gonna do a montage reel. If you don't have the stuff, your reel can just be one piece... like the frogs for example... the whole short, with dialog. That looked like a neat piece, and though the animation was a little weak, design and lighting were very strong. The little boy shouldn't be included, he doesn't show off your design, animation or lighting skills.
-hen

KevinCCAD
01-04-2005, 01:48 AM
Be sure to get a walk cycle in there along with some characters showing different emotions.

rhino23
01-05-2005, 08:36 PM
Good work but here are some suggestions...

I agree with changing the music, your current selections tends to make the reel feel like it's dragging on.
Add the frogs lipsync audio, let everyone see, instead of guessing at, how well you synced them up.
Take out the clips of the boy throwing and running, they aren't the same caliber animation as the rest of your work.
Very good start at lipsyncing the boy, now take some time to tweak it and his facial features, that clip shows potential.
I don't know how necessary a walk cycle is, but a few clips dedicated to a character acting, such as the suggestion of the 10 second club, is a very good idea.
Finally, learn from my mistake, I made a reel similar to yours, cutting back and forth between clips of a few animations, only to find out that you definitely don't want to do that for an animation reel. Instead of interspersing your frog animation with other various animation clips, show the clips of the frog anim, and then the snowman clip, and the lipsync, etc... Cutting back and forth breaks the continuity and leaves the viewer grasping to relate the clips to each other. For a clearer example of what not to do see my old reel http://placidchaos.com/movies/reel1.mov and then you should understand what I was trying to say.
Hope this helped and good luck!

HenningK
01-12-2005, 09:26 AM
Heh. I just saw Pondlife in its entirety. I loved it.
Lemme know when you have a new cut of your demo.
-hen

johweedee
01-16-2005, 10:12 PM
thankyou all very much for the good advice. i will be putting another one together soon. stay tuned!

seankeeton
01-19-2005, 10:23 AM
Hey! It's me! Sean from RIT!

I think I told you in person that I really like the frog animation. They show great personality.

In terms of the kid, you're going to need a walk or a run cycle if this is for an animation reel, but that particular run is a bit funky, he seems to have something in his pants dragging him down. The lip synch is also important to have, but he should really be moving his arms and hips while he talks. I know you were focusing on the lip synch, but they might think you don't know how to have the character act while speaking. Also, the kid throwing the airplane is really stiff.

Also make sure to include a shot list when you send it out telling what you did and didn't do.

Hope that helps. Good stuff, good luck with the internship!

Capel
01-22-2005, 03:42 AM
hey, what codec did you use to compress your reel? it looks great.

johweedee
01-23-2005, 11:33 PM
@ Sean, thanks. yeah, i've got some animation i'm working on now that will look better that i will use to replace a couple of the clips. some of that stuff is a few years old. (all the terrible stuff:) )

@ Capel, i used the 3ivx compression. you can download it for free at http://www.3ivx.com/. the nice thing about it is that you don't need to have the 3ivx codec to play it, just to encode it. so anybody can view it. and it makes the file sooo small.

asimco
10-08-2005, 08:24 PM
After watching the reel and pondlife, i was suprised u didnt add the sound to that short, i thought it had alot more substance with the sound behind it.

Rafael Capucho
10-09-2005, 03:54 AM
ohhh..rox a lot my friend...

Congratulations.

CGTalk Moderation
10-09-2005, 03:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.