PDA

View Full Version : Mountain + water?

Visionjv
12-26-2004, 11:46 PM
Hi

I have been doing tutorials for months now - done a few very basic models using techniques I have learnt on 3dsmax - but I am having difficulty doing stuff of my own - lack of experience I guess... I have been reading stuff in these forums for a long time now, decided to finally try my luck with asking for help =D

I wanted to create a landscape of some mountains - icy style, and then have a water surface intersect this landscape. now - I am pretty new to everything, so based on wat I had learnt I used a displace map I made on a box, and then attempted to use a boolean compound object with a plane on this mountainous terrain. However, the boolean dsnt work since the entire box is displaced so it dsnt actually "cut" the plane other than a thin line.

How could I do this? could someone please link me to terrain tutorials or something of the sort. Also, water tutorials would be nice =D

Thanx in advance,
Jason Vincent

smooth
12-27-2004, 01:34 PM
i dont really know what ur exaclly looking for, but if ur trying to do some mountinous region and a water passing through you can do it by jsut selecting the vertexes in the editable mesh
and using soft selectionand than move or whatever you want
but make sure you give the plane or box or what ever it is more segments..c ya

huskyboss
01-19-2005, 01:47 AM
http://max3d.pl/tutoriale/kurs5/landscape.html it's polish tutorial but is very easy. http://max3d.pl/tutoriale/kurs17/indexpl.html this is water tutorial is very easy too

CyberSorcerer
01-19-2005, 04:44 AM
I am not sure totally on what your looking for, but I would suggest get Brcye and give it a try. It is wonderful at making landscapes, islands, mountains and such.

CyberSorcerer

Terkonn
01-22-2005, 03:39 AM
after using displacment map, collapse to an editable poly, your boolean object should work fine after that

CGTalk Moderation
01-22-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.