PDA

View Full Version : Creating a selection based on components between a face and a vertex.

Iconoklast
12-26-2004, 07:58 PM
This may be a difficult question to ask, but.. well. Let me provide you an example.

Let's say I have modelled a hand with 4 fingers and a thumb. What I want to do is, I want to select the last face on the index finger (or whatever face is at the tip of the finger) and then select a vertex somewhere down the index finger. Let's say at the at the first joint of the index finger. Is there anyway to make a script that will select all faces from my first face selection, to the vertex I selected. Basically have it run across the finger and stopping at the vertex (mathematically, I assume it would have to be based on connected edges?).

You may be asking why I want to know this, but it's really just for a softMod script I'm trying to write. With Maya 6's soft modification tool is that, you can have Selection Masking, which means the soft mod only works on your selected components. Or you can have it off, and it will affect anything within the radius of the falloff.
Using the hand as an example. With the Selection Masking off then other fingers would be affected by the fall off radius. (since it's a spherical falloff). With Selection Masking on, then only what I selected would be effected, which works fine. But I'm basically wondering if it's possible with mel, to create a selection based on two different components and it's connecting edges. Or some secret command in the softMod command that will allow me to do this.

Any idea?

Nicool
12-26-2004, 10:12 PM
Have you tried this solution ? Select a face, then grow selection. I believe this option exists in edit poly menu. Anyway, you can grow or reduce selection component with that shortcut : Shift + > or < (Shift pressed switch from < to >) this keyboard button is next to Shift

Please reply if find it ;)

Iconoklast
12-26-2004, 10:37 PM
yeah, that works, but I was hoping there was a mel method to do this.

Nicool
12-26-2004, 10:50 PM
Why prefering a mel since those shortcuts give a better workflow?
If you really want a melScript to do it, base your code on polyListComponentConversion or polySelectConstraint -pp functions. Really easy.

Iconoklast
12-27-2004, 12:35 AM
It's not so much a workflow preference. I'm curious about this for a tool script I'm trying to write. When I've completed the tools (not so much new tools, just modifications to existing tools.) I'll post it here.
I've looked into the polySelectConstraint and the polyListComponentConversion, and they don't seem to qualify for the basic need. Basically, have you ever used wings3d? Where you have a component select, and apply a magnet to say rotate. This then asks you to pick a point. Once picking a point the magnet then works between the original component that was selected and then a soft selection of all components that are between the vertex you chose as a reference point and your original selection. Because of the functionality of the softMod command, the only way to go about the wings 3d magnet in maya is to select all the components you want to work with first and then apply the soft mod.
Sure, you don't need to select your components for the softmod radius to work. But if you don't have Selection Masking on, then any component, even ones you don't want affected, but are in the fall off radius, get affected anyway.
I'm really bad with explanations, but I hope you get the idea.

Nicool
12-27-2004, 12:54 AM
Yeah, I've tried Wings (very cool). I don't know your MelScripting skills, but the functions I've given you, from what I've understand, are useful. Otherwhise, you could check all softmod mel sources to find out some functions taht are not documented.

From what I've understood of your last message. You could press Inser to change the modification pivot of your current component selection.

Have you tried to use the soft modification tool in a isolated view of some selected components? Maybe the softmod will be applied to only selected components... Anyway, since the softmod is applied in its radius area only, why wanting it to be applied on a particular component selection.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.