PDA

View Full Version : PA Challenge - Character / Vehicle - Shaun Lupton

SEL
02-08-2002, 12:35 PM
Hey all, well I have been an onlooker for the last challenge, and was excited to see so many great artists in the 3d realm come together. This time I decided to through up some work even though time is a killer with school and all, so here it is, please understand that im new to cg channel as well as new to the whole 3d animation thing, only been doing it for a year now, so dont be to harsh on me.

My story: This is a character I developed and did a quick color on Photoshop. Basically after the so called Apocolypse, power was the only thing left to control and survive. During this period, cloning had taken a foothold in the way people lived and the way they died. The character I did is the fat man which is the brains of the machine, to live his life to program that machine and that is all, to take commands from a higher order. The vehicle is the half clone half machine which is controlled by the forsaken human, the clones were created 10 times bigger then normal humans yet could not function without a brain for that is the purpose of the control system in the stomach. These clones were genetically altertered and made to end humanity. A new superior race would then control, one not of man........ Well, thats the concept that was running through my mind and this was what I came out with, hope you like, needs lots more work, I hope to finish in time.

http://home.jps.net/~dliving/images/everything1.jpg

http://home.jps.net/~dliving/images/apoc3d.jpg

SEL
02-09-2002, 01:10 PM
well hey, this is my second post of the character I am creating for the challenge, no replies, but not discouraged, Ill keep on working till this thing is done. If you have questions, ask! if you have comments say, this is to help me and help you out too, as far as im moving within the next couple days so my DSL will be down for about a week, I wil try to post my work from another computer so you can still see my progress............

http://home.jps.net/~dliving/images/done1.jpg

cerreto
02-09-2002, 01:13 PM
looking good has a little xdugef feel to it ;)

Martin-K-
02-09-2002, 01:15 PM
im with trav. deinitely xudef!!!

RoRo
02-09-2002, 01:23 PM
beautiful :eek: I like the style

Martin-K-
02-09-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by RoRo
beautiful :eek: I like the style

wrong!! . its XDUGEF!!
sheesh, some people just dont get it. :rolleyes:

lildragon
02-09-2002, 02:00 PM
Most definitely a xudef approach if I ever seen one... nice http://66.70.72.50/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

SEL
02-09-2002, 02:19 PM
Who is XUDEF?? if that is spelled right... Have no clue who or what you all are talking about yet you seem to all know, maybe if you refer me to a site or something to let me see this guys work, Thanks for the posts though,ill keep working on it this weekend, btw, im moving in the morning, always a fun thing! :( , so DSL will be GONe, sniff, ill keeping posting through school though....

cerreto
02-09-2002, 02:33 PM
looks like you got some nice sketches on your site but i cant really see them that well is there a way to get them to enlarge >

SEL
02-09-2002, 02:40 PM
As far as my site is concerned, ive been putting in a lot of time updating it and have not yet been able to add links to the bigger pictures for I would need to make a tone more HTML pages, but I will soon though. As far as my work on the site, most of it is school projects, ideas,and sketches, my own portfolio though is much more in depth. I plan to put all those up when I get my own domain name, but for now please be patient and give me some time... Thanks for the comments though.. PS - I know you will like my sculptures most of all, just give me some time to get things organized and up and ready, this move is a killer!

SEL
02-10-2002, 04:00 AM
This is all I had time doing today, the move is evident now, ill keep updating. My only question is im wondering how the hell im going to fit a small fat man in that little belly of his, we'll see how it goes..............

http://home.jps.net/~dliving/images/apocscreen1.jpg

http://home.jps.net/~dliving/images/apocscreen2.jpg

im open to any comments or suggestions.....

SEL
02-12-2002, 08:27 PM
Im starting on the fat man character whoch is going in the belly, I did a ray diffuse render, and did a couple highlights in photoshop to get a better idea of texture down the road......... Open toany comments or suggestions, im currently working on the robots / clones legs and wiring, as well as this guys chunky body/.......

http://home.jps.net/~dliving/images/deadhead.jpg

P.S. the holes where the top and bottom lips come out are like that for hooks will be pulling the skin back..... im not sadistic or crazy, just thought it would fit the approach im going at.... what do you think?

HottDragon
02-14-2002, 02:23 AM
This is a Badass model. :D Keep it up. I can't wait to see the final results.

Galo
02-14-2002, 06:46 PM
whos xduede or something?

hey how did you made those veins man....there awsome.....

-Galo

Poju
02-17-2002, 08:35 AM
That little fellow send shiwers down my spine, so it must be gooood!

l_farley13_l
02-17-2002, 09:58 AM
Nice concept and it looks to be comming out quite well! Only crit would be overall a bit looser and rounder musculatour (sp?) Kinda reminds me of TMNT's Crang (that brain) in hiis moving body thing :D

Only thing I could find on Xudef was an odd odd odd odd odd
website: http://runarecords.eresmas.com/discografica/autores/xudefklas/xudefklas.htm
(just get a load of that soundbyte :D)
Nothing on spiraloid, nothing here, nothing on Sijun, martin's site is down, well i could go on. . .
So a link or explaination would be helpful ;)

Thanks ,
Farley13

SEL
02-17-2002, 10:57 AM
hey guys and girls if they exist in the 3d world. This is a latest update on the belly area of the machine. Its been hard for me to update for my dsl is down until the 20th, and I have a blendshape assignment due here for our midterm, easy I know, but I always put time in my work. I do though promise to finish this model and have a surpirse for you at the end of the challenge that you all will enjoy, wait and see. My big problem that I am having with the whole concept of the two models intertwined to one is the cavity in the belly of the big clone guy. It seems like he is pregnant when I put a type of protective covering keeping the fat guy in the belly cavity. Im trying to work around it and maybe have a type of cage in the bottom half of it. and another overlapping in the top, I truelly need help on what to do there, so ill leave it until last and start working on the gun, legs, and claw for the other arm. Im hoping to have enough time to texture, but if not I will give you a color test of what it should look like at the end. I will update again here very soon, any feedback helps, by the way thanks for the replies and suggestions...... I will anser any of your questions on my next post!

here is the latest update......

http://home.jps.net/~dliving/images/fatwork.jpg

SEL
02-18-2002, 09:32 AM
As far as the veins, they were created the same way you create wrinkles, you can either use an extrude to push or pull faces or you can use the splitt polygon tool in maya, and then pull them out. Be for warned that the veins I have created are in parts of the body where minimal stretching occurs, and not too much detail added for it can be a problem when texturing. As far as the Xudef link you tried to give me to explain it a little better, I have no clue what language it is in, so im still without an idea of what it is, but thanks. The project is slowly coming together. More updates are coming very soon!

HottDragon
02-20-2002, 02:29 AM
Hey dude! ur stuff is jus gettin better and better.
Keep up your good work! CooL! :cool:

Tennis
02-20-2002, 06:03 AM
that's pretty scary dude :)
i really like the little guy in the belly, cool design.
keep it up.

Koma
02-20-2002, 08:00 AM
maybe your a freak !! no really pretty cool keep it up

SEL
02-21-2002, 01:33 PM
too tired, latest update, no teselation or anything, just straight ray diffuse..

http://the3d.ws/artists/silvernights/clonehead.jpg
\
\comments welcome

SEL
02-23-2002, 03:29 AM
This is the latest update of everything so far, there are no textures or lighting scene yet, but they will be there by the end of the challenge. Now, let me speak on behafe of myself to the cgchannel community. for whoever reads this thread...... When I first entered this challenge, I entered it because I watched the last one and saw many great CG artists come together and worked to help eachother out, as well as have fun in the process. They may have not noticed this but it has brought many new people to sign onto CG channel as well as many of my fellow students to join, learn, and get better. I have been going around reading others comments and seeing everyones progress and work and learned a lot myself and helped people as well, the only thing that I find a downfall of this whole challenge is people treating it like a contest. Many new entries I have seen are really amazing, but they missed the point of what the idea was about, and why so many have joined. I cant see how I can learn from someone who uses an old model that really kicks ass and then throws on a texture and some goggles and gets all this noteriety. First off, it discourages many of the begining modelers, and secondly, those people are then recognized and treated like gods in this community, and then I and many others learned nothing, then on the next challenge everyone does the same to try to take the spotlight, and instead of learning we have a war. I look at all these page views at some of the people that are here regually and are known throughout the community, and then I see John Doe over there with none. I write all this for the comments on my page as well. I do appreciate all the positive feedbacks but am not looking for the golden pedestal but looking for things to improve my work as well as others. A comment on this thread stating im a freak for the concept I created, well if a freak means originality and the only one with that concept and idea, then I guess I am one. With my work I always do what others may not think of, in this case this is what I came up with, and if you read the stroy in the very first page you would understand the model in greater detail to how it fits the challenge.. My overal purpose of me writing this though is not to shun anybody but to try to higher the level of standards as to where these challenges are going. I would not have entered this thing if I did not feel like this community and the people were bad. I like everything that has risen from cg channel and the moderators, and work etc. and look forward to showing more of my work in the future and am glad to be a part of this scene, I just hope that some of the things I said made any sense in the way we look at this challenge and future ones to come..........................

http://home.jps.net/~dliving/images/clonebrainupdate23.jpg

BgDM
02-23-2002, 04:08 AM
Absolutley incredible. Thats all I have to say!

BgDM

SEL
02-26-2002, 01:51 PM
Hey BGDM thanks for the reply, check back shortly for im currently working on the claw appentage for his left arm and finishing up the wiring. I will texture next week, and do the background the week after before the deadline, come back soon for updates.....

Bluemilk
02-27-2002, 08:46 PM
"I just hope that some of the things I said made any sense in the way we look at this challenge and future ones to come.......................... "

Here here, i totally i agree with you, and i try to only post when i have something constructive to say, which is hardly ever as im usually in ore of the work,- nut just had to agree with you.

Love your model, IF i were you you i would be tempted to have one creature controlling his body and another one inside his head acting as his brain, but prhaps he has that already! but we cant see it, anyway its supercool.

SEL
03-02-2002, 08:47 AM
Hey all, well this is my latest update, im just messin around with different render settings and colors for skin etc. The claw for the left arm is almost done and will be posted tommarrow. I have 2 big surprises with this guy which will be posted at the end of the challenge, ill do it 2 days before incase you have any questions etc. for me to answer.

http://home.jps.net/~dliving/images/greencloneupdate.jpg

BLUEMILK: Hey bro, thanks for actually taking the time to reading what I had to say above, I hope there are more people out there that feel the same way.... Anyhow, incase you missed the story to this guy, go to the front thread and read the first post, it will explain the character better, btw, I like where your taking your model, keep up the good work.....

more to come very soon...............

_Icarus
03-02-2002, 11:48 AM
Damn, great design! I love seeing something different around here. By the way I agree with what you sayd regarding the challenge and the community here, hope to see you around :)

SEL
03-03-2002, 08:25 AM
hey icarus, thanks for the comments, at least you and a couple others understand, it would just be great if the whole community would, in my eyes, I see lots of potential here, im just curious as to how CG channel works it into there favor, and what they do the next time around, there is a lot of talent here, we can all see that, im curious as to where this challenge thing will escallate months down the road, I feel it should always get better, rather then the same thing over and over, maybe a page of ideas as to where to take these things, we'll see what comes from all this, exciting aint it. Learning is the most important part, Remember this saying, the greatest invention is the invention of language, its the reason we are able to think for ourselves in our mind, the reason to communicate with others, and the reason why we learn.... Knowledge is power, the more you know, the more you are sout after by everyone else..............

azazel
03-03-2002, 12:49 PM
Maybe it's only mine opinion, but your character seems to be a bit unstable, I mean his weight center is not above his feet, but moved to front. Anyway, like it :)

thewheels
03-03-2002, 01:02 PM
I have a bit to say about the concept. Is the big one a robot controlled by the fat guy? Or It's a cyborg? If It's a robot, then do not need to have muscles or googles or nose mask, because who see and breath is the fat guy. He can see everything through the glass on the control unit, isn't?

SEL
03-03-2002, 08:29 PM
hey, well thankks for taking the time for checking out the work.. Well as far as the character, basically it is explained in full on the first post I did, here is the story behind the whole thing again:

My story: Basically after the so called Apocolypse, power was the only thing left to control and survive. During this period, cloning had taken a foothold in the way people lived and the way they died. The character I did is the fat man which is the brains of the machine, to live his life to program that machine and that is all, to take commands from a higher order. The vehicle is the half clone half machine which is controlled by the forsaken human, the clones were created 10 times bigger then normal humans yet could not function without a brain for that is the purpose of the control system in the stomach. These clones were genetically altertered and made to end humanity. A new superior race would then control, one not of man........

(The fat guys brain is basically the control system of the giant clone, I have it connected through wiring in the back of his head to the clone, ill post more pics incase you didnt see it. As far as the masks and all, they are there to hold the good air in, the 2 holes in the front of the body are the air intake systems that get filled with pure oxygen for both to stay alive. Same way jets get fueled in the air. I am working on a back harness still and many other things so keep posted. I guess its good to post this every now and then so people dont get confused about the character....

AZAZEL: the answer to your questions about the weight distribution, I currently am working on a bunch of stuff on his back which will balance out the front a lot more, also take into consideration that he is still in bind pose, once everything is complete, I will position so his posture looks natural.. Thanks for seeing that though....

YemYam
03-04-2002, 11:59 AM
Hey Shaun, been watching your guy and he is coming along very nicely. I like the concept and think he will be very cool once finished and textured. I also scoped out your site which is well done with some cool stuff on it.

As far as your previous comments about the challenge I agree with you on some of your points but disagree slightly on a few. I had a little head start on my character but was totally honest about it in my very first post (and multiple others) and that's why I'm building the spida bots, the lab, etc. so when I'm finished with the challenge the head start will only be a small percentage of the final project. I've logged insane hours on this challenge so I can't see how anyone would have a problem with this, although I am fully prepared to accept it if they do.

I really wouldn't sweat other people that may have repurposed parts of their work (either honestly or dishonestly). I think it is up to the judges to decide if that is taking place and factor that into their judging. I'm sure there are ways they could police this tighter but this is supposed to be a fun challenge (albiet a fierce one) and honestly representing your work and your skills. This also applies to how well your stuff fits the theme or guidelines ... that stuff shouldn't be worried about in the threads, it should just factor into the decision making process of the judges.

I've had a couple of people send me private messages asking me why no one has responded to their stuff and I tell them that most people just browse the threads and only post if something really jumps out at them. This leaves some people without many posts even if their work is very good. Are some people only posting rah rah comments or playing favorites? Maybe, but that's their right and I think the mods have done a good job trying to counter this with the preview pages. This is a challenge not a normal 3d feedback forum so I don't really have a problem with the way the posts are going (it motivates me to make my next post better if I don't get feedback or comments).

Lastly, it is a community so it is always going to evolve and change so the best thing you can do is conduct yourself the way you think is right and you will influence other people by your actions. Everyone that I've posted a question to has responded and I've responded to every question I've been asked.

Anyway, good stuff, just my two cents worth. P.S. As far as someone saying you're a freak ... I got a similar post - that's a compliment! :D

SEL
03-04-2002, 03:20 PM
HEy bud,

thanks for the reply, I totally agree with you as far as what you said, maybe I worded what I said earlier incorrectly, basically I was just making a statement to better the challenges. Im sure there are a lot of opinions out there as far as what these challenges are about and im open to them all, I was just writing my personal opinion on the situation wether good or bad, my whole purpose for joining this challenge is to learn and improve my skill if you know what I mean, nothing against using old models, it would just be nice if those people doing it would show wire frames or write a short decription on approaches etc. on how they did it. As far as this being a challenge, I agree everyone is here to make a stand and get there name out, you for one I have been very impressed with for I too have been watching yours progress from start to finish and all I have to say about that is DAMN! great job, I can see you have been putting in the time.... As far as I know, there really isnt any prizes for this thing, so until they rename this challenge to CONTEST I will treat it as learning only and help to others. I appreciate you writing this, I dont know about you, but I know there are a lot of people anxious as to the final results, in a way it kinda gives you the butterflies in your stomch for a job well done. Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing more or your work i the future..........

I will post more updates soon btw....

shaun

SEL
03-05-2002, 02:28 PM
Hey all, well this is the concept I have now, I guess I will spoil the surprise early and give it away for I dont know if I will finish, ive been busy with other things latelly, I was planning to do a 3 character front view, of these guys in different poses. with a background, textures, lighting etc.. I still have these to do, and only till Friday to do them:

1. Finish claw for left arm (almost done!) gasp!
2. Finish back and wiring ( no prob!)
3. Get as in depth with texturing as possible in the given time
4. Finish the background I started for the final piece (praying)
5. Sleep, and still have time to pay the Bills :D

Well, I will put the three man pose pic up, but this is just a test, they are still in bind pose and if you look closelly the guy in the belly is missing all his stuff as well as the claws are not there either. The background I am working on will be posted 2 days before for its still incomplete. I will work all tommarrow on this for im off, we'll see how far I can get, texturing is going to take a lot of my time. hrrmmmm.. I also am placing other views of the character so you can see the changes, biggest ones are the new guns on the arms, the back airtanks, belt stitchings on the head, etc. Tell me what you think, and what you would like to see and Ill try to add them here within the next couple days..... Im getting tired now for its 5:30AM where im at, in a way I guess that makes me a morning person ;) . Anyhow, hope you dig the updates, more to come soon, comments and suggestions are always welcome!!!

http://home.jps.net/~dliving/images/apoc3.jpg

SEL
03-07-2002, 09:51 AM
just a reminder, it looks like I most likelly wont be able to finish everything in 2 days, but I will post what I have and let you all critique it, I was reading the next challenge summary and it seems as if everyone has something to say meaning this next challenge sounds like it will be bigger then this one, we'll see, I know that there are other people from my college who will be joining, I will join only if the theme is good, we'll see how the mods come up with a concept with all that feedback :P , anyhow, expect from me a poster with the characters background etc. one that is, 2d 3d, as well as different shots of my character in different poses, most likelly textured, well see how much detail I can do in this time. any comments on what I have so far is greatly appreciative..

shaun

SEL
03-09-2002, 09:52 AM
Sorry was not able to rig etc. but this is a modeling challenge so here is the final renders

http://home.jps.net/~dliving/images/shaun_final_PA.jpg

SEL
03-09-2002, 11:56 AM
here are the images so you can see detail, hard to see the guy in the belly though............. you can see him if you go under the post section 2 under this thread............

Things to keep an eye on:

1. Belt stichings on back of giant clone head
2. Guy in the Cavity (belly) of the giant clone
3. Everything modeled was completed
(sorry no textures or background, for I ran out of time, but this is a modeling challenge, so all is well, hope you enjoy!)

The story of the characters again:

My story: Basically after the so called Apocolypse, power was the only thing left to control and survive. During this period, cloning had taken a foothold in the way people lived and the way they died. The character I did is the fat man which is the brains of the machine, to live his life to program that machine and that is all, to take commands from a higher order. The vehicle is the half clone half machine which is controlled by the forsaken human, the clones were created 10 times bigger then normal humans yet could not function without a brain for that is the purpose of the control system in the stomach. These clones were genetically altertered and made to end humanity. A new superior race would then control, one not of man........

http://home.jps.net/~dliving/images/greeguy1.jpg

http://home.jps.net/~dliving/images/greeguy23.jpg

http://home.jps.net/~dliving/images/apocback.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.