PDA

View Full Version : Reordering an object's attributes???

seven6ty
12-26-2004, 05:39 AM
Anyone know how to reorder the attributes you add to an object? Like for my foot control, I want to move one attribute that is situated at the bottom, up to the top of the list of attributes. Anyone know how to do this without having to delete all of the attributes ahead of it, and having to remake them along with all of their connections???

seven6ty
12-26-2004, 07:35 AM
Also, another quick couple of questions... Anyone know if it's possible to mirror both joints and their low poly objects that are rigid and smooth bound to the joints, so that these relationships are retained??? So that you don't have to mirror joints, mirror geometry, bind them all together, and then reimport skin weights?

Also, is it possible to transfer attributes and their SDK's from one object to another? Basically I want to take the attributes from my NURBS curve control object and transfer them to a joint, only I don't want to have to go back and reset all of my SDK's that drive some of the controls. Any scripts or anything that someone might know about???

seven6ty
12-26-2004, 09:24 AM
Ah hah, and one last one... Is it possible to have the head of one group, say basically, all the nodes in my skeleton/joint hierarchy, be assigned to one layer (ie: "Joints" layer), and have an element within that group be assigned to another layer???

I ended up parenting the shape nodes of a few NURBS curves to a joint/bone, so that basically selecting the NURBS curve shape node selects the joint, only now I can only turn that NURBS control device on or off by turning the "Joints" layer on or off, instead of having it turn on or off with the "Controls" layer.

And essentially, putting the control on the "Controls" layer, puts like the whole chain of leg joints, onto the "Controls" layer... Any way to work around this???

Kay, last question of the night, I swear.

Arcon
12-26-2004, 09:00 PM
Anyone know how to reorder the attributes you add to an object?
hey dude :) AFAIK there are two ways of doing this, both not very pleasant. one is renaming the top attribute, which will move it to the bottom of the list, you can rename it back if you want the name kept the same. hehe if u think that's bad the other way is even more messy, editing the list in the maya ascii scene file [gulp]. i'm fairly certain someone will have posted a script to highend3d that manages attributes.

off to look at your other questions now ;)

Arcon
12-26-2004, 09:16 PM
Ah hah, and one last one... Is it possible to have the head of one group, say basically, all the nodes in my skeleton/joint hierarchy, be assigned to one layer (ie: "Joints" layer), and have an element within that group be assigned to another layer???

I ended up parenting the shape nodes of a few NURBS curves to a joint/bone

do u mean parenting the joint under the curveShape node... i assume so otherwise it wouldn't work - you can assign layers to multiple objects in a heirarchy but as you've found out the top of the heirarchy's layer setting rules them all.... the layer issue wouldn't be a problem if the joint was constrained to the curve instead of parented... but that probly creates more problems with the joint's orientation etc. but in a broken chain rig you might have extra groups/joints on top of the top joint anyway, which means you might be able to constrain it... i hope that wasn't all useless info lol :)

seven6ty
12-26-2004, 11:53 PM
Yahhhhhh, that's the way I originally had my control set up, so that it was constrained to the joint. But then I read up and got all into the whole shape parenting thing and got set on that, only now I find this problem, doh!

And yeah, I remember finding a script on attributes, not sure exactly what it did, but I'll have to look for it again, grrrrr.

macaroniKazoo
01-04-2005, 04:15 AM
to reorder attributes, grab the attributeMan (http://www.macaronikazoo.com/mel/download/attributeMan.mel) script. it does a heap more than just reorder attributes too. most of the script was written by david walden (http://www.davidwalden.com), but the attribute reordering code was written by myself.

hope it helps!
cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.