PDA

View Full Version : My MachineFlesh Animation: Finally.

-KDX-
12-26-2004, 03:42 AM
Hey everyone, first of all I'd like to point out that the only reason I am posting this in WIP is because I would like to know what others think of it and what they like and what they'd change. This is almost exactly how I pictured it when I drew the first storyboard.

Anyways, to give you some background please look at the MachineFlesh entry thread:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=147090

Now that you understand where this is coming from, go to my site and go to the "Projects" section to download the latest version of the animation. You'll notice it is all rendered out and edited. It wouldn't be a big deal to go in and change simple things like camera moves and small animation curves, but for the most part I would consider this finished (Anything dealing with the chain especially, ugh)

I can't wait to see what others think. I believe I already know alot of the weak and strong points, but I know we got some smart and knowledgeable CGTalkers who can put me in my place. C&C gogo!!

-KDX-

-KDX-
12-28-2004, 02:57 AM
^^

-KDX-

jmBoekestein
12-28-2004, 01:42 PM
I think you did a great job on texturing your creature.

But what I miss is a more dense mesh, especially since you seem to be using a quick shadow generator. The triangles pop out sometimes. In regards to that you made your environment relatively simple by comparison to the main character! That sorta puts him out of place and makes the environment pop out as a wood board behind the star. I think the animation itself is cool though, you just need to rig a lot of secondary effects onto it and it would be fninished I think.
Definitely keep going!:thumbsup:

smooth
12-28-2004, 01:47 PM
well, for me it looks super
you got it right:thumbsup:

-KDX-
12-28-2004, 01:57 PM
Cool some replies. yay!!

smooth thanks! I was scared no one would like it lol, but when my dad (who is not big on sci-fi or animation and is kinda old-fashioned) said he liked it, I was like "yess, score!!" haha..

ok, jmBoekestein I agree on the mesh, I may run a test render to see if doing a polysmooth would help...

Also, by secondary rig effects do you mean like jiggles and smaller movements, muscles etc? I am not so good at that stuff yet but I agree it would help. I tried to do as much of that by hand as I could. Guess I'll have to read up on that.

Oh and the background was purposefully made kind of bland, mainly because it would take forever to render with any kind of grass or foliage...

Thanks alot for your replies!!
-KDX-

paul.yan
12-29-2004, 10:27 AM
KDX - love the character! kind of a dino-spiderman. The low poly count doesn't bother me. Your style is nice and simple and it is consistent for both character and scene. If there's anything to critique on, it would be on the animation. The first thing that bothers me is the walk cycle. Looking at the creature's anatomical design/structure, his walk doesn't particularly fit. He is built like a walrus, but he moves like a burdened bi-ped. I would expect his dominant front legs to pick up by swinging outward (not forward), making his upper body tilt back and forth. He would also use his back (legs?) as a tail by swinging counter to his upper body, further propeling him forward so the work isn't entirely on his front feet. It would be used to balance him as well. Think of it as a tri-ped. Also, pay close attention to where the weight rests within the span of his front leg. It should be all at the bottom (where the metal is) and there should be a lot of stress in the knees, not the shoulders/hips.

I like the idea of the grappling hook feet, but the motion you made in the clip doesn't make sense. Even if it is in a fictional world, gravity needs to be consistent. You introduce weight from his walk, and even when the line is cast/foot is shot out, but the rope/line itself seems to form a perfect arc for him to travel instead of falling to the ground itself. If the creature shot the foot to a mountain ledge above and climbed up, it would work - but if it shot it straight out, the creature would just be dragged. This is not a critique on the execution of the animation, but on the design of the animation.

And those are my thoughts in a nutshell - its great stuff, hope to see more from ya!

-KDX-
12-29-2004, 01:26 PM
cool, ya I actually though about making him move like a seal or walrus but the whole concept is that this creature evolved those front legs because his back legs were weak and as opposed to walking on all fours like a normal brachiosaur, he crawls like a crippled person/animal would..

ok and I see what you mean about the weights and such and also I had the same quarrel that you did with the arc of the chain, but in all honesty that chain was a killer to animate and have it look even halfway correct. Hmmmmm! I wish I was better at dynamic systems because that was purely motion path and keyframe animation...ugh!

Man, thanks alot for pointing that stuff out! Sadly I think it's too late for me to go back on this one (got 2 new projects to focus on) but those are all things I'll take into heavier consideration for all my future animations.

oh one last thing: you mentioned that "there should be a lot of stress in the knees, not the shoulders/hips." Any pointers on how to illustrate that more closely? I don't know exactly what you mean...maybe you could explain how you would illustrate that stress?

Thanks!!
-KDX-

FireEyeC
12-30-2004, 04:16 AM
haha cool character, dont you hate it when you miss deadlines :scream:

-KDX-
12-30-2004, 01:13 PM
ya I got raped by that deadline, lol...

but here I am like 8 months later with an ANIMATION and not just a still...I had to see it through.. Just wish I had all the free time I wanted to work on this and other projects...ugh!!

-KDX-

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.