PDA

View Full Version : Free for anyone who wants it

Steve Warner
09-03-2002, 05:33 PM
Sometimes the most common effects are the most perplexing and difficult to achieve. I've posted here before about morphing a plane to a sphere to create the effect of a map turning into a globe. There just didn't seem to be an easy way to do it. The Wrap_Sphere plugin was not condusive for use in morph targets. And as it turns out, Boris FX and After FX don't like long, rectangualar shapes for their Sphereize effects.

I ended up getting this to work by manually rotating each of the polys from a sphere until it was flat. Not the most elegant solution, but it worked.

Since I wasn't able to find this effect anywhere else on the net, I decided to make my files available. This isn't the type of thing you'll use that often, but should you need it, it will save you a few hours of your time.

www.trinitymediainc.com/Downloads/Map2Globe.zip

Enjoy,

Steve

proton
09-03-2002, 05:37 PM
What a Guy! Thanx for the support! :buttrock:

Ayreon
09-03-2002, 06:16 PM
Thanks alot! It's very nice that you share this with the rest of the community!

Ayreon

Eugeny
09-03-2002, 07:06 PM
Weary nice from u Steve! Thanx for sharing :thumbsup:
Then i needed to do this effect i was made it in Cinema 4D with splines and NURB skin...

Lizard Head
09-03-2002, 09:11 PM
Thank you Mr Warner

Great Problem Solving!!!!

Adios
Lizard*

proton
09-03-2002, 11:16 PM
how about a tutorial that covers the steps to get this.... sorry...I have to ask :)

PNelson
09-03-2002, 11:23 PM
There is always a need for a good globe model!

Thanks for making it available to everyone!

See Ya,
Philip Nelson
NewTek

Cman
09-04-2002, 12:13 AM
thanks thanks thanks!
:)

anim8r2
09-04-2002, 12:39 AM
Not sure I'll use it, but hey "Free Map to Globe thing". Thanks.
:thumbsup:

Steve Warner
09-04-2002, 02:27 AM
Hey guys! You're welcome! Lightwave has more going for it than just a great program. It supports a tremendous community, and has for years. I remember finding resources like LightROM and Club Toaster very helpful early on. It is my pleasure to be able to give back to the group. Wherever possible, I plan on making my models, scenes, and textures freely available for the community. After all, I've benefitted from the time, support, and wisdom of so many before me.

Proton, I'd be happy to put a tutorial together. Like the other Lightwave tutorials I'm working on (the list keeps growing!), it will have to wait until after October 14th, the day my Army project is due.

Take care!

Steve

proton
09-04-2002, 02:31 AM
Very Cool...Looking forward to it:bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.