PDA

View Full Version : iTunes kills XSI?

Aegis Prime
12-25-2004, 09:49 PM
Hi people!

Just had a nightmare 2 weeks trying to track down a nasty XSI problem - it seems (on my WinXP system at least) that XSI is totally nuked by Apple's iTunes - XSI (4.0 & 4.2) will work just fine until iTunes is installed and then it'll quit out just as it starts to load the UI - even uninstalling iTunes or doing a System Restore to roll back prior to it being installed fails to resolve the problem - a complete Windows re-install seems to be the only solution (no joy if I install iTunes first then XSI either). Quicktime works fine with XSI though...

I'm using the Advanced academic edition with the SPM license server and a 1-Wire USB dongle - can anyone else confirm this or is it just me Apple has a vendetta against?? :D

Oh, and Merry Christmas BTW :D :D

Rabid pitbull
12-25-2004, 10:01 PM
I use itunes 4 with xsi 4.2(foundation) everyday. Might be something else going on.

Aegis Prime
12-25-2004, 10:10 PM
Hmm... I'm 100% that it's iTunes causing the problem on my system - interesting that it hasn't caused you any problems. I did a total re-install then added my apps one by one starting with XSI (and testing XSI after each app was installed) 'til Softimage fell over and it was definitely iTunes that knackered XSI... :shrug:

SovereignKnight
12-25-2004, 10:35 PM
I have iTunes installed on my system, although I never use it. It was a forced on me against my will when I downloaded Quicktime, and I never bothered to uninstall it. Anyway it's never affected XSI in any way, shape, or form.

However, listening to Rhapsody, watching a tutorial, rendering a project while trying to refine an HDRI image crashed XSI quite nicely last night. Go figure.

Aegis Prime
12-25-2004, 11:25 PM
SovereignKnight: Are you using a version of XSI that requires the SPM license server (i.e. Essentials/Advanced)? I'm pretty sure it's actually SPM that's getting trashed by iTunes and Foundation doesn't use it...

ThE_JacO
12-25-2004, 11:29 PM
have itunes on this box because my bro uses it for his ipod (I don't live here anymore, only come back here during holidays) and it didn't make xsi wink for a second (advanced with a very old SPM USB dongle from when USB ones were only given to an incredibly small test base).

same at work on my laptop, USB dongle, SPM and iTunes for a flatmate's iPod and not a problem.

I NEVER heard of itunes screwing up with XSI or SPM, and frankly I can't see how that would be possible.

kawallo
12-26-2004, 12:15 AM
I have a similar problem using an internet accelerator for an intalian internet provider. You can download it here: http://clicksrv.libero.it/link.phtml?site=84689 . Even if it doesn't work with your providers, after the installation of this little app., XSI Foundation 4 or 4.2 freeze after the splash screen.
The only way to make XSI work again is the uninstall of the internet accelerator (slipstream) and the windows XP registry cleaning (open the regedit, search for "slipstream" and delete).

Perhaps Aegis Prime could do a registry cleaning searcing for "itunes" and delete...

Aegis Prime
12-26-2004, 12:46 AM
Perhaps Aegis Prime could do a registry cleaning searcing for "itunes" and delete... Thanks for the tip kawallo but I've actually got XSI 4.2 working right now - I've just had to jettison iTunes (and re-install WinXP) to do it - not really a problem 'cause XSI is more useful to me than iTunes but then again it does mean my collection of music bought from Apple is pretty much useless now.

Guess that's what I get for using legit software/music downloads... :rolleyes:

Roger Eberhart
12-26-2004, 07:02 PM
No problem at all here. Running iTunes with XSI 4.2 Essentials. Running the latest version of the SPM license server and the latest version of iTunes.

qba3d
12-27-2004, 01:43 PM
I have Founded 4.2 and I tune all the time without problems..

Q

thud
10-20-2005, 03:02 PM
I had to kill iTunes and QT both to get XSI rolling again. Pain the neck. Still digging around for an all-clear on the boards, or a patch to try it again. Until then, I'm relagated to realPlayer and winamp. shame really.

/thud

Felipe
10-20-2005, 03:11 PM
There are some threads here and on XSIbase about this.
I had the same problem on my notebook (with windows XP SP2) after installing Itunes 5/ QT7. XSI4.2 hangs on startup everytime and I had to go back to version 4 and QT 6.5.2 which causes no problems for me.
On my desktop I have both Itunes 5/ QT7 and XSI running without any problems so far, but I have windows 2000 on it. My guess is something related with XP SP2 and QT7.

I havenīt tried itunes 6 yet though. If you try it, let me know if it works.

Cheers,

Felipe

luceric
10-20-2005, 05:09 PM
iTune is constantly running on my computer, and I'm a developper on XSI!

Perhaps the problem isn't iTune and XSI, but rather a conflict betweeen Quicktime and the OpenGL driver, which has occured in the past. Quicktime has some nasty interaction with graphics drivers. Make sure you're running a certified version of the driver, or if you're not on certified hardware at least the very latest version of the graphics driver.

Gene Williams
10-21-2005, 12:11 AM
I would second the guess that Quicktime 7 is the culprit. I use Avid Express Pro HD and it relies heavily upon quicktime, however quicktime 7 throws a monkey wrench in the works. Not aware of any way to install Itunes 6 without the newer quicktime either.

Gene

ChristianFischer
10-29-2005, 09:34 AM
is there maybe a way to use the quicktime 7 codec with quicktime 6.52 because xsi also shuts down on my pc when having qt 7 installed.

or is there maybe another player that plays qt 7 movies?
i've heard of "media player classic" but it unfortunately doesn't play quicktime 7 movies ..

K. Scott Gant
10-29-2005, 12:31 PM
Hate to throw a monkey wrench into everyones "I'm sure it's quicktime 7 and iTunes" theory but I'm running XSI 5.0 with the latest quicktime and iTunes (just downloaded it last week) and everything is running fine. Playing music in the background and working on XSI runs smooth. No problems.

From what I see here so far in this thread, it may be a problem mainly with 4.2 of XSI that is somehow fixed in 5.0?

ChristianFischer
10-29-2005, 01:03 PM
i'm using xsi 5.0 essentials 32bit on winxp pro and after installing qt7 xsi doesn't run anymore ... after uninstalling qt7, xsi runs again .. so at least on my computer it definately has something to do with qt7 :p

bravmm
10-29-2005, 02:37 PM
media player classic in an open source player in the spirit of ms media player 6. It will use any codec installed on your system to play the video/audio. Even QT7 afaik.
QT7 is playing havok on a lot of pc's.... if you don't need it, don't install it, at least not on your XSI pc ;)

tuna
10-29-2005, 03:56 PM
media player classic in an open source player in the spirit of ms media player 6. It will use any codec installed on your system to play the video/audio. Even QT7 afaik.
QT7 is playing havok on a lot of pc's.... if you don't need it, don't install it, at least not on your XSI pc ;)

Media Player Classic wont play QT files, but it can if you install the "quicktime alternative" codec. Also there is a "real alternative" that will play real media files.

QT7 and iTunes work fine with XSI over here. If you don't need the newest version's features, definately dont install it. It's pretty shit.

ChristianFischer
10-29-2005, 03:58 PM
@ bravmm .. so is there a way of intalling the qt7 codec without having to install qt7?
sorry, but i've got no clue of things like that :blush:

@ tuna ... do you mean this installer (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm) ?

K. Scott Gant
10-29-2005, 04:28 PM
Not to start something, but what video card is everyone using that are having problems with XSI and QT7.

No problems here with both using a nVidia 7800GT. Also using QT7 Pro if that makes any difference.

Not sure this will go anywhere but it may be something to explore and help track down this problem/bug.

Good luck to everyone!

ChristianFischer
10-29-2005, 04:32 PM
i've got a quadro fx 1300 ..

Mechis
10-29-2005, 08:01 PM
I've held off updating to QT7 because I want to keep QT6 pro.

Is it possible to install quicktime alternative and keep QT6?

I tried installing quicktime alternative, and the installer told me to uninstall Quicktime before installing quicktime alternative. Is there a way to have quicktime 6 pro AND quicktime alternative installed at the same time?

Thanks,
Mechis

bravmm
10-30-2005, 01:40 PM
nope... you can't have both ways.. in QT or real media..

barbapapa
11-11-2005, 03:40 AM
I had the same problem so i had to kill Q7. Now im using Video Lan It reproduces nearly everything you throw at it. Including quicktime 7 movies. Untill now i have used with out any problems and i keep using Q6.5 aswell,So no uninstalling due to quick time alternative.Check it out i highly recomend it
http://www.videolan.org/

Felipe
11-11-2005, 01:02 PM
There is a new version of QT...now is 7.0.3
Has anyone, whom has the problem before, tested this new version ?

Cheers,

Felipe

CGTalk Moderation
11-11-2005, 01:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.