PDA

View Full Version : Gradient map in AE

sepehr
12-24-2004, 07:22 PM
Hi,
Just wanted to know if there is any effect in AE which is similar to Photoshop Adjustment>gradient map?
If there isn't then I have to work seperatly on each layer in photoshop...
Thank you for your help in advance.
it can save lots of time...

roguenroll
12-26-2004, 04:54 AM
how about make an adjustment layer, and apply a ramp effect on it.

if I understand what you mean :)

sepehr
12-27-2004, 06:04 PM
Adjustment layer with Ramp effect didn't work, It only produced a simple Ramp and didn't change image "based on" ramp.
I tried to import a PSD file with Gradient adjustment layer but again it didn't work.
Personally I never could have a proper import of PSD in AE & beleive that AE actaully can't handle PSD...
Adobe can't make AE import PSD properly!!?

roguenroll
12-27-2004, 07:32 PM
should be able to set the layer under the ramp adjust to one of the luma matta
track matte options.

depends what your trying to do.

yeah I tried the PSD import, not getting it to work either.

roguenroll
12-27-2004, 07:52 PM
I didnt get >layer>new adjustment layer>gradient map, to work, but
I did import a file, with a gradient layer by:

Clicking icon at bottom of Layers pallet (create new fill or adjustment)
gradient fill

who knows

Scott_Spengler
12-28-2004, 07:47 PM
Guys,

The best way generate a ramp in AE is to simply create a new layer (not adjustment layer) that is the same size as your comp, then apply the Render>Ramp effect. You could also apply the Ramp effect to any impprted footage.

To get AE to _use_ your new ramp layer to drive another layer's effect, such as Distort or Gradient Blur, you'll need to PreCompose the ramp layer. Select the ramp layer and then hit cntrl+shift+C or Layers>PreCompose.

As far as AE importing PSDs, it works very well. All you need to do is tell AE you're importing your PSDs as either layered PSDs or footage right there in the Imort Footage dialog box. Selecting "Footage" means AE will not respect the layers from PShop and it will flatten on import. Your original PSD will still have layers, AE will just _use_ the PSD as if it were flattened. "Composition" means it will respect the PSD layers.

AE does not import adjustment layers or layer styles from PShop at this time. If you're using them in your PShop projects, you'll need to rasterize them to their own layers in PShop, then import into AE as a Composition. All this info is also in AE's online help (F1).

Good luck.
Scott_Spengler

davpunk
12-30-2004, 06:16 AM
The ramp effect doesnt remap the colors of the image- I think this is what hes looking for. If youre looking for something similar to what photoshop does, you need a plugin. A great set of plugins is www.walkereffects.com it has some great color tools. Check into em.

sepehr
12-30-2004, 08:01 AM
Thanks davpunk
Nice plug-ins they are.
gonna try some of them...

Scott_Spengler
01-02-2005, 05:47 PM
D'oh! I'm just so much more familiar with AE's effects than PS's.

As far as remapping colors in AE, Colorama is super-powerful. The default is a hideous RGB acid trip, but with a little futzing you can get some wonderful color control. Be sure to try the supplied presets in the output Cycle preset palletes and try animating the input phase. It's a pretty deep effect and maybe a little intimidating at first, but definately worth investing a little time in learning. Slick!

Good luck.

Scott_Spengler

Blur1
01-03-2005, 11:39 AM
I concur. I rate Walker Gradient Designer, Colorama and even humble ol' Tint. Since Colorama is included, check it out. But Walker Effects take AE to the next level.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.