PDA

View Full Version : linux should be here too

orion 77
09-03-2002, 03:10 PM
i just posted some comments about linix cos i'm thinking of trying it out.
im a lw user and i dont see why newtek wont convert lw 2 linux.
it seems to be far more stable and useful for 3d than win xp/2k.
what do u guys think?

Chewey
09-03-2002, 03:26 PM
W2K works fine for me. Very stable, never crashes.

No interest in Linux currently since I'm one of those "don't screw with it if it aint broke" type of guys and I'm not running anything like a render farm where it may be an attractive option.

Newtek probably has other priorities for it's limited resources especially given the current industry wide slump.

Eugeny
09-03-2002, 04:23 PM
Newtek make some port of LWSN to Linux - this mean all plugins whet comes with LW also. LW already running on Mac OSX so i think make port to Linux it's peace of cake for Newtek...

As for stability i just month before installed win2k (was working with NT :) )
and i mast to say LW on NT is mach more stable - i was have 1-2 crashes on the week and now 1-2 crashes on a day :annoyed:

Chewey
09-03-2002, 05:07 PM
Mine never crashes. I'm running W2K pro with sp3.
It's great! In comparison NT4 was a pos but infinitely better than W98.

leigh
09-03-2002, 05:49 PM
Actually, I read last month (or maybe the month before) that Newtek are indeed porting Screamernet to Linux.
This is fabulous for us because we run a fair-sized farm, and we have quite a few problems running it on NT (especially when it's the night before a deadline :annoyed: )

However, with regards to workstations, I work on an NT4 workstation, and I can't really complain :)

Eugeny
09-03-2002, 06:18 PM
We use Butterfly Net Render and this program do some test - the result of the test in Mega Flops (floating point per second), so with NT i was have 1600 MFlops and with W2K - 1048 MFlops :annoyed: (i have dual 800 with 1024 Mb NVRAM)
It's mach slower!

orion 77
09-03-2002, 09:40 PM
i cant see no difficulty in porting lw. its a fact that all the big boys are going linux. microsoft is gonna have 2 get busy.
if newtek want to be gaining ground in movies and games they need a linux version. even playstation 2 dev is running on linux u know.
leigh u are right. when the deadline looms can u rely on windows to do the job 100%? they should do it sooner rather than later.:eek:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.