PDA

View Full Version : stained glass

floatingrunner
12-18-2001, 03:22 AM
did a 2D pic here.... but thinking of making it to a 3D stained glass... can anyone help me with this?!

do i just put it on a plain and make it transparent..
or do i have to actually model every single piece there...

and how do you make rays shinign through it.

thx

Grooveholmes
12-18-2001, 01:37 PM
Well you could create a stained glass piece in any number of ways, personally i would model each piece and also create the solder that binds everything together, but you could also map you image to a box or plane and use a grayscale version of you glass image for the transparency map, this way would definately be the least time consuming.

floatingrunner
12-18-2001, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Grooveholmes
Well you could create a stained glass piece in any number of ways, personally i would model each piece and also create the solder that binds everything together, but you could also map you image to a box or plane and use a grayscale version of you glass image for the transparency map, this way would definately be the least time consuming.

what is a solder.

Grooveholmes
12-18-2001, 03:43 PM
Solder is a metal material that holds the pieces of glass together.

floatingrunner
12-18-2001, 10:03 PM
but that's kinda hard.... cuz the lines are complicated...

do i just like cut polygons or something.. will that work?

Fat&ugly
12-19-2001, 01:00 PM
I would use a skin on curve technique, I would also not bother making each peice seperate gmtry. To make it transparent you just need to change the texture opacity. You can use a volume light shader for the rays of sun. gl

floatingrunner
12-19-2001, 09:02 PM
just can't think on top of my head... there are something else that i need to change (Besides from just transparency.)

because just change the transparency will just get a dusty feel with the object looking thin but not glassy (it's not specular, but some other adjustments... DOH)

i use maya btw...(not that it makes a difference)

i'll give it a try. thx

oh, what is skin on curve technique :/

Fat&ugly
12-20-2001, 09:14 AM
Im a soft user so I dont know if Maya has a similar function.

In soft, you create a bspline and a closed curve. The function allows for new geomtry that has a mass of the closed curve and follows the length of the spline.

floatingrunner
12-21-2001, 12:28 PM
sounds like creating your own polygon?!

is that it?

InnerVortex
12-21-2001, 12:33 PM
wel.. i thing a good way to do it is to do the pols.. then extrude each pol , subdivide, smoth... there will be some crazy stuff a6t this time then u can texture it with that all glass effects u whant

element412
01-13-2002, 10:19 PM
heres a wayi think for 3dmax . never tested it but it should work.
3dprogł
1-make the glass the shape of the glass you want.
1.1out a uvw map . on it then make it planar and adjust it parralel to the glass.
2-make it the biggest in ur screen possible then capture the screen.
2dprog
3-copy it in ur 2dprog then choose the area of the gizmo and make it a new image.
4-rezise it the size of the drawing u made (not as big as 2000*2000pixel. if its the size of ur image.)
5-then take the shape (square orsomething...).delete the inside and put the inverse selection pure black..
6-use some photoshop filter on a copy of ur original drawing and try making quasi black and white and the lign should be the size of the metal solder.
5-then put it a layer under the glass shape so you have a good opacity map (you could blur the outside shape a bit so its better.)

with this you have a opacity map for a material . you can make another one with the color inversed for the metal material. aslo make one of the same shape your drawing in color.

then in max make a composite material.
make the normal mat . with the first opacitymap and your color drawing as the diffuse map.
take another material with the secnd opacity map for the metal material.

i guess you could get something pretty good with that.

for the light i guees a volume light with the first opacity map as the map and lots of tweking on the direc light to match the glass.

never tryed it myself hopes it helped u.
element

floatingrunner
01-17-2002, 08:34 PM
ooo.. haven't been here for a while...

thx for the advice..i'll see what i can do.

i kinda tested out the texturing with photoshop. it's looks ok. but not spec. i'll dig out the pic and maybe show you :P

element412
01-25-2002, 12:29 PM
using my technique here's what ive done . i hope that what u wanted.
http://www.homestead.com/chubchicken/files/glasstest.jpg

you can sure work with the volume light density and the lighing to make it morer realistic.
element

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.