PDA

View Full Version : blendshape double transform mystery...

Arcon
12-24-2004, 03:23 AM
made a couple of corrective blendshapes for a character, so far at the shoulders and elbows. the shoulders work great. the elbows have some weird double transform going on when any joint above the elbow is rotated. i've checked def order, its as follows:

parallelBlender
skinCluster
tweak
shoulderBlend
elbowBlend

funnily enough maya won't let me change that deformation order. the problem is only at the elbows.. not the shoulders... no other deformers acting on the skin.... both blends were made at bind pose, and i've even tried deleting the elbow blend and recreating it, same prob.

checked hypergraph and both blends have the same connections in and out, but as for their sets: elbowBlendSet is not connected to the body_ShapeParallel, but shoulderBlendSet is. there aren't extra connection attributes available in body_ShapeParallel to hook up elbowLf... is this the cause of the problem and if so why did it happen...? any quick fix...? cheers :)

Arcon
12-24-2004, 04:10 AM
i've decided to re-create my joint blendshapes anyway with the bSpirit script - which puts maya's blendshape workflow to shame. now i can make the blends from a deformed pose :) i'm guessing my elbow trouble must have been related to using the parallel blender...? however this was recommended in the HR rigging DVD...? any comments on this...?

metalhead419
12-30-2004, 09:12 AM
I have had pretty bad luck when using a parallel blender to include to blendshape nodes. Maya has wierd way of figuring out how to blend inputs together. I would recommend having one blend shape node with all your blend shapes in it set to "front of chain." Thats probably why you can't change the order.
PS. I just started using "bspirit" and it definatly rocks the casba.

-Neil

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.