PDA

View Full Version : Demo Reel V. 1

jasondesigns
12-23-2004, 07:12 PM
Hey everyone this is the first time I've posted my work on CG Talk. Here is my Demo Reel, Version 1... I just graduated AAU, Starting work on some new projects, and looking for work. Anyway give me some crits.

Thanks
Jason

9.32 mb
http://www.jasondesigns.com/smallreel.avi

14.6 mb
http://www.jasondesigns.com/reelcmp.avi

MatthiasBuehlmann
12-24-2004, 02:41 AM
i like the transformation of the car! Do you have a making of that?

jasondesigns
12-24-2004, 05:04 AM
I never have got around to making a shot breakdown...

jasondesigns
12-27-2004, 03:24 AM
C'mon give me some crit's good or bad I can take it. I would just like to know what I can improve... what's working, whats not.

Thanks
Jason

CHRiTTeR
12-30-2004, 05:55 AM
u could add some music ;)
Modeling seems good and cool illustrations :thumbsup:

mgard
12-30-2004, 08:37 AM
seems like your link die....
sorry man...

el_diablo
12-30-2004, 09:32 AM
This still needs more work. You demo reel content is fairly good but your presentation of it is severly lacking. Try to do some more dynamic editing and for god sake put some music under it. Even silent movies had that guy on piano in cinema battering away :).

Try to see some modeling demo reels by hiko - see how nice and dynamic they are.

jasondesigns
12-30-2004, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone... I'll revamp the presentation.

el_diablo
12-30-2004, 06:03 PM
I hope you didnt get discuraged by my post. As I said you have some nice sweets there, you just need better wrapping ;).

Kyle
12-30-2004, 08:26 PM
the work looks good, I like your pieces, but like others said you need to clean it up a bit.

- overall your reel is a bit long. try making it between 2:30 and 3 minutes at the longest.
- don't do zoom outs with the illustrations. Also only show the illustrations for 3-4 sec each. If i want to look at it longer i can always press pause.
- your turntables are also to long. for modeling reels i was always told to do one rotation of the model in grey, one in wireframe and finally one rotation in textured. And if you feel there is some details that must be shown in close up, then do one close up zoom or rotation. Once again, if i want a longer look at it I can always pause your reel.
- I noticed some jumping in your models rotation. It may be because you compressed the file for the internet, but if not try smoothing it out. It is a bit distracting.

Good luck finding a job.

gothicslavechild
12-31-2004, 07:27 AM
I havn't watched the video as Im on very slow dial up and am still downloading but I looked at the stuff on your web site and it's great. The character models are no less than gorgeous. Im suprised anyone could find flaws. Certainly you can find work with character models like that! :thumbsup:
Better than any of my stuff, if you can't do it Im realy in trouble :eek:
As I am also working on my reel I've watched loads of em lately. Your stuff -IS- better than most and deffinately pro-quality. Im sure you'll be fine.
Ill give you a bit more constructive critisizm after I've seen it but in the mean time keep smilin :buttrock:you rock!!

gothicslavechild
12-31-2004, 02:07 PM
I still say your models are great.
I agree with it being to long and the zoom is a bit distracting. A simple 3d rotation would be better.
Also some music would realy help.
like previously posted 1 rotation in wire, 1 rotation without textures and 1 textured would be realy refreshing.
I hope this helps.
Hopefuly you'll post it with some changes.
I cant wait to see it!
:applause: one more round of applause for the character models. They're gorgeous.

gothicslavechild
12-31-2004, 02:18 PM
sorry, I had to post 1 more out of curiosity.
The big tin can treds on the tank are realy cool. Is there a reason for them being like that. Is there a theory behind how they work?

jasondesigns
12-31-2004, 06:34 PM
First, thanks for all of your comments.

The treads are designed that way because they are actually each sets of smaller treads on top of a larger tread. So theoretically the tank could move forward, back and latterally without turning the base. I don't know how practical that is, I just wanted to try and build it.

HenningK
01-01-2005, 12:01 AM
I couldn't get through it without music. Also, this reel should be two minutes tops. Quicken everything, especially the illustration work at the end.
-hen

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.