PDA

View Full Version : newbie question about normal mapping

capone_adam
12-23-2004, 06:55 PM
Hi, I've been reading up on normal mapping and done the tutorial that comes with max. Theres just one thing I remain confused about at this stage...

Texture mapping, in the tutorial the model has already been UV mapped on the LO-RES version of the model. By normal mapping it you are obviously adding more detail but those details won't be on your UV map templates will they?

Oh, also another question. Smoothing groups, should I just bother with the Lo-res version?...not the high-res...right?

polygun
12-28-2004, 01:47 AM
Well, you use smoothing groups to simulate a smooth surface along a low poly cage. Since a high res model with hundreds of thousands of polys is pretty smooth as is, I dont think you would need to add a smoothing group unless you have a specific problem in an area.

capone_adam
12-28-2004, 10:49 AM
That smoothing question was a bit dumb wasn't it, thanks. Still, anyone got any info on the texture problem.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.