PDA

View Full Version : Infinium Labs to demonstrate Phantom in CES Microsoft booth

tevih
12-23-2004, 05:50 PM
About time, or another let down?

---
Dec. 22, 2004

"Infinium Labs ( OTCBB:IFLB (http://marketdata.qtrade.ca/quote.asp?symbol=IFLB) - http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=IFLB.OB ): Infinium Labs will demonstrate its flagship Phantom Game Service(TM), built on Microsoft's Windows XP Embedded technology, in the Microsoft booth No. 7145 in the Central Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center during the Consumer Electronics Show (CES), Thursday to Sunday, Jan. 6 - 9, 2005.Infinium, as one of only a few select partners, will join the Microsoft Mobile and Embedded Devices Division at Digital Experience - a pre-show press event where all the hottest and most-anticipated products for the show will be showcased. Digital Experience will take place at the Bellagio Hotel from 7 to 10 p.m., Wednesday, Jan. 5, 2005, immediately following the keynote address.

"More and more people are enjoying all forms of digital entertainment in the comfort of their homes," said Scott Horn, senior director, Mobile and Embedded Devices Division at Microsoft Corp. "Windows XP Embedded technology provides Infinium with stability, reliability and a custom user interface, while delivering a familiar game experience for customers of the Phantom service."

Windows XP Embedded provides the functionality and performance of the Windows operating system in componentized form to enable device-makers to rapidly build reliable and advanced small-footprint devices. The Phantom Game Service will be delivered over broadband to a Windows XP Embedded-based receiver that sits in the living room.

"Sharing physical space with Microsoft at this industry-leading event reinforces that the two companies also share a common vision that playing video games is coming to the masses as a frontline choice for home entertainment," Kevin Bachus, president and COO, Infinium Labs, said. "By building the Phantom system on the Windows XP Embedded technology, we're giving consumers functionality, while improving their overall user experience and the performance they get out of the Phantom Game Service."

Infinium has announced that nearly two dozen leading game providers have committed to provide content for the Phantom Game Service, including Atari, Codemasters, Eidos, Vivendi Universal and many more. The company has announced it will launch the service in 2005..."

>> Click for full article << (http://marketdata.qtrade.ca/newspaper.asp?Mode=Entertainment&Story=20041223/358u1825.xml&Symbol=)
(scroll down about 1/3rd for the Infiunium Labs news)

opus13
12-23-2004, 06:08 PM
oh dear lord.

why do they even bother anymore? many moons ago they re-re-re-proposed a shipping date for last november, and yet they still havent shipped beta to testers yet. they already announced that they were broke, and millions in the hole.

just give it up already. acting like a jackass one time is acceptable. we all make mistakes... and hell, its half the fun of being in business anyway. reapeatedly looking like jackasses, on a continuing basis, is embarassing for the entire industry.

Hazdaz
12-23-2004, 06:13 PM
Ugh.
What a damn joke!

polygun
12-23-2004, 08:26 PM
Think Phantom will be released with Duke Nukem Forever??

opus13
12-23-2004, 10:47 PM
omg! that would be the best bundle never!

better than the NES with super mario bros and duck hunt!

tevih
12-24-2004, 04:41 AM
Don't knock duck hunt now!! I don't like the tone of your voice!!

yeyeman9
12-26-2004, 03:08 AM
In gaming you never know wether something is good or bad untill you play it. So we should just wait and see, they might have something awesome behind the scenes. ;)

Hazdaz
12-26-2004, 03:21 AM
^^ Yea.. um, I HIGHLY, HIGHLY doubt it.

Games, and espesially gaming consoles don't exist in a vacuum - they need other companies to develop games for them. With the market the way it already is, I don't see this "console" ever getting anywhere - just look at the issues MS had to get the major game developers to start writing games for the XBox - and MS is a billion dollar company with massive resources.

This "console" has no chance in hell of going anywhere - if it even becomes a real product at all.

lwbob
12-26-2004, 03:28 AM
In gaming you never know wether something is good or bad untill you play it. So we should just wait and see, they might have something awesome behind the scenes. ;) You're right, this will be so much better than when they "showed it" last year at CES while it was really the CEO snorting coke in a penthouse with potential investors. They have screwed over evey group they have ever worked with and for some reason they still have brownnosers sticking up for them online.

Hazdaz
12-26-2004, 03:35 AM
Its not the "brown-nosers" online that are the problem... its the dumb ass investors that are still giving them money.... OTHER PEOPLE'S money that the investors should be investing in REAL business opportunities, not these hoaxes.

yeyeman9
12-26-2004, 03:37 AM
The problem is not that the investors are dumb. Because the idea of simply downloading the games instead of going to the store to buy them is hillarious, and it is going to be probably that way in the future. The investors know there is something big behind this, the problem is wether Infinium Labs can finally pull it off (well and not a crappy thing) or not.

lwbob
12-26-2004, 04:17 AM
What is funny is that they are now getting loans to pay off other loans, they haven't paid employees with anything besides shares of stock since September. They are currently sending out fax spams as part of a pump and dump scheme. Rumors of SEC investigations are currently happening as well.

Also keep in mind that buyers of the console will still need to rely on this company for all their game downloads and online licensing for purchased games. Once you buy and download a game you need to connect to their network for license checks. If your internet goes down for even weather related reasons, you can't play your game. That is assuming that they even start on building this network, that is unless they plan on hooking everyone's TV up to a hidden laptop like they did at E3.

-Vormav-
12-26-2004, 04:53 AM
What is this, the fifth time that they've announced that they're going to show it? :rolleyes:

I'll believe it when I see it, should that ever happen.

DevilHacker
12-26-2004, 04:55 AM
Will the Phantom hit it in the big time, and become a competitor to Sony or Microsoft?
NO...
Why?
Because all games are downloaded online, meaning that no retailers will want to sell the system, because they canít make any money from the games, and there is going to so much bad hype surrounding the system no one will want to touch it...

The best thing that I can see happening for this system, is that it gets a small following and it will live on through them... Much like how Nokia's N-Gage has a very loyal following...

yeyeman9
12-26-2004, 05:12 AM
Yeah I don't think it will ever be a competition to Sony or Microsot, not even to Nintendo(which I hope comes up with something kick ass for the next-gen of consoles, because we all loved that company once in our life.). It seems like the Phantom is being developed by a low-wannabe company, if you know what I mean. Not insulting the company at all, but I don't think they actually messured the consequences. Lets just wait and see what happens...be it for good or bad.

tevih
12-26-2004, 10:14 PM
Games, and espesially gaming consoles don't exist in a vacuum - they need other companies to develop games for them. With the market the way it already is, I don't see this "console" ever getting anywhere
That's supposedly the big draw with the Phantom, and why it's being featured in the Microsoft booth - it will have XP Embedded inside the console, and so will be able to play any PC game - that includes XBox...

I'm not gonna say if I think they'll make it or not. Fact is, it sounds great, downoading is the future of game distribution, and the potential is definitely there. I'lm keepin my eyes open.

iwbob - "If your internet goes down for even weather related reasons, you can't play your game."

Not sure about that - games are downloaded to hard drives after the license is acquired according to Infinium's website. And besides - broadband (mine anyway) does not go down as often as it used to, and is only getting better.

lwbob
12-26-2004, 11:12 PM
That's supposedly the big draw with the Phantom, and why it's being featured in the Microsoft booth - it will have XP Embedded inside the console, and so will be able to play any PC game - that includes XBox...
Except that you are wrong. How many xbox games can you play on your PC? Besides the phantom was to have specialized hardware, within a year PC games will require higher level components than a frozen spec console.

Not sure about that - games are downloaded to hard drives after the license is acquired according to Infinium's website. And besides - broadband (mine anyway) does not go down as often as it used to, and is only getting better.
And they have stated many times that if the broadband connection goes down you can't play the game. This was stated by Infinium at last years E3 as well as on their own forums. They have told users that every time you run the game you need to connect to their licensing server. So you are really renting the game since you can't play it when they go out of business and their hardware is repo'ed..... that is if they even try to develop the network instead of just staying with the stock scam that is their only current activity other than being sued by around five different entities..... including a few of their investors.

Hazdaz
12-26-2004, 11:32 PM
Exactly... to play PC games, the "Phantom" would basically have to be a PC... which COMPLETELY defeats the purpose of a closed/non-upgradeable (yet inexpensive) console. You can't have both cuz consoles and PCs are targetted to completely different audiences with completely different marketting strategies. PCs are expensive yet upgradable and target people that are willing to spend literally hundreds of dollars a year in keeping their hardware current - yet with all that speed and high-end technolgy you get all the unknown variables which making programming difficult and instability. Consoles are the opposite - closed system that is the exact same on every unit, which brings about easier programming and usually much higher stability, but there is no way to upgrade the unit.

Also there is no way it would be able to play XB games - no way MS would allow that.

Its just a bad, bad idea all around, and it seems like everyone sees that they are basically a scam and we are just waiting for them to implode. I can't wait to see what happens on Jan 6th.

Anyone wanna bet on what is gonna happen?
No show? Have a PC running the demoes, instead of an actual unit? Postpone it for another 6 months?

rebo
12-27-2004, 01:05 AM
I cant believe people are still sticking up for this joke of a company. The guy who runs it is a con artist who has swindled and lied his way through countless business's. Its one big con to steal money from investors.

halo
12-27-2004, 01:17 AM
erm, can you just wake me up when this thing has done its first quarter sold on the high street....thanks

yeyeman9
12-27-2004, 01:32 AM
I guess you will be sleeping for quite some years.

tevih
12-27-2004, 03:22 AM
I guess you will be sleeping for quite some years.
lol... sounds like a fantasy I can never have.. maybe I can sleep for 6 hours straight? Or will I stay up till 4am again doing "projects"...?

Maybe I was a little confused about the phantom and what it would do, but I was pretty sure. I dunno..

Anyhoo. The horse is dead and beaten. Let's all just wait and see...

opus13
12-27-2004, 06:38 PM
in a previous thread regarding the phantom (now removed by moderators) there wasa post by a phtantom rep that detailed the specs of the 'console' being a basic athlon xp based PC with geforce 4 video card.

the plan was also to offer upgrades to faster processors with more ram as well.

basically.. its a cheap pc with options, and a mandatory service fee.

---maybe a moderator could repost the pertinent information from that thread here?

kex
12-27-2004, 10:07 PM
last i heard it was p4 2.8 ghz plus i even watched a demo video it had a dodgy keyboard an all :P
it showed a flashy gui and a copy of ut2004 being played. but if theve just switched from amd to intel i doubt either company really wants them.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.