PDA

View Full Version : Non-humanoid character modelling

ajw798
12-22-2004, 01:18 PM
Hi,

I'm a relatively new 3dsmax user (who's used to basic architectural modelling) and I have just started messing around with low/high poly character modelling. I have chosen to model the following character from Green Jelly's "Three Pigs" clip:

http://www.transcendenz.co.uk/pig.bmp

For a start I'm not too sure about the proportions. I'd like this to stay fairly caricatured so how many heads high should the character be? I have started drawing the character as suggested in the Paul Steed book and have made a basic 'lightbulb' head using a lathed NURBS point curve but this gives me a very high poly count just for this base head shape (around 2K) which is unacceptable for low-poly models and probably isn't the right way of going about this regardless of poly-count.

Another thing which bothers me is how to make the low-poly model's head not too spikey. I intend to use this model as the focus of a POP:SandsOfTime style third person chase cam and so I'd like the head to be low-poly but not overly spikey if you see what I mean! (and no I don't intend on doing anything clever along the lines of GPU shaders to enhance detail)

Any tips would be most helpful.

Thanks

Tony

pollywoggles
12-23-2004, 08:44 AM
How about a sphere? Make the lowest poly sphere that still retains the cicular shape that you want, then smoothly deform it to the shape into that final lightbulb (i.e. deform with drop-off weighting on nearby verts -- not sure the term in Max, since I only use Maya).

jmBoekestein
12-26-2004, 12:40 AM
It seems to me you could subdivide the most basic sphere and fool around with the settings until you find the right curvature and weights and then collapse/convert to a final density. Do this several times and you'll have the shape you want in no time I htink.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.