PDA

View Full Version : topology help

Fudge
12-22-2004, 02:15 PM
hey all im really stuck, i read torqs tutorial and got amazing resualts very fast, although his proportions where wrong so i take a human from fron and side view then i am completely lost as of where to put the topology like say in torqs tutorial he has 5 verts round the eye (just guessing) does that affect how many verts will be in the loop around the mouth if so is there a way to find out the calculation, so any tips would be great

Thanks Fudge

Fudge
12-22-2004, 09:12 PM
BUMP?

Fudge

Fudge
12-24-2004, 09:39 AM
nobody going to help me :(

Fudge

SegFaultII
12-24-2004, 11:21 AM
dude, use dots and comma! its a pain to read your post. then rethink your question and ask in a more specific way. then add a link to the tutorial, so others can see what you are talking about. nobody can help if nobody understands ;)

good luck.

polygun
12-28-2004, 01:49 AM
wow talk about a hyper post.

Please re-ask, thanks

Polygun

pnoland
12-28-2004, 02:05 AM
Posting tip #1: Preview Post, read post, Preview Post, read post, Submit Reply. :)

That tutorial sounds very unfamiliar, we're going to need a link...also, give a post time somebody will reply to you eventually. There is no need to bump unless a loooooong time goes by.

Fudge
12-28-2004, 10:05 AM
ok, sorry everyone for the rubbish post, i was in a bit of hurry.
The tutorial i mentioned is here: http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21066&highlight=

and my question is, how does he know where to put all the lines, i know its to do with the topology but im really confused, are there any tutorials?

Thanks, Fudge

pnoland
12-28-2004, 10:16 AM
Good topology is something you develope an eye for. It's pretty tough when you're starting out to have good edge flow, it takes practice. Bascially good topology consists of good use of edge loops and flow, you can see in that tutorial how the original set of edges he shows is still visible in the final image/animation. He kept the basic shape of the mesh just creating more and more loops and rings to define the detail of the face. I see from previous posts that you have Ken Brilliant's "Building a Digital Human" that's a great reference since he shows pretty much where every edge loop is inserted keeping your topology clean and clutter free.

StephanD
12-28-2004, 01:41 PM
Having the right topology is only part of the job.

Sculpting it is the whole idea,it doesn't matter how much vertice you put in what spot,as long as it's 'shapeable'(wrd?).

The less polygons you use,the more the process will seem like that every vertice should be at it's own specific place,which isn't true.

i am completely lost as of where to put the topology like say in torqs tutorial he has 5 verts round the eye (just guessing) does that affect how many verts will be in the loop around the mouth

That kinda gets answered by my first sentence but let me add that no,it doesn't affect it,if you don't want it to that is.Use 'poles' wisely and you'll still get an all-quad result,if that's what you're after.

I think overall you should read a bit more info on the subject and make up you're own ideas about Loops and Local Detailing.

Tamas' page comes to mind,read it in it's whole (http://maxrovat.sns.hu/subdiv/)

When you're finished on your way back here,read the topology research thread in it's whole as well.

Finally,like it better your way. :)

Good Luck!

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.