PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial: Digitally Painting a Tree Frog by Richard Harris

lildragon
09-02-2002, 10:59 PM
Hey guys,

Richard Harris give us an insightful tutorial, illustrating the steps he took to create his photorealistic tree frog, take a look

http://www.3dfestival.com/story.php?story_id=85

Have fun,

lild

derelict
09-03-2002, 01:55 AM
The tut makes me feel like i'm reading the blueprint of "how to make a time-machine at home":shrug:

But it looks cool.;)

skunk184
09-03-2002, 02:34 AM
:scream: :scream: @derelict

from this to (taps magic wand) this

frog
09-03-2002, 07:52 AM
Sorry if I did a bad job with the tutorial guys :shrug:

I really tried my best to break it down into the steps that I took and explain each one, but like most things what might seem obvious to me is not necessarily obvious to others.

Believe me I understand your frustration, I've been trying to loosen up my style into something rougher and more painterly and whenever I post work for advice people find it very hard to explain how to achieve the results I want. Most people who are accomplished just say stuff like "look harder" which I understand is great advice but doesn't really help in the short term.

If the tree frog tutorial is vague I guess it's because all I can say about it is that I drew a very tight pencil sketch and then painted it in Photoshop :arteest: I guess the part that people want to know is how to make it so realistic, but the only way to explain that is that you have to look very hard and try and reproduce what you see, there is no other way of explaining that part!! I did explain my technique as thouroughly as I could but if anyone has any further questions feel free to post them and I will happily answer them.

elfufu
09-03-2002, 01:28 PM
it almost feels like theres 4 pages missing between page 1 and 2. at least the images.

lildragon
09-03-2002, 01:58 PM
Give him a bit of slack guys, he did draft it up rather quickly for us to publish ;) I'm sure with more time he could've done it more indepth, but I guess it was his first time writing a tut. That correct frog?

play nice :)

elfufu
09-03-2002, 02:52 PM
im not saying the writing is bad but more PICTURES!!! i dont know how to read anyways

frog
09-03-2002, 03:10 PM
Er, the reason there's so few pictures is that I did the piece for myself a few months ago. I never planned it as a tutorial, and it was only when I posted it for critique that Tito asked me if I could make a tutorial out of it :shrug:

Hence I didn't save the relevant steps!!!

For my next painting I will will save more often and write a more in depth piece if that can help to appease the masses :surprised

dmcgrath
09-03-2002, 07:37 PM
That picture is so great, and your thread for it so popular, I guess people just expected more. It's not your fault, Frog. Of course you explained that there was no way for you to appease the masses this time. It was just a project for you, and you didnt intend it as a tutorial from the beginning. I have used P-shop for several years, so I know the ideas behind alot of your tut explainations. Someone just starting out in a program like that wouldn't understand what steps you took without LOTS of pictures.
The main thing for everyone to realize is you must practice, a lot.
And then, practice some more, and then some more, you get my meaning?

Happy painting
:arteest:

Julez4001
09-04-2002, 12:30 AM
Hey Frog, why don't you just draw a simple picture like an apple or something with no background and try to explaining the detailing that way. Something quick, fast and a hurry and it shouldn't take up to mucj of your time but get the points across as wella s clearer.

wgreenlee1
09-07-2002, 05:08 AM
Damn he is talented,that Tree Frog is awesome!!!

JustinSampson
12-14-2002, 06:27 PM
Hey,
Does anyone know where I can find the original tree frog in a high res version?

Thanks,
Justin S.

Angel D
09-16-2003, 08:18 AM
You definitly could have convinced me at a glance that it was real. I just started using computers for art a week ago, and I haven't touched the damn things in years. I'm picking up adobe quick enough and you've helped alot. Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.