PDA

View Full Version : how do you blur your reflections?

Netvudu
09-02-2002, 09:49 PM
well, I donīt mean your reflctions exactly, but any reflections in Lightwave.

I just made this (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19627) and one of the problems I couldnīt really fix was obtaining blurred reflections.
I tried with the plugin which comes off-the-shelf with LW, but it lookd really bad. It seemed to blurnot just the reflections but the whole object edges. (maybe because I was using both a reflection map and raytraced reflections and it tried to blur both)

Then I tried rendering the reflection buffer separately for fixing that in post from After Effects but the results were equally crappy (again maybe for the same reason I said before) so I ended leaving them in their unblurred state.
now if I come again with the same poblrem in the future what would you recommnd me to do?

oh! and no...Hypersmooth isnīt a valid solution. I would like to know thereīs a way to do that without buying another plugin.

yon dabuda
09-02-2002, 10:16 PM
are you using 7.5?
surface editor -> environmental -> reflection blurring % ?
or you can use micro-bumps for a different solution

dies-irae
09-03-2002, 07:13 AM
hi, you might want to try this one. I find its results way better than with the environmental %. It's free of course and i think it really deserves a try. I think it's slower than env.% though but i never made serious rendertime tests.

http://home.nordnet.fr/~phoneikon/BReflect.htm

otherwise, as yon pointed, small bumps can always do the job (but at what a price in time!!)

Netvudu
09-03-2002, 11:45 AM
thanks both. :bowdown:

The micro bumps solution really grabbed my attention, if only because it seems the solution closer to reality.
Is it based on the subsurface scattering concept? That would make much sense...micro rebounds of the rays on the surface which as a result give us the blurred reflctions result.
I never tried doing that in LW. I will. Have you tried that yourself? How is it done...tiny size fractal bumps?

and thanks also for the plugin link, dies. Thatīs a plug I saw like a year ago and totally forgot about it...I will try it too. It looks very good, though a bit on the slow side.

dies-irae
09-04-2002, 08:20 AM
HI!

micro bumps is what we had to do before the blurred reflection tab appeared. It has nothing to do with subsurface scattering (SSS) :) it's only bump! you put a fractal noise bump of about 1mm on your object and here's your reflection blur...
{SSS is the calculation of light deviations and shadowing INSIDE the objects, but since bump is on the surface, and thus not SUB-surface you can compute it without using sss}

btw: my compliments for the images in the artwork section!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.