PDA

View Full Version : Background refresh

erilaz
12-21-2004, 10:35 PM
I was wondering if was possible to have cgtalk do it's own background refresh when the page is idle? Sort of like how gmail refreshes the inbox every 5 minutes or so.
Personally I want it because if access to the site is idle for more than 5 minutes here at work, it blocks me again (damn marshalling software!) and I have to go through a labourious amount of clicks to get the site back up.

In a community sense however, I just think it would be useful so that if something is updated on the site you can see it intermitttently while you work, rather than having to press F5.

I can already see some of the issues of implementing this (refresh during posting and server load strain), but I thought perhaps there might be a way to do it.

What do you think?

mummey
12-22-2004, 12:52 AM
Hmm... with all the images, that could use up alot of bandwidth. Have you tried working with the RSS feeds to set something up?

erilaz
12-22-2004, 04:22 AM
Hmm... with all the images, that could use up alot of bandwidth. Have you tried working with the RSS feeds to set something up?
I thought perhaps only a refresh on the frontpage, or in the invidual forum pages, rather than threads themselves. Do you think that would work?

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.