PDA

View Full Version : Pitching a CG trailer

scotttygett
12-21-2004, 06:19 PM
At this thread, I'd like to ask about firsthand knowledge taking a CG short that isn't necessarily narratively complete, and pitching it to a studio or other vector, to attract funding.

Only one thing is implied, the short is successful. People you're not related to laugh or mutter to themselves to get money for it...

A couple of topics:

Do all places like atomfilms.com have contracts that are lengthy and presumptive? Does the contract for a TV station to run "Rambo" give them all internet rights if they make a mistake? Does anyone have a better/ideal form that we can submit instead? Do entertainment attorneys say to pass on the venues?
URL's would be great, http://www.foxsearchlight.com/lab/about/index.html is a pretty sad example, since they've folded until 2005, which is sort of now, so... is there anything a little more open front door-like?
Cheap festivals
Cheap markets or other entities going to markets?
Has anybody tried "Kartoon?" Co-production with US talent?
There are basically three routes: hire the project to a boutique studio, or assemble a boutique from the dross that can't seem to get a break, or scale down to fit the budget to five hard-working guys who get points -- do I have this right? Or is the first one two options: going the studio/network route and suggesting your studio but taking their lead as well as their check, or making a money connection good enough to pay a boutique adequately? (I've approached boutiques, and they all seem to have their own pet projects, but will shelve them for the right sponsor.)
Pitching your movie using IFilm or another free display venue?

cookepuss
12-21-2004, 07:04 PM
I'm sure others will chime in with answers to your questions. However, I wish to address something related. You won't necessarily pitch a trailer. Rather, you'll pitch a story treatment. Think of the treatment as a synopsis of the end product. This can often go hand in hand with concept art, test visuals, etc.. By test visuals, I mean a proof of concept. Take a look at the Animatrix within extras. For the Osiris short, they provided a proof of concept vid that more or less showed that they had a firm grasp of the material. Anyway, I digress.
You may also wish to start a thread on story treatments, as each person has their own approach to doing those.

scotttygett
01-01-2005, 06:53 AM
Oh, the bells, bells, bells, bells, bells, bells, bells,...

No one chimed anything in, so here's another two bits on what there could be at this thread, since having some or most of a short film may not be necessary (AND HOW! NO KIDDING!) but what the hey, what does a book cost these days, $80? Give me a video any day... Can I carry my script around with me all day? No! Can I carry it on a CD? Nobody reads books on CD's or wants to print them out! Besides, I think that whole CD file thing got phased out by XP,... (I can't read half my files now though I can defragment all day long, but if that's Bill's will...)

I rarely have anything show up in my life without a ton of praying, so I should mention that. If idolatrous ant farm genocide or watching reruns of "I Love Lucy" works for you, that's your thing.

On the "Finance" thread, mention was made of http://www.customflix.com/ which doesn't have a nasty submission agreement. Oh yeah, and it'll cost $50 to get your film up there for one year, which is cheaper than IFILM's $200. www.ifilm.com (http://www.ifilm.com/) has a no-fee version of its service, where your film may be removed after something like 30 days, if I remember correctly. IFILM's $200/yr version a friend used, and his sweet animated film was treated pretty well by them. www.bigfilmshorts.com (http://www.bigfilmshorts.com/) isn't a site where you can view a film, it's strictly distribution, but if they like your film, you're going to be in pretty good company.

www.triggerstreet.com (http://www.triggerstreet.com/) I hesitate to mention. The agreements you initial are insane, and you get weekly emails telling you that 100,000 scripts were added to the site, and the file size limit is 15 megs whether it's "405" or "Gone With the Wind." They did get a peachy window at Sundance last year though.

ASIFA-West, the animated film society, used to have a list of all the animated film festivals that didn't require admissions fees. If I can find the URL, I'll try to post it here. If someone else's got it, feel free.

scotttygett
01-04-2005, 08:34 AM
From Animation World Network:

* GET LISTED IN AWN’S UPCOMING PITCH GUIDE!
We are compiling a “Pitch Guide” for publication in January. The guide will be
a list of various studios from around the world that engage in development and
how artists can get in touch with them to pitch their projects.

The information we need is as follows:

* Company Name
* Contact Person
* Contact Person’s Title
* Contact Person’s Area of Expertise if Specified (example: Comedy for 6-12
year olds)
* Contact Person’s Contact Information
* Contact Person’s Pitching Preferences (example: mail in show bible, what’s
needs to be in bible, no follow up calls, etc.)
* Contact Person’s Assistant’s Name & Contact Info

If your company has multiple development personnel, please include separate
information for each person. Please send all responses to Rick DeMott at
rick@awn.com.

The goal of the article is to help producers and artists get in contact with
each other easier. It will also include lists of places where artists will be
able to gain representation, help with their pitches and any other general help
with their projects.

We thank you ahead of time for your participation and hope that this guide will
help lead the next great project to you.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.