PDA

View Full Version : Cg Toolkit Interview

SheepFactory
12-21-2004, 04:17 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/stories/2004_12/cgtoolkit_leon/creature_title.jpg

Hi Everyone ,

I had the pleasure of interviewing Karim Biri , the CEO of CG Toolkit about their muscle system plugin for Maya and their future plans.

Hope everyone enjoys the article:

http://www.cgnetworks.com/story.php?story_id=2667

Thanks ,
Ali

Deathcricket
12-21-2004, 04:57 PM
Very nice! The quality of articles on this site (and CGNetworks) amazes me.

zilverink
12-21-2004, 04:58 PM
nice article.. ;)..

evandaeman
12-21-2004, 05:11 PM
i'm an intermediate maya user... havn't done much with this kindda dynamic, but read your article... very well done...

hopefully one of these days i'll get to work with this plugin..

keep up the good work:thumbsup:

embodiedform
12-21-2004, 05:33 PM
Awsome article, thanks- These are the types of tutorials I am interested in (showing the whole process) and the plugin shows great promise

ven
12-21-2004, 06:16 PM
nnnnniceeee

Yikai
12-21-2004, 09:21 PM
This is awesome!
that makes everything easier! :eek:

kiaran
12-21-2004, 09:22 PM
I worked on 'The Making of Leon'.

Of the people who have ordered 'The Making of Leon' so far, they all seem to be really enjoying it. I worked really hard, with lots of talented people, to develop this training DVD. If you are interested, check out www.cgtoolkit.com (http://www.cgtoolkit.com) .

If you have any questions about it, don't hesitate to ask. :)

IGlowInTheDark
12-21-2004, 11:29 PM
That looks amazing! I wish there was a image I could use as a wallpaper.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

IGlowInTheDark

joo
12-22-2004, 02:11 AM
wow~~
great article.:buttrock:

Iced_Eagle
12-22-2004, 02:14 AM
Really cool stuff and a good interview! :)

go go go
12-22-2004, 02:24 AM
Love the nuts!@ http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/buttrock.gif

kiaran
12-22-2004, 03:21 AM
Love the nuts!
Hehe, kinda funny aren't they? Maybe he's so pissed off looking cause his penis is tiny compared to the rest of his body.

*wondering when dick/fart jokes will get old...*

PaulNBurns
12-22-2004, 04:18 AM
Always been fascinated with using muscles in 3d especially when I watched the making of the cave troll in LOTR FOTR. This looks very kewl. Wondering about the teeth on lower jaw that the monster can't really use. Could be to intimidate rivals or attract mates or maybe when going for the kill the lower jaw realigns itself, the mouth opens real big :scream: , and all teeth can be used - like the extremely dynamic mouth of the toturo in My Neighbor Tutoro.

MunCHeR
12-22-2004, 11:56 AM
Do you support all operating systems that run Maya?

At the moment, Windows NT/XP and Linux are supported.

When I go tp place an order for the plugin it only shows the Windows plugin? Is the linux version currently available?

Cheers

MunCH

stew
12-22-2004, 04:40 PM
Attention, serious nit-picking:
The article spells "NURBs" instead of NURBS. I know it's very tempting to assume that the S in NURBS is a plural S, but it isn't. NURBS is short for nonuniform rational B-spline, the last S is part of the acronym and therefore a capital letter.

Enough nit-picking, just pretend that I praise everything that I didn't criticise. ;)

joel3d
12-22-2004, 05:55 PM
I worked on 'The Making of Leon'.

Of the people who have ordered 'The Making of Leon' so far, they all seem to be really enjoying it. I worked really hard, with lots of talented people, to develop this training DVD. If you are interested, check out www.cgtoolkit.com .

If you have any questions about it, don't hesitate to ask.

Umm...Dont want to be negitive, but I wasnt 100% satisfied...Dont get me wrong, there is a ton off cool stuff with the DVD-set, It is WELL worth the price! You guys really worked hard on this!

But I recieved a dammaged set, problem was never was resolved.

MunCHeR
12-22-2004, 07:02 PM
But I recieved a dammaged set
Dude I hope the dvd's werent ruined, I received a damaged dvd case with the animal motion show, no harm no foul, the dvd was perfectly OK, and it seemed pointless to complain about a case esp when I live on a different continent, you havent put me off :D, still gonna grab them at that great price.:applause:

MunCH

kiaran
12-22-2004, 07:35 PM
The article spells "NURBs" instead of NURBS
HAHA, you're absolutely right. I always make that mistake too. ;) So what is the proper way to pluralize the acronym 'NURBS' ? Would it be 'NURBSs' or could you get away with just 'NURBS'?

But I recieved a dammaged set How badly were they damaged? Was the case ruined, or just scratched? Either way it's too bad because the packaging looks really nice. Have you emailed support or sales about this?

dany_x
12-22-2004, 07:49 PM
Amazing !!

LisaT
12-22-2004, 10:16 PM
Attention, serious nit-picking:
The article spells "NURBs" instead of NURBS. I know it's very tempting to assume that the S in NURBS is a plural S, but it isn't. NURBS is short for nonuniform rational B-spline, the last S is part of the acronym and therefore a capital letter. No problems Stew we now have NURBS not NURBs! (blame my heat-addled brain ;))

Maybe the plural should be NURBSes (like classes) :shrug:

joel3d
12-22-2004, 10:18 PM
MunCHeR- I not trying to put you off...Didnt I say it was Well worth it? and full of cool stuff? Go get it! I think youll be happy.

Kiaran- Yes the packaging is nice. it arrived perfectly, no dents or scraches...Some of the movie files were corrupt thats all. I did contact support, they were nice and tried to help. It went on for more than several days via email -Without having to go through the whole thing...I finally gave up on it.

Im not mad. just not 100% happy...Sorry to cast a cloud.

kiaran
12-22-2004, 11:40 PM
Without having to go through the whole thing...I finally gave up on it.
Boo!! That sucks. Send me an email, I'll try to help.

pixeloddity
12-23-2004, 12:57 PM
Very nice! The quality of articles on this site (and CGNetworks) amazes me.

MolemanSD7
12-24-2004, 01:34 AM
Hey guys,
This plug-in looks really nice. I was just wondering if Kiaran or anyone else knew if once a character is rigged and "skinned" in Maya using MTK it can be exported to other pachages like XSI? If not, are there any plans to expancd the plugin to XSI or MAX or any other packages? Thanks!

-Mole

nub
12-25-2004, 01:28 AM
where can i see how look complete (textured) character at the end? btw, this is my first post here, and i want to tell to all of you that you are doing really amazing things. it's always pleasure to come here.
pz

progerik
12-25-2004, 05:51 PM
where can i see how look complete (textured) character at the end? pz
Hi nub if you go to http://www.cgtoolkit.net/makingof.htm then video and DL the "Making of Leon Digital Preview" you will see it textured :)

kiaran
12-25-2004, 11:06 PM
once a character is rigged and "skinned" in Maya using MTK it can be exported to other pachages like XSI?

No, sorry. MTK rigs are not 'exportable'. If you want to export to XSI, you may be able to find a way to bake out the vertex info and import that.

stew
12-26-2004, 02:41 PM
HAHA, you're absolutely right. I always make that mistake too. ;) So what is the proper way to pluralize the acronym 'NURBS' ? Would it be 'NURBSs' or could you get away with just 'NURBS'?Not being a native speaker, I'm certainly not the autority on this subject ;)
You could interpret NURBS as acronym for B-Spline or B-Splines, so I think NURBS works fine. If you want to make it very explicit, "NURBS surfaces" vs "NURBS surface" is probably the best way, as usually we talk about surfaces and not splines when we say NURBS.

nub
12-27-2004, 11:10 PM
thanks progerik, but file is a bit too big for my connection :) any chance for you to post it?
pz

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.