PDA

View Full Version : Disney's Toy Story 3: Video Interview with the writer

RobertoOrtiz
12-20-2004, 08:32 PM
Quote:
"During the premiere of Meet the Fockers, writer James Herzfeld mentioned that he just turned in a draft for Toy Story 3. He also commented about the hopes of having the original cast return and the next film to have a theatrical release. If everything turns out as planned we should be able to expect a release within three years. He also gave us some insight on the storyline and that the Toys might end up going to a different country."

>>Link<< (http://www.iesb.net/movies2/movie121904b.php)
-R

Lil_Mick
12-20-2004, 08:54 PM
ya know, this could be cool, I won't count disney completly out yet...but I still say just let it go man.

~J

SegFaultII
12-21-2004, 05:32 AM
then disney does it produce by itself? pixar leaves disney after cars is released right??
if not, that could be the first flop from pixar :/

Fungusmonkey
12-21-2004, 10:52 PM
Yet another marvelous example of Disney's premier marketing strategy, which I believe goes something like this:

1. Take Profitable Horse
2. Kill Horse
3. Flog Dead Horse
4. Repeat Step 3 (preferably Direct-To-Video)

When is Disney going to learn that instead of spending time rehashing their popular movies, they should try making a good movie themselves. Damn, I'm glad Pixar is getting the heck away from these people.

Shaderhacker
12-21-2004, 11:10 PM
Yet another marvelous example of Disney's premier marketing strategy, which I believe goes something like this:

1. Take Profitable Horse
2. Kill Horse
3. Flog Dead Horse
4. Repeat Step 3 (preferably Direct-To-Video)

When is Disney going to learn that instead of spending time rehashing their popular movies, they should try making a good movie themselves. Damn, I'm glad Pixar is getting the heck away from these people.
You guys are hilarious.. continue to troll Disney for wanting to make Toy Story 3... it's gonna happen.. get over it.

-M

SpiralFace
12-22-2004, 02:05 AM
just becuase its GOING to happen does'nt mean we have to be exited or happy about it. And I'm sure all of us here wants to see this movie (at some level) be good and do well. But concidering that Disney animation prettymuch has to start from scratch becuase pixar's out of the picture, its a big up hill battle for them to get it to look good. And disneys current track record for enjoyable feature length entertainment has been very sub-par over the past few years. Yeah I'm sure eventualy they'll get out of the hole that their in, but right now they are in a very BIG hole.

SOPLAND
12-22-2004, 02:19 AM
When is Disney going to learn that instead of spending time rehashing their popular movies, they should try making a good movie themselves.
They actually are making other movies, using new properties... 6 other movies, to be exact, that they've mentioned publicly, and lord knows they probably have several others on the drawing board. They'd be stupid not to take advantage of the properties they own while developing new properties.

I'm sure this Toy Story 3 will probably be pretty good, they know what they have to live up to, and it's not hard to make Toy Story look good. Plastic Toys are probably the easiest thing to do on a computer, which incidentally is why Pixar chose the subject for their earliest shorts and first feature. Disney just needs a really solid script.

barpoet
12-22-2004, 02:24 AM
Hey i think if the writing ot TS3 is good , then it will be a success. Pixar's strength isn't their animation... its the story ... as long as Disney invests in the Story i will happily pay my $17 to see it.:thumbsup:

Shaderhacker
12-22-2004, 06:12 AM
just becuase its GOING to happen does'nt mean we have to be exited or happy about it. And I'm sure all of us here wants to see this movie (at some level) be good and do well. But concidering that Disney animation prettymuch has to start from scratch becuase pixar's out of the picture, its a big up hill battle for them to get it to look good. And disneys current track record for enjoyable feature length entertainment has been very sub-par over the past few years. Yeah I'm sure eventualy they'll get out of the hole that their in, but right now they are in a very BIG hole. Bah! This isn't some small no-name company starting from scratch. It's Disney! The artists who get hired for the job will do their best (I'm sure). If you were working on it, wouldn't you try your best to make it exactly if not better than the previous Toy Storys'?

I'm just getting tired of the bashing of Disney trying to go out on their own and make their own 3d animated movies. Every 3d movie that comes out shouldn't have to come from Pixar, and certainly every 3d movie that isn't made by Pixar HAS to be a failure either.

-M

Shaderhacker
12-22-2004, 06:14 AM
Disney just needs a really solid script.
As do all movies that come out of Hollywood..

Good point.

-M

Bentagon
12-22-2004, 11:59 AM
Bah! This isn't some small no-name company starting from scratch. It's Disney! The artists who get hired for the job will do their best (I'm sure). If you were working on it, wouldn't you try your best to make it exactly if not better than the previous Toy Storys'?

I'm just getting tired of the bashing of Disney trying to go out on their own and make their own 3d animated movies. Every 3d movie that comes out shouldn't have to come from Pixar, and certainly every 3d movie that isn't made by Pixar HAS to be a failure either.

-MThe point is definitly not that the artist wouldn't be talented enough, not at all. It's the board and bosses of the animated division making to many wrong decisions. Knowing that the script is partially written by the writer of "meet the parents" makes me expect the worst, since I didn't like that movie, but I'm definitly hoping for the opposite. Maybe it's a good thing for them that expectations aren't too high.

- Bentagon

Shaderhacker
12-22-2004, 07:22 PM
The point is definitly not that the artist wouldn't be talented enough, not at all. It's the board and bosses of the animated division making to many wrong decisions. The wrong decisions on a script? Every script that produces a movie isn't perfect. Hell, Polar Express has a crappy story (in my opinion) and it is still managing to be successful! SharkTale was pretty weak in the script department too - and it's still a big success.

Basically, Toy Story 3 is bound to be a success whether the script is crappy or not. People will flock to see it. Hoping that it is a failure just because Disney is doing it and not Pixar is just plain wrong though.

-M

Bentagon
12-22-2004, 07:29 PM
No-one here is hoping it fails, not at all. We're hoping that it isn't bad. Success these days has very little to do with the quality of the picture. The Pixar films were just of such tremendous quality we're hoping, but at the moment doubting, that Disney will produce a similar result.

- Bentagon

Tocpe
12-22-2004, 07:46 PM
Shaderhacker, think about this:

Disney is creating a sequel to a Pixar work. This is like Warner Brothers doing a sequel to one of the original Star Wars films without ILM or Lucas. Say they decided they were going to do episode VII without him. Or better yet, suppose back in '83 Fox thought they didn't need Lucas and decided they would do Return of the Jedi without him.

Disney does great work, but they've had some duds lately and I'm sure they will recover eventually. But the fact remains, Toy Story is Pixar's baby. Nobody can know the Pixar characters and their stories as well as their "Momma". :)

Or how about this, you've just finished writing, storyboarding, animating & rendering a 3D animated film. You've spent three years of your life on this project. You team up with a distributor to help get your film out to film festivals. When it makes it to the film festivals it's a huge hit. Everyone loves it. You end up making lots of money off the sales of hats, t-shirts, and other assorted merchandise off of your beloved characters and story. Then due to a stipulation in your contract with your distributor, the distributor decides they are going to make a sequel to *your* film.

Now who do you think is going to know those characters and their stories better? You, who shed your blood, sweat and tears over these characters or the distributor? Think about it, seriously.

I don't want to see Disney fall on their face here either, but I have some serious concerns about their ability to extend and expand upon another's works and still be true and faithful to the world of Toy Story.

clockwerkz
12-22-2004, 08:13 PM
I have to agree with Tocpe there. Regardless of the fact that they were contracted by Disney, Pixar blazed a new path with Toy Story in that it was the first featured length CG flick. It's special to Pixar. So why make a Toy Story 3? It already has a sequel. Why not a Monsters Inc 2, or a Bug's Life 2 or something?
Nevertheless, I really hope Disney really focuses on this. I think there's a lot more at stake than just box office money. You're really putting out a legendary name and if it doesnt do well, cheapening it.
Imagine if Disney himself had been in Pixar's shoes when he released Snow White. Then later, the distributing company went out and made Snow White 2 without him. Actually, I think something similar to this happened to him with Oswald the Lucky Rabbit (prior to Mickey Mouse).

cW

Tocpe
12-22-2004, 08:52 PM
You're right Clock, something very similar happened to Walt Disney with Oswald. Legend tells us that's how we got Mickey. :) Kind of ironic isn't it?

Shaderhacker
12-22-2004, 11:36 PM
No-one here is hoping it fails, not at all. We're hoping that it isn't bad. Success these days has very little to do with the quality of the picture. The Pixar films were just of such tremendous quality we're hoping, but at the moment doubting, that Disney will produce a similar result.

- Bentagon
Name one company that makes CG animated films that you think *DOES* have the quality of Pixar films.

-M

Shaderhacker
12-22-2004, 11:44 PM
Shaderhacker, think about this:

Disney is creating a sequel to a Pixar work. This is like Warner Brothers doing a sequel to one of the original Star Wars films without ILM or Lucas. Say they decided they were going to do episode VII without him. Or better yet, suppose back in '83 Fox thought they didn't need Lucas and decided they would do Return of the Jedi without him.Your logic is typical. Does it mean that if WB makes Ep. VII that it will more than likely fail? Or that if ILM did it that it would be a guaranteed success?

Disney does great work, but they've had some duds lately and I'm sure they will recover eventually. But the fact remains, Toy Story is Pixar's baby. Nobody can know the Pixar characters and their stories as well as their "Momma". :)Herein lies a fault to the logic. A lot of the people that made Toy Story happen probably isn't at Pixar anymore. So it would more than likely be new staff making it happen even at Pixar.

Or how about this, you've just finished writing, storyboarding, animating & rendering a 3D animated film. You've spent three years of your life on this project. You team up with a distributor to help get your film out to film festivals. When it makes it to the film festivals it's a huge hit. Everyone loves it. You end up making lots of money off the sales of hats, t-shirts, and other assorted merchandise off of your beloved characters and story. Then due to a stipulation in your contract with your distributor, the distributor decides they are going to make a sequel to *your* film. A contract is a contract. Every film studio I worked for has a contract that says all the software I invent or implement belongs to them and they can do whatever they see fit with it long after I've left the company. I signed it so I can't gripe if they decide to use my algorithms or software to make their own software or pipeline and call it theirs; there isn't much I can complain about. Obviously Pixar was ok with this at the initial signing, so why can't you guys be?

-M

Shaderhacker
12-22-2004, 11:49 PM
I have to agree with Tocpe there. Regardless of the fact that they were contracted by Disney, Pixar blazed a new path with Toy Story in that it was the first featured length CG flick. It's special to Pixar. So why make a Toy Story 3? It already has a sequel. Why not a Monsters Inc 2, or a Bug's Life 2 or something? Your complaint would still be the same. If Disney decided to make an Incredibles 2, would that also be considered "cheating" Pixar? Probably in your eyes. Basically the consensus on these boards is that even though Disney has the right to make Pixar sequels and it makes logical sense from a business point-of-view, people don't want to see Disney remake any of the Pixar films. Well, I would much rather just admit that than to bash the company continuously about how I think the film will blow or not be good, or it shouldn't be getting made, etc..

-M

Bentagon
12-23-2004, 12:01 AM
Name one company that makes CG animated films that you think *DOES* have the quality of Pixar films.

-MWhat does that have to do anything with my point? I'm not only talking about technical things here. And even if I were, no-one knows what all those companies will be able to produce in 2-3 years.

Your logic is typical. Does it mean that if WB makes Ep. VII that it will more than likely fail? Or that if ILM did it that it would be a guaranteed success?Once again, we're talking about quality, not success. And we believe the quality is probably coming from the original vision.

Herein lies a fault to the logic. A lot of the people that made Toy Story happen probably isn't at Pixar anymore. So it would more than likely be new staff making it happen even at Pixar.The people with the vision definitly are. Quality of the movie is thier job. John Lasseter, etc. If the "originals" aren't in the team anymore, we think that it will be very hard to keep the film on the same track and of the same quality as the previous ones.

A contract is a contract. Every film studio I worked for has a contract that says all the software I invent or implement belongs to them and they can do whatever they see fit with it long after I've left the company. I signed it so I can't gripe if they decide to use my algorithms or software to make their own software or pipeline and call it theirs; there isn't much I can complain about. Obviously Pixar was ok with this at the initial signing, so why can't you guys be?We aren't necesarrily unhappy, we're only concerned. There's also a difference between you working for a company, and a company working for it's own, but who's work is being distributed by others.

Your complaint would still be the same. If Disney decided to make an Incredibles 2, would that also be considered "cheating" Pixar? Probably in your eyes. Basically the consensus on these boards is that even though Disney has the right to make Pixar sequels and it makes logical sense from a business point-of-view, people don't want to see Disney remake any of the Pixar films. Well, I would much rather just admit that than to bash the company continuously about how I think the film will blow or not be good, or it shouldn't be getting made, etc..

-M I don't get his point eather. But we aren't saying we don't want to see a Disney sequel of a Pixar film. We would love to see it, if it lives up to the originals. Have you seen any of the sequels Disney's been producing during the last years? You've probably noticed then that the quality of those films is far lower then the originals. We just wouldn't like to see the same thing happen to the movie (or any of the movies) that made CG animation what it is today.

- Bentagon

Shaderhacker
12-23-2004, 12:46 AM
What does that have to do anything with my point? I'm not only talking about technical things here. And even if I were, no-one knows what all those companies will be able to produce in 2-3 years.The point I'm trying to make is the age-old statement, "well it's not being done by Pixar, so it's gonna be poo." This is basically what people say most of the time about something that doesn't come from Pixar.

Once again, we're talking about quality, not success. And we believe the quality is probably coming from the original vision.Quality is in the personnel's talent (which all major studios have). There can be great quality films, but the script can still be lacking in those very same films. Are you saying that Toy Story 3 won't have the same graphical quality as the older ones in terms of look, animation, etc..? If so, that would be severly under-estimating Disney and it's talented staff since Toy Story 1 is pretty old technology-wise.

The people with the vision definitly are. Quality of the movie is thier job. John Lasseter, etc. If the "originals" aren't in the team anymore, we think that it will be very hard to keep the film on the same track and of the same quality as the previous ones.Lasseter is one man. A lot of "originals" aren't there any longer. Sony picked up one of the major writers of Toy Story for their own movie "Open Season". I also know several artists that no longer work there that worked on Toy Story and quite a few that work there that never worked on Toy Story, so I would say this is not true.

We aren't necesarrily unhappy, we're only concerned. There's also a difference between you working for a company, and a company working for it's own, but who's work is being distributed by others.I disagree. Pixar, in essence, was working for Disney because they agreed to a contract on Disney's terms. 50% ownership, 50% profit, and a small distribution fee had to be paid. This deal wasn't just a distribution sign..

Have you seen any of the sequels Disney's been producing during the last years? The 2D sequels and this new 3D from-the-ground-up workforce are totally different things. Dreamworks' 2D films were poo too near the end of their 2D reign. Let's place judgement when Chicken Little and the other 3D films come out in the future. Afterall, that's all you have to go on when it concerns 3D.

-M

capone_adam
12-23-2004, 01:07 AM
Just read this...I hate to bash things before they are even released, it COULD be good but...

wrrgrhghgh!!!111...such a tired idea for a sequal, taking the movie to another country. Can just see it now...there will be toys based on the nationality, they don't get on with the good old american toys...but are forced to work together. -_________________________-

http://a1259.g.akamai.net/f/1259/5586/1d/images.art.com/images/PRODUCTS/large/10095000/10095297.jpg

http://a1259.g.akamai.net/f/1259/5586/1d/images.art.com/images/PRODUCTS/large/10076000/10076413.jpg

I could do a few more but I don't want to annoy anyone incase they have 56k...

capone_adam
12-23-2004, 01:10 AM
ah go on...one more...

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001907D0.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Bentagon
12-23-2004, 04:05 PM
The point I'm trying to make is the age-old statement, "well it's not being done by Pixar, so it's gonna be poo." This is basically what people say most of the time about something that doesn't come from Pixar.I know you mean that, but you said you were tired of the bashing on disney for this, while no-one in this thread had this opinion. Besides, very few people are actually saying that. I know a lot of us are looking forward to Chicken Little, Madagascar and Valliant (and more).

Quality is in the personnel's talent (which all major studios have). There can be great quality films, but the script can still be lacking in those very same films. Are you saying that Toy Story 3 won't have the same graphical quality as the older ones in terms of look, animation, etc..? If so, that would be severly under-estimating Disney and it's talented staff since Toy Story 1 is pretty old technology-wise.Read the thing you've quoted first. Things like "not technical" and "no-one knows what's that going to be like in 2-3 years". The quality of a great movie is in it's story, not in the animation. Great animation can't improve a bad story, it can only make a good film better.

Lasseter is one man. A lot of "originals" aren't there any longer. Sony picked up one of the major writers of Toy Story for their own movie "Open Season". I also know several artists that no longer work there that worked on Toy Story and quite a few that work there that never worked on Toy Story, so I would say this is not true.It was Lasseter who had the original vision of this film. I bet Spielberg won't have the same people in his team for the next Indiana Jones as in the previous ones. But himself, George Lucas and Harrison Ford are still there. Lasseter is gone for the next Toy Story, and Hanks and Allen might be gone too.

I disagree. Pixar, in essence, was working for Disney because they agreed to a contract on Disney's terms. 50% ownership, 50% profit, and a small distribution fee had to be paid. This deal wasn't just a distribution sign..Okay, then I might be wrong about that. But this still won't up the quality of the film, since they had no real creative involvement in the previous ones.

The 2D sequels and this new 3D from-the-ground-up workforce are totally different things. Dreamworks' 2D films were poo too near the end of their 2D reign. Let's place judgement when Chicken Little and the other 3D films come out in the future. Afterall, that's all you have to go on when it concerns 3D.What has the medium got to do with the films quality? It's the STORY that matters. Hell, most of the animation on those Disney sequels and non-sequels and Dreamworks films was good to great, but the stories were mostly lacking. We can be assured the films will have visual quality, yes, but we're worried about what quality the base of it all will have.

- Bentagon

Shaderhacker
12-23-2004, 06:26 PM
Ok, so now that you've made your point about STORY being the most important thing. Why are you doubting Disney hiring good writers to make TS3 be a good movie (story-wise)? Just because Lassater is not behind it? Does the movie NEED Lassater for it to shine? To me, the chances are the same on whether

Also on the note of the next Indiana Jones', guess what? All of them were poo after Raiders, so even if it was the same Director's, Writers, etc.. don't mean that they are guaranteed to be good stories. Heck, even the last Potter was poo (in my opinion).

-M

Bentagon
12-23-2004, 07:24 PM
My doubting for the story lies in what's been told in that video. And that the one telling this all is the writer of Meet The Parents, a movie which I didn't like at all, and which style wouldn't fit in a Toy Story film, imo. I'm not saying it will be bad, but I'm afraid of it.
And I believe Lasseter was a very big part in the overall story and style of the first two films, so I'm hoping they will be able to contain this. Once again, not saying they won't, just saying that it will be very difficult.

And about the Indiana Jones: quite frankly, I haven't seen the Temple of Doom completely, and haven't got a good memory of the other two since I've only seen them once, and quite a while ago. I was just trying to find a clear example. About the HP films, I haven't seen them at all.

- Bentagon

Shaderhacker
12-23-2004, 10:54 PM
My doubting for the story lies in what's been told in that video. And that the one telling this all is the writer of Meet The Parents, a movie which I didn't like at all, and which style wouldn't fit in a Toy Story film, imo. I'm not saying it will be bad, but I'm afraid of it.
Do you know of all the writers that made all the feature films? I don't know *any* of them. I look at the film for what it is. "Meet the Parents" is not "Toy Story 3".

And about the Indiana Jones: quite frankly, I haven't seen the Temple of Doom completely, and haven't got a good memory of the other two since I've only seen them once, and quite a while ago. I was just trying to find a clear example. About the HP films, I haven't seen them at all.

- Bentagon
Where's the beef? :)

-M

SOPLAND
12-23-2004, 11:19 PM
If you look at the credits for Toy Story 2 you'll see that one of the three co-directors no longer works for Pixar and it looks like 5 of the seven writers don't work for Pixar. Further inspecting the bios you'll see that a few of the Toy Story 2 writers seem to make regular appearances on Disney (not Pixar) projects... Kind of makes you wonder just how much influence Disney had over those movies, because it sure looks like they were bringing their own writers in. I'm not trying to take anything away from Pixar, just pointing out that they didn't make those successful movies in a vaccuum. Especially not with Disney in the mix. Disney is famous for medeling, tweaking and agonizing over the smallest details, and they probably deserve more than a little credit for making Pixar's movies what they are.

If Toy Story 3 turns out to be a piece of crap I'll be really suprised. Disney knows what they have to live up to and I for one would love more than anything to seem them be successful and make an absolutely great movie. The truth is by the time Toy Story 3 hits theaters it will probably have had a dozen writers contribute to it.

Another thing, these 2D movies, the ones Disney made over the last few years that weren't overly successful, the ones everyone here seems so down on... I've seen them all. They aren't bad movies by a long shot; infact, a couple of them I think were really fantastic, and everyone of them is better than 95 percent of the crap that comes from Hollywood. I have every confidence that Disney will do a great job with the Pixar sequels, and no matter who is in charge of that company I want to see them remain at the peak of Feature Animation. I don't know about anyone else but it would really break my heart to see Disney become a second or third rate animation studio.

tevih
12-24-2004, 06:55 PM
Your logic is typical. Does it mean that if WB makes Ep. VII that it will more than likely fail? Or that if ILM did it that it would be a guaranteed success?

Herein lies a fault to the logic. A lot of the people that made Toy Story happen probably isn't at Pixar anymore. So it would more than likely be new staff making it happen even at Pixar.

You're right - Pixar would have to start over. Thing is, they shouldn't even bother making a TS3 in the first place! Enjoy the success and the profits that the first two made, and let it rest.

The real issue is that everybody thinks it's just "not nice" for Disney to make a TS3, especially without Pixar - it's not really a matter of "it will or won't do well"; it most probably will, I think, since Disney knows they have a lot to live up to. (The story ideas mentioned in the interview sounded intriguing to me.) The problem is, nobody can argue "they're not being nice" because thats naive and silly in the business world, so people try and come up with other arguments.

Disney wants to make money and are currently in a bad slump, and from a business standpoint, Toy Story 3 what pulls them out.

Shaderhacker
12-26-2004, 12:13 AM
You're right - Pixar would have to start over. Thing is, they shouldn't even bother making a TS3 in the first place! Enjoy the success and the profits that the first two made, and let it rest.

The real issue is that everybody thinks it's just "not nice" for Disney to make a TS3, especially without Pixar - it's not really a matter of "it will or won't do well"; it most probably will, I think, since Disney knows they have a lot to live up to. (The story ideas mentioned in the interview sounded intriguing to me.) The problem is, nobody can argue "they're not being nice" because thats naive and silly in the business world, so people try and come up with other arguments.

Disney wants to make money and are currently in a bad slump, and from a business standpoint, Toy Story 3 what pulls them out.
Agreed.

-M

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.