PDA

View Full Version : Firefox cache

theboykidney
12-20-2004, 04:50 PM
Hi,

I can view teh cache, but I cant figure out how to view the files...

How can I find [because you cant sort them] and convert the files into their original type?

Cheers, TBK

Garma
12-20-2004, 05:25 PM
why would you want that? A cache is not meant to be viewed, and is optimised for internal use..

theboykidney
12-20-2004, 05:28 PM
im trying to get a picture thats in there

jbo
12-20-2004, 06:04 PM
im trying to get a picture thats in there
have you tried just dragging the cache file into firefox? i know i've done this in the past, i think that's how i did it, but i can't remember

Garma
12-31-2004, 09:35 AM
lil late reaction but I was on holiday

can't you just file -> save as... ?

I presume you are trying to get around a right mouse button block, correct? you can also use HTTrack Website copier to copy the complete website to your computer.

theboykidney
12-31-2004, 01:43 PM
actually, what I was trying to do was get a picture that was an attachemnt at a hotmail account. and the account wasnt mine, jsut viewed on my computer, so obviously I couldnt go back and get it myself.

The really annoying thing is that you cant arrange the cache like any other windows folder [and IE temp files] - like "arrange by date/type"...

Anyway, this was a good while ago, so im sure its been cleaned out, and even if it wasnt, It would be a helluva time trying to dig it out now...

Ah well, there goes an opportunity for a great gag:shrug:

Segmoria
12-31-2004, 08:32 PM
yes all that "hiding the cache into cryptic files" is one annoying mozilla feature.
though if the file you are looking for is an image file you can browse the contents of the directory that the cache is supposed to be in with ACDsee, then sort the files by "Image Properties" and now you can get an idea about what each file is.
Start previewing them one by one and as soon as you find the image you are looking for, just rename it to .jpg or whatever format it used to be and there you have your file back from the crypt :)

Vsai
01-02-2005, 11:42 PM
In firefox type about:cache in the url bar.. from there you can see whats what and where it came from

byanfu
01-03-2005, 02:33 AM
Thats a cool trick Vsai, thanks.

theboykidney
01-03-2005, 09:56 AM
The problem with the about:cache is that you cant really see them the way you want ie. by size, type date etc. the only way that comes close is using ACDsee like Segmoria described - which is still pretty poor...

kyrt
01-04-2005, 02:42 PM
wht u guys are talking about? firefox cache?

kogakure
01-05-2005, 02:39 PM
There is no need to access the cache of firefox. If you need some items, you could use some usefull extentions like SpiderZilla or ScrapBook.

senocular
01-23-2005, 10:00 AM
There is no need to access the cache of firefox. If you need some items, you could use some usefull extentions like SpiderZilla or ScrapBook.

no need? Do you understand to purpose of the cache? I need to access it all the time. I need to know what file was downloaded, when, how big it was, and from what domain (among other things). And I need to be able to selectively remove items from the cache so that I can test and debug projects I'm working on. Firefox makes this extremely difficult to do. Not to mention at home I'm on dialup so every item in my cache is precious to me. If I want to force a site refresh (or a linked element such as a loaded flash movie), I would want that ability to remove only the old item from my cache instead of clearing it completely. I despise the way FF handles its cache. I see no purpose.

Seets_
01-24-2005, 01:17 AM
I agree the way ff handles cache is annoing to say the least...

I tend to like saving alot of swf and other files that you can't just right click and save. A neat little trick in ff is right clicking one the page and going to 'view page info' then to the media tab. This lists alll media available on the page. Then you simply click on what you want and click save as. Though i think Mozilla should have a hard think about implenting somekind of cache viewer in later versions...

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.