PDA

View Full Version : ATI and Softimage to Offer XSI /FireGL Solution

wmendez
12-20-2004, 01:44 PM
http://www.xsibase.com/news.php?detail=1203

“ATI and Softimage are offering 3D artists an extraordinary opportunity to have instant access to the professional animation software and the latest graphics technology – quickly and affordably,” said Gareth Morgan, Senior Product Manager, Softimage. “This new bundle enables customers who are currently using AGP-based desktop systems to access leading animation and graphics technology, extending the life of their current hardware investments. By working together, both Softimage and ATI are underscoring the important synergy of software and hardware in today\'s digital content creation market.”

SoulVector
12-20-2004, 01:50 PM
that is indeed a great offer. would be even better if they had pci-express option.

dotTom
12-20-2004, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I guess ATI need to off load some old AGP parts.

EdHarriss
12-20-2004, 06:30 PM
- The bottom line is, you get an ATI FireGL™ T2-128 AGP 8X for $99 when you buy foundation for $500.
- Sounds like a pretty good deal to me!

Per-Anders
12-20-2004, 06:49 PM
so does that mean xsi now works with ati cards? (as there used to be some serious issues)

EdHarriss
12-20-2004, 07:09 PM
- I hope so.
- It would be embarassing for the card bundled with XSI to have the same problems as the old ones.

schuubars
12-20-2004, 08:38 PM
Yes fine, with an Radeon 9700pro(128mb) 740'000 polys at 11-14 frames per secon (smooth shaded wire)
With a Fire GL X2 1,4 million polys at 15 frames. (smooth shaded wire)

on AMD XP 3000+ and 1 gig ram

btw with both cards in DualView at 1240x1024

so does that mean xsi now works with ati cards?

ggg
12-21-2004, 08:48 AM
Man, I hope the recent flakey XSI+NVidia issues, like dual display and limited windows eventually causing crashing, that have come up with the latest version of both, get resolved soon back to the great solid way they used too, or that the ATIs finally work *consistenlty* well with XSI.

liquidik
12-21-2004, 08:54 AM
Well, I have an ATI FireGL X3, switched from a GeForceFX 5700 which worked pretty well in XSI, but i have had to change due to limitations in DVI resolution, and I'm pretty happy with it. It work without a problem, not even a crash or an hang, and no noticeable quirks.

Tex3D
12-21-2004, 02:32 PM
Hey guys, I just recently bought XSI Foundation (in the hopes of leaving Max ) and I was wondering if you had any more info on the ATI - XSI problems.:eek:

I hadn't heard anything about it, and I use ATI exclusively (NVIDIA and I dont get along well).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Dave

JDex
12-21-2004, 07:45 PM
Hey guys, I just recently bought XSI Foundation (in the hopes of leaving Max ) and I was wondering if you had any more info on the ATI - XSI problems.:eek:

I hadn't heard anything about it, and I use ATI exclusively (NVIDIA and I dont get along well).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Dave
Dave... do a search for ATI over at XSIbase... there will be alot of search results.

ATI's have been notoriously unstable and trouble plagued in regards to XSI, however most ATI users lately have been saying that the recent driver sets are relieving these issues... I doubt it will be a problem for long, if it even still is.

Welcome to the XSI side of the world.

Tex3D
12-21-2004, 08:23 PM
Thanks man,

I'm pretty darned excited about the whole thing. Softimage ROCKS for dropping the price!:bounce:

I have a 10 hour drive with my sister from Austin to El Paso this week, so needless to say I will be hauling the training DVD's and my laptop.

By the time I get back to Austin I shall be the XSI MASTER!!:D FEAR ME!!

-Dave

actually....I'll be lucky if I can make a spinning globe with some lens flares!:blush:

wmendez
12-24-2004, 02:41 PM
Dave... do a search for ATI over at XSIbase... there will be alot of search results.

ATI's have been notoriously unstable and trouble plagued in regards to XSI, however most ATI users lately have been saying that the recent driver sets are relieving these issues... I doubt it will be a problem for long, if it even still is.

Welcome to the XSI side of the world.
Just wanted to mention that a majority of the ATI problems mentioned are related to Radeon /Gaming cards and not the Certified FireGL cards that are included in this bundle.

ATI had been getting better with the drivers and are looking to inprove the Linux drivers as well.

hamu73
12-29-2004, 02:39 PM
do you get the 5 production series dvds with this bundle??

and do you only get the production series until 31st dec in the regular offer??

talos72
12-29-2004, 04:15 PM
I would really like to know if those ATI integrated cards that come with Toshiba Satellite laptops work ok with Houdini!!! I was really interested in the Toshiba note books, but now they switched to ATI cards and I know ATI and Houdini did not get along that well.

wmendez
12-29-2004, 04:46 PM

No, you do not get the DVD's with this Promo

wmendez
12-29-2004, 04:47 PM

No, you do not get the DVD's with this Promo. The DVD promo has been extended until Dec 31st 2004.

Tex3D
12-31-2004, 05:23 AM
:bounce: My XSI finally came in and man oh man am I STOKED!! You don't realize how much info is on 5 DVD's, untill they are all actually sitting in front of you. Add the DVD of new features that's in the box, and the new features book, and you have a LOT of learning to do.

I almost fainted when I realized how much work it was gonna be switching from Max to XSI:sad:

Once I started checking out the DVD's though, I think it's gonna be worth it. Now if only I can get my hands on a new graphics card...:D

-Dave

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.