PDA

View Full Version : head help

Fudge
12-20-2004, 11:51 AM
heya all i found this tutorial http://www.alfonsi.org/wizardnx/headtut_e.htm though i have a question, where he does the eye he takes one poly and extrudes it into the shape of the eye but im wondering does it matter how many times he extrudes it (i know the more times you extrude the more polys) but does it matter that theyre in the places he put them in?

Fudge (so sorry this is explaind badly, if needed i will try to re-phrase it just ask)

StephanD
12-20-2004, 12:19 PM
Try to forget about this 'Each Vertex has it's own place',it's not true and really will confuse you much more than anything else.

Go with how the shapes are done in the real world,if you don't have enough polygons to work with add more,even if that mean twice as much as in the tutorial.

Don't follow tutorials to the letter and you'll learn much more.

PS:Making anatomically correct eyes requires alot of polygons so you don't have to pull the control cage's vertice too much out of the mesh and end up with a spikey looking control cage.

Fudge
12-20-2004, 12:32 PM
ok thanks but my fear is if i have less polys or diffrent shape when he continues to extrude the verts down into the shape of the face i wont get the correct shape.

Fudge

StephanD
12-20-2004, 12:52 PM
Yes but what I mean is that the correct shape is the one you see in the mirror,not the one he depicted in his tutorial. ;)

If your eye folds in some places you will want to add details for the fold and it's creases and if the tutorial neglects this part,you on the other hand shouldn't,so add as much as you want until you feel the shape is exact.

BTW:When I say 'the shape is exact' I mean the unsubdivided cage.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.