PDA

View Full Version : muscle tk question

metalhead419
12-20-2004, 08:38 AM
Hey everyone, I have been using muscle TK for the past month and was wondering if anyone could help me with toubleshooting some tricky areas in the body. I have been studying as much anatomy as possible (“anatomy for the artist,” Goldfinger and many other books) and trying to develop a hyper-realistic rig. However, there are still areas that I just seem to have a difficult time problem solving. The big one seems to be the side of the upper thigh. When I raise the leg, there is a tearing of the mesh where the pinch point is (where the rectus femoris has its origin.) What I am asking is does anyone have techniques to get good results with this area or suggestions for good muscle skinning. I know you can resort to painting weights but I was hoping to still give the appearance that muscle is effecting the region by maintaining volume. Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

-Neil

seven6ty
12-20-2004, 09:34 AM
I'm working on a simplified muscle set up for the thigh right now myself, you're talking about the area on the front side of the hip, right? Just above and outside of the groin area, right?

For myself, I have a pelvis stand in piece of geometry there (which is actually just constrained to the center hip joint), and that provides the weighting for the pivot point of the front of the thigh. Then my character has a rather large belly, which I have an influence control for, to keep the belly skin in place, and after that I've just made a rectus femoris muscle soft bound to the center hip, left hip and knee joint. It deforms a bit odd still, so I'm going to go in with blend shapes to control the deformations near the hip and to make it so it doesn't bow so much when bent, I'll try and attach a few pictures after this post to give you an idea. I know it's not necessarily a muscle TK approach, but perhaps it will help? I'd also like to see how you're going about the problem, as I plan to pick up that package in the future also.

seven6ty
12-20-2004, 09:41 AM
Kay, here's the set up I have so far, I've already bound and made a blendshape for the hamstring mucles so far, so they should be behaving pretty much as I want them. Like I said, I have to make a blendshape for the rectus femoris to make it not bow so much and to keep the top of it in place and make the lines of verts rotate back a bit.

Edit: There, now I've added the second pic with a tiny bit of blendshape work done to it to tweak it a bit.

DangerAhead
12-20-2004, 10:38 PM
try using the MuscleTK tendon for that area instead of a muscle.

Also, MuscleTK 1.1 has action lines that could help you with this problem. If you own Muscle TK you should have got an email for the a download to the upgrades.

G

metalhead419
12-21-2004, 04:58 AM
Yes I just started using action lines. Thanks so much for your suggestions.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.