PDA

View Full Version : Low poly modeling > normals control.

Monkey_Majick
09-02-2002, 10:39 AM
I've come from a 3D studio Max background and I've been trying out XSI 2.01.

Is there a tool(s) in XSI to control which way the normals of an object face, as like in MAX?

dmonk
09-02-2002, 01:26 PM
At the top of the veiwport you can turn on normals so you can see them and if your working in polys you can can invert polygons in the modify/polygon menu and the normals change.

Hope that helps

Monkey_Majick
09-04-2002, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the response. My qestion should have been clearer.

in max you can change the smoothing groups of selected polygons. This changes which way the normals face.

Can this be done in XSI aswell?

Vic3k
09-04-2002, 08:27 AM
unfortunately you can't do it on a selected polys but i'm sureversion3 will have something like it. BUT you can select your model and go to get>property>geometry approximation>then the gapprox tab> and there the top slider is the one to control normals directions

skyPhyr
09-05-2002, 06:18 AM
hi guys,

This is a reply I posted to a similar question elsewhere - Hopefully it gives a bit of detail on what you're after. Anyway - here it is. (Ok - so I was lazy and didn't type it all in again)

I haven't seen max's smoothing groups implemented in the same manner anywhere else - personally I prefer the way it's implemented elsewhere, but that's just personal taste - anyway - I'll go through how it works in XSI and you can make up your own mind

Ok - as you'd know in max all the normals on of edges between polies in the same smoothing group are average - this makes it look nice and smooth. In maya and xsi you don't actually have smoothing groups - what you have is the ability to mark edges as hard. In XSI however it by default automatically marks hard edges based on the angle so the first thing you'll need to do is change this so it leaves them all soft (all the normals are averaged).

In order to do this first go to your poly object in the explorer and double click it's geometry approximation node - say yes to making a local copy. (Alternatively you could have it selected and choose Get->Property->Geometry Approximation)

Once you've done this go to the Polygon Mesh tab on the Geometry Approx property editor. Disable Automatic Discontinuity. Now you've got all the edges soft.

In order to make some nice crispy ones you'll need to select the edges you want to be hard and choose Modify->Component->Mark Hard Edge/Vertex

If you're unsure which ones to select then just think to how you would group them in max and select the border edges (the edges between two different smoothing groups.

The reason I prefer this way of handling smoothing is it seems much simpler to work with and you're able to mark an edge in the middle of nowhere as hard. i.e. it can be surrounded by soft edges.

Hope this helps,

Alan.

Monkey_Majick
09-05-2002, 09:28 AM
Whoa!
Thanks!
Works great.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.