PDA

View Full Version : Doctors Use Video Games to Hone Skills

RobertoOrtiz
12-20-2004, 05:09 AM
Quote:

"Surgeons who play video games three hours a week have 37 percent fewer errors and accomplish tasks 27 percent faster, he says, basing his observation on results of tests using the video game "Super Monkey Ball."

To devise better systems for training physicians, Rosser and his colleagues brought together surgeons, movie makers and video game designers to discuss ways the three groups can develop better tools. "

>>Link<< (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=569&ncid=569&e=1&u=/nm/20041219/tc_nm/bizhealth_videogames_dc)

-R

Fasty
12-20-2004, 09:56 AM
Makes you wonder if playing games affects other skills like driving and such.

rendermania
12-20-2004, 10:33 AM
Think about what computer games teaches you...

- hand-eye coordination
- focusing intensely for extended periods of time
- dealing with situations that you cannot fully control (improvising/spontaneous decison making)
- navigation in complex 3D space/interaction with realtime dynamics
- patience/perseverance
- having to perform a series of correct actions/interactions before you can advance
- learning to deal with overstimulation/stimuli coming from multiple places simultaneously
- working within parameters/choices that constrain you

Besides that, operating newer surgery equipment has a video game-like quality to it. You see what you're doing through a miniscule fiberoptic camera on a high resolution display and operate tiny robotic tools that protrude in front of the camera lens through a user interface that often has haptics (force feedback) attached to it as well.

Not suggesting for a moment that surgery is anywhere near as easy as beating a computer game, but you can use computer game tech to simulate a lot of what goes on in real life surgery, and conceptually the challenge and feeling of being there and having to make correct choices is quite similar.

arquebus
12-20-2004, 02:15 PM
The title of this thread is very misleading, and I think its a cheap stunt for a mod to twist news headlines like that to start a thread. Yes Ive heard the statistics that doctors who play video games are better doctors than those who dont. And there have been studys to show that video games do improve reasoning skills. But I think that the statistic about doctors would hold up with other activitys like reading books, getting exersize, spending time on recreation. To say that doctors use video games as a direct means of honing their medical skills is just wrong.

Ollarin
12-20-2004, 02:21 PM
A scary thought.

Doctor: AHA! There's the block! Switch to primary torpedoes! Blast that sucker out! BAHAHAHA!!!

*Doctor handles medical instruments like a joystick*
:p

But really, that's great. Games do improve alot in hand eye coordination and whatnot. Great to see it used in the professional world. And, it's fun! :D

iconoplast
12-20-2004, 02:23 PM
The title of this thread is very misleading, and I think its a cheap stunt for a mod to twist news headlines like that to start a thread.
Had you actually clicked the link provided, you surely would have seen that the title of this thread is, verbatim, the title of the article it is discussing. I fail to see how taking the headline for a thread title is a "cheap stunt".

heavyness
12-20-2004, 02:26 PM
how dare you mislead us RobertoOrtiz with your cheap stunts or twisting words!.....jk nothing to get mad about arquebus.

nothing misleading about it. if any doctor plays games, their hand-eye coordination gets better. so, yes, they are honing their skills. makes me think if the Nintendo DS could be used for medical training...

http://pocketmedia.ign.com/pocket/image/article/536/536233/caduceus-20040805093331234.jpg

...to late!

Ollarin
12-20-2004, 02:30 PM
Ahahah! Nice image Kole, that's hillarious!

Q_B
12-20-2004, 03:00 PM
"You have to be a Nintendo surgeon."
Ack! no please!! All i can think of is some chubby guy with mustache jumping around trying to operate me... ahhhhhh!

Can't it be a PS surgeon instead, perhaps?

RobertoOrtiz
12-20-2004, 03:09 PM
Air I need air..
All this Laughing is making me quite dizzy.

I have to go back to my cheap stunts.

:)

-R

heavyness
12-20-2004, 07:54 PM
"ah, its'a me, your doctor! turn and cough"

http://ttl-museum.chez.tiscali.fr/images/70599006.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.