PDA

View Full Version : Warning about SP2 automatic updates

stephen2002
12-19-2004, 12:49 PM
I just woke up this morning to the surprise of the WinXP standard screen saver, and I never have a screen saver set. I poked the mouse; it was sitting at the logon screen. Great, the computer re-started itself overnight, not the first time that has happened. So I get logged on and a little bubble pops up that says something along the lines of “Automatic Update has installed an update that required an automatic re-start of your computer. Your computer is now up to date.”

That was NOT a nice thing. I never ever want my computer to be re-starting by itself, as I usually have rendering going in the background and that was 6 hours of CPU time down the tubes. Plus my personal web server is down while the computer is sitting at the logon screen.

So that is just a warning to you. It is a good idea to leave automatic updates on but turn off automatic installations.

On a related note, does anybody know why it takes days for automatic updates to actually download anything? I think that last one had been downloading for at least 4 days, and it was not really even generating any noticeable network traffic as it “downloaded”.

wurp
12-19-2004, 01:25 PM
Good to know, I turned off anything that has to do with automatic uppdates on my machine so I always uppdate manually.

As for the time it takes to download updates, its probably because MS didnt want people to experience any slowdowns with automatic update on. Lets say you're on dialup and windows is trying to fetch an update at full speed, you wouldnt even be able to surf anything while that is happening, so I guess thats why the speed is limited.

plastic
12-19-2004, 05:27 PM
yeah that happened to me too...very, very annoying.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.