PDA

View Full Version : Animation Demo Reel (Fast Action/Robots/Acrobatics)

KielFiggins
12-19-2004, 02:31 AM
Heres the Reel i graduated with at the start of Sept. I had an animation job lined up out of school, so updating my site with it kinda took a back seat, but got some time, so enjoy the reel and a fully revamped site.

>>EDIT<< Due to excedded bandwidth, Wade over at www.conceptcan.com (http://www.conceptcan.com/), is currently hosting my reel. Thanks Wade

Download Zip (9mb):
http://www.conceptcan.com/kf/KielFigginsDemo.zip

View Reel (9.5mb):
http://www.conceptcan.com/kf/KielFigginsDemo.mov

>>EDIT 2<< Due to the large response of the models and Rigs on my reel, i have freed up a few of them and made them available for download off my site. Enjoy.

http://www.3dfiggins.com/gallery.php?id=38
>>End of Edit 2<<

Crits and comments always welcome, check out the homepage of my site to see the clips that will help replace these for demo reel 2005. Thanks again, Enjoy.

RenegadeWang
12-19-2004, 04:24 AM
Really nice stuff. I love the people jumping and fliping around. Nice lip sync too. Everything is awesome. Keep up the good work.

FiYoG
12-19-2004, 07:08 AM
fantastic animation!

KielFiggins
12-20-2004, 12:47 AM
thanks for the feedback, glad you guys liked them. Hopefully the next time around i can get some more characters interacting (more fun and complicated in mybook).

Thanks again.

HenningK
12-20-2004, 07:28 AM
Very nice. The models were very impressive, thank those guys one more time :) . All the motion was very impressive too, with the possible exception of the acting bit. And the really floaty animation of the tall, thin guy who stops walking, turns, and shoots. All the acrobatic and robotic motion is real tight though, in some cases, downright jaw-dropping.
-hen

ct4real
12-20-2004, 07:47 AM
Nothing but complements from me. The movement of your characters is smooth. You pay attention to the small details, which makes the characters seem real. My favorite clip is the first scene with the mech. Did you use endomorphs for joint control for any of your characters?

onemind
12-20-2004, 10:18 AM
This is excellent work!!!

onelung
12-20-2004, 04:34 PM
Oh, figgy your the greatest!! Wish the binds were better, but all in all its a good reel. Well try and hook ya up with an intresting character soon. And i second whatever chris says.

levent
12-20-2004, 07:57 PM
wooooow perfect :buttrock:

KielFiggins
12-21-2004, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Due to traffic I am close to running out of bandwidth, so a friend of mine Wade Ammon is taking up hosting for a while. Thanks for all the interest.

Onelung - Thanks, Chris says its floaty and the binds suck, gald you second it.

ct4real - nope just straight up hand keys, nothing really special there.

henningk - trust me my modelers and setup get major props.

elmata
12-23-2004, 09:58 AM
Very impressive work!! five starz!

Hexodam
12-23-2004, 03:11 PM
this is some of the best animation I have ever seen on cgtalk, bravo:applause:

andy_maxman
12-23-2004, 05:16 PM
simply awesome and inspiring stuff - first impression
i really love the mecha movements......
*bowsdown*
merry christmans and prosperous new year!
-andy

* post edited *

Pinet
12-24-2004, 05:39 AM
very fun to watch :D
Cameras putted to the right place and variety of movements well done!
I reaaaally like those mechanic suits and droids :)

ploink34
12-24-2004, 01:11 PM
Nice smooth dynamic movement, loved every millisecond. And to does who rigged the skeletons on those models, Wow!! I know simple adjective, (but I can't spell the others) but it says it all.

hinnerk
12-25-2004, 01:40 PM
that is the way i wanna go....give me 10 years ^^
very nice animations and modells , will we see them textured?

KielFiggins
12-26-2004, 04:58 AM
Wow, thanks everyone for the responses. Much appreciated. Keep em' comin.

Hinnerk- hardwork and it wont take 10 years, as for the models being textured, i have hopes but where thats really not one of my interests, if they modelers texture them then sure, if not, plain greys gonna have to do.

polink- Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. I give my setup guys (and gals) big props for what theyve worked out for me.

pinet- I spent a rather large amount of time with test angles for the cams and such, glad they were appreciated and noteworthy. Also for the mech stuff, some of my favorite type of animation, allows more leway with exaggreation while remaining a bit more believablity.

hexodam- well thanks,theres a lot of really strong stuff out there, just most is done is small animated shorts and of course larger scale productions. Animation seems pretty difficult to really snag right out of school, but many pull it off.

elmata- thanks, ppreciat those stars.

Again, do check out my site, always looking forward to further crit.
http://www.3dfiggins.com (http://www.3dfiggins.com/)

Kiel

Nod
12-26-2004, 03:41 PM
Smashing work. Would have liked to have seen some textures on the beasts though. :thumbsup:

andy_maxman
12-27-2004, 05:00 AM
Hi Kiel,
OT: you think there woulld be a free mecha rig downloadable somewhere to play around with.....? or maybe some of your setup teammates have something to share out of sheer generosity? or maybe they could build something to share it for us? you know just a litt'l christmas present for a few hungry mechanimators.....

-cheers! and keepUp_theGood_show!!!
-andy

blueput
12-27-2004, 08:52 AM
WoW!~~~~~~cool animation!

ulimeyer
12-27-2004, 10:20 AM
Like so many artists getting into animation, your work shows the urge of moving things around at all times. This is understandable, because it is lots of fun to do so and one can see you had lots of fun. Some of the models are very detailed which at first viewing add a certain "wow" factor. But in animation it is easier to move things about and a lot harder to know when not to.
In classical animation one of the most useful exercises used to be animating a stick figure. The idea was to convey emotion and body language simply through motion. The stick figure forced you to think about body language and correct analysis of movement. There was no way that you could hide behind fancy draftsmanship (in CG that equals fancy models).
In the opening shot of your reel you have a four legged robot creature walk. Four legged walks are some of the hardest things to do. In your animation the main body lowers at the same time as the legs animate into a knee-bend down position. There should be a straight leg contact first, then the knee bend followed by the body. That way you can add a lot of weight to the character. You might want to look at Edward Muybridge (not sure if spellt correctly), a photographer who took a series of pictures of humans and animals in motion, by having them walk in front of a row of cameras rigged with wires at the end of the 19th century (but then you might already know that). This stuff really does help.
When it comes to acting the rule of "less is more" does apply. You need to break down the two or three most important gestures that carry the shot and make sure you portray those the strongest possible way. Don't be afraid to keep still at those moments. The end shot of your reel with the character talking to the audience has got all the right elements, but they are watered down and almost hidden by the floaty bits inbetween.
There is the famous bit in 'Taxi Driver' when De Niro looks into the mirror and says "Are you talking to me?". The weird menace in his performance is not achieved by throwing his arms up in the air, gesturing with a fist and bobbing his head up and down. Quite the contrary. There is one pose, a certain angle of the head and a dead straight delivery. The power of this scene is because nothing is moving about unnecessarily.
Don't get me wrong, I think your animation is great fun to watch, but I think you can improve it a lot by keeping your eyes open and study the things you see with your brain and your soul.

KielFiggins
12-27-2004, 04:46 PM
Keep em' comin guys, really likin the responses.

nod- (is that a C&C reference by chance?) thanks, but if their gonna be textured (in my eyes at least) that would mean that i would want critique on them. Heres the textured version ( http://www.reedcasey.com/posts/walker10.jpg ) Plus i hold a rather high standard for the models, rigs, sources i use and i take pride in the final visual (camera, lighting, rendering). Unless ALL my work is textured to the same level, then theyre all gonna remain at that point there currently at. But heres hopin. And as a side note, judging by the responses a lot of them are on the impressiveness of the models, im getting the feeling that some of that impressive ness is detracting from the animation put upon them, so with even more non animation assets, it might only be worse....but we'll see.

blueput- thanks.

Andy- Im pretty sure i got some rigs floating around that have been cleared with my setup guys. Ill get back to you on that.

Ulimeyer- An impressive crit, i appreciate the time that went into it. True, this is my first reel and the use of moving holds is minimual. That has been addressed entirely by my boss, and hopefully that will begin showing in my newer work when it reachs more completed stages. Understandable about showing movement in the simplest of lines (and models for the CG example) however, I decided to show more because i had the assests available and i believed i could do them justice.

Kinda in the air on the "Walker" clip that opened my reel. First and foremost, it only has 3 legs... 2 front, 1 hind. To critting it like a 4 legged it acceptable but somewhat unobservant and sometimes unapplicable (3 legs dont exist in nature, becuase of how unfunctional it is, sometimes convincing modelers of this is difficult). It does make since becuase its clearly not a biped, and I know their plenty wrong with that animation (enough so that i plan to rerig the model entirely and have do something more appropriate). By my reasons behind it where that it was an impressive model, that i rigged, that made the first moments of my reel memoriable and interesting enough to watch more. However, if you would like to critique my acutual quad animation, the thrid clip is of a true quad and hopefully i was able to get that more appropriate. And yes ive worked with Muybridge material.

And yes for the acting piece, i agree entirely that less is more. Lip syncs were not my focus while making this particular reel (where i was going for more game oriented action sequences). It floats all over the place, the poses are weak and the gestures are vague. Itll be the first clip removed or redone for demo reel 2005. That one section has been noted as one of my weaker areas.

Thanks once again for your critique it was much appreciated.

jussing
12-27-2004, 04:59 PM
>>EDIT<< Due to excedded bandwidth, Wade over at www.conceptcan.com (http://www.conceptcan.com/), is currently hosting my reel. Thanks Wade
Crap, that server's also down now... :( Really want to see it.

Oh and Andy, you did read the FAQ on plugging, right? :)

- Jonas

KielFiggins
12-27-2004, 05:03 PM
Jussing- I just redownloaded and watched the reel off the current server. It seemed to be working fine... Lemme know if theres any problem with it again on your end and ill see about switching it over to yet another server. Thanks for the heads up.

b00bie
12-28-2004, 07:46 AM
dude..
very skillfull animations imo..

a focus on action scenes could be useful for finding a job or..
maybe u wanna join project I.C.E at the collaborative forum? ^^

:x

jussing
12-28-2004, 09:40 AM
Jussing- I just redownloaded and watched the reel off the current server. It seemed to be working fine... Lemme know if theres any problem with it again on your end and ill see about switching it over to yet another server. Thanks for the heads up. Nope, I can't come in contact with conceptcan at all. Get a "www.conceptcan.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again"

I can't even ping it, I get a "Ping request could not find host www.conceptart.com. Please check the name and trgy again."

Maybe it's a DNS problem - could you try and ping it, and give me the IP address, maybe I can get in touch with that?

Cheers,
- Jonas

andy_maxman
12-28-2004, 12:59 PM
Andy- Im pretty sure i got some rigs floating around that have been cleared with my setup guys. Ill get back to you on that.
would highly appreciate your gesture, Kiel....thanks for considering.

thanks for the tipoff jussing - if you dont mind could you lead me to the faq?
-peace
andy

jussing
12-28-2004, 01:19 PM
Hey Andy! ;)

Here it is:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=166900

(basically it says "PM a moderator, don't put it in the thread" ;) )

Cheers,
- Jonas

andy_maxman
12-28-2004, 01:43 PM
thanks jussing ..did just that.....

jjolly
01-02-2005, 01:44 AM
wow good work

andy_maxman
01-04-2005, 11:01 AM

hi kiel,
i'm still being hopeful that you guys could pull something off for us.....thanks and wish you a very happy new year...
cheers!
andy

tai1061
01-04-2005, 01:08 PM
awesome!!!
the timing of the animation is very very nice, it's so fluency !

KielFiggins
01-04-2005, 03:54 PM
Many thanks once again, in responses:

Boobie: Send me some info on your ICE and ill take a look at it

Jussing/Andy: Im truly flattered by even the idea of the hitting the front page.

Andy: If you check out my site, youll see that over xmas, my computer decided to dump itself. I have our IT girl working on fixing and restoring it. Fingers crossed there. But...

I WILL be hosting some Free custom rigs that I have/own/made off my site, the moment I can get the files off my drive. Ill be sending out the links when i can.

Enjoy, cross your fingers they might be up sooner.

andy_maxman
01-05-2005, 06:40 AM
will definetely wait for the link Kiel. appreciate the effort and consideration.
good luck,
andy

rhino23
01-05-2005, 08:08 PM
Awesome work! The only thing that I can see to crit is the the girl running in the clip following the lipsync. Something in the arc of her steps/skips she takes before leaping seems odd. But wow, your work is sweeeeet!

nickchong
01-07-2005, 12:12 AM
Love the animation

holbroal
01-07-2005, 12:13 AM
Great work.
I suggest you reverse the order of your animation, your best work is towards the end of your reel, and the first animation you show (the huge robot) is your weakest peice. You always want to show your best work first, so that employers with itchy trigger fingers don't have a change to hit stop.

NicoCorrao
01-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Well I saw this the morning you finished and about 300 times since then at school (its getting some major airplay there and I'm sure you don't mind) but I figured I'd drop you a line anyways and let you know how incredible this all came out. Great work man. Thanks for all the help/inspiration.

_nico_

KielFiggins
01-08-2005, 07:03 PM
My computer will be back up on the 10th of this month, that day ill be making a new section on my site for downloadable rigs. Im slowly but surely freeing up a lot of them and clearing them with the others that worked on them to make them public, but the number is growing quickly.

Ill post when their ready.

Past that:

Andy: The rigs are coming, only a few more days

Rhino: yeah, her intro steps need more emphasis and dip on them to really commit, plus ive gotten railed on her skipping path and techinque, so itll be revised.

Boogieman: thanks

holbroal: Yeah, the order of my clip (though planned out pretty heavily) is always on the chopping block. I kept the Walker there first due to the wow factor and intricacy of it (also did the setup on it, so i had more personal connection to it). Also, i was pretty sure that the intro clip was solid enough that any employeer would find it barable to continue onward. Though that is solid advice that i also give constantly.

Corelli: Hey man, good to see you on here. yeah, my peers got a lot of view time on this reel (does frank still use it as a demo in DRC or compositing? private message me if their showing it anywhere else, always fun to hear what they have to say about it from a teacher perspective). Thanks for the feedback, glad i could help. Keep it up man. Hit me up with some of your work as well, love to see it.

Naisa Evoli
01-09-2005, 07:02 AM
Wow, I am very new to the industry (just started school for computer animation) so i'm no expert. But i do know what looks natural and what looks not right, and everything i saw in yoru demo reel looked natural to me. I was very impressed. I was very happy when i went to your website and noticed Full Sail under education. I am attending there right now, and i hope someday to have a demo reel that is as good as yours. Great job!!

My favorit part was when the girl looked around the corner, then you had her flip the gun upside down and shoot around the corner..lol..awasome job!

andy_maxman
01-10-2005, 05:34 AM
Andy: The rigs are coming, only a few more days

hurray!!
that's the sweetest thing i've heard for a long long time.
thanks a ton mate..

sammokablamo
01-10-2005, 07:43 AM
your animations are excellent. I've got a year and a half left of college. I hope I can get to your level by then.

toto poto
01-11-2005, 01:13 AM
brilliant work. your animations have just the right weight. it is really a pleasure to watch them :)

eatbug
01-11-2005, 02:22 PM
so cool motion!!really really nice.Can't stop watch one time and one. hope see your new work!!

best wish!:thumbsup:

okkio
01-21-2005, 02:56 AM
KielFiggins: Nice work. Good to see some solid character animation. In general I think your characters move smoothly, and use interesting poses.

Things to work on would be

-Weight, sometimes your animation feels a little floaty (eg, the opening shot would have more power if the creatures feet came down more quickly to catch his rolling body weight, another example is the 31 sec mark, character falling looks too light for his body size and the fall he takes. The movements are nice, just tweak the timing)
-Balance. There are 2 or 3 occasions when your characters look off balance, :38 and 1:05)
-Holding strong poses. Occasionally you hit a stong pose then drift out of it slowly with no purpose. Hit the same poses and hold them, make each and every move have a distinct purpose.

In general, good work. It's a rarity to see people moving characters well!

KielFiggins
01-24-2005, 05:36 AM
Due to the large responses i had about my demo reel, mainly dealing with the look of the models I had. I was able to get my setup artists and modelers to allow their work to start going public.

Here is the first set of Rigs thanks to Jessica Spence.

(Maya 6)

Enjoy.

http://www.3dfiggins.com/gallery.php?id=38&item=67#67

http://www.3dfiggins.com/scrap/Rig1.jpg

andy_maxman
01-24-2005, 05:47 AM
this is simply awesome Kiel.....thanks a million...millions....
it's like a deram now for me to have fun with a mecha.......awesome.....
cant stop drooling on this one.......and if i could...i would thank you endlessly....
God Bless you all for such generosity and consideration.....
i love you all.....
huge huge thanks to Jessica Spence :bowdown:

-will check out the rig and get back
love,
andy

andy_maxman
01-24-2005, 03:22 PM
i just got to have a go at the rig and i fond it easy to use and great....simply cant resist myself from thanking you folks so much....
the model to is awesome.......great thanks to all those who involved in its creation.....

just a doubt though....i could not figure out a way to scale down the mecha.....
i would love to know how i can achieve that,....
thanks a lot...
andy

KielFiggins
01-24-2005, 03:26 PM
For the scaling, it screws up with the constraints i believe. Ill run it by jessica and see if she cant fix the issue.

Glad your liking them.

holbroal
01-25-2005, 01:55 AM
Hey Kiel,

I should have elaborated when I mentioned that the first animation was the weakest. It didn't look like a true cycle, the COG comes up suddenly on one of the down positions, but on the others it has a smooth motion. Also, the animation lacked weight, it felt like it was on the moon, mostly because your COG and feet come up at the same rate as they come down. They should come up slower and come down faster to show weight. A basic thing like that might turn off employers.

The motion is very smooth, but that will carry it only so far.
Hope this helps,
Allen

andy_maxman
01-25-2005, 05:41 AM
For the scaling, it screws up with the constraints i believe. Ill run it by jessica and see if she cant fix the issue.

oh! ouhhh!
i really do hope Jessica can fix up the scale issue someway....integrating the rig with other scenes would be difficult otherwise.....
thanks once again Kiel and Jessica....

RickJohnston
01-27-2005, 10:15 AM
Awsome rigs! when can we expect to see more! Big ups to the riggers i love the flea model!

KielFiggins
01-28-2005, 05:37 AM
Next Set of Rigs is up. Thanks to Steven Kyle Wood for his work. And still more to come! Enjoy.

http://www.3dfiggins.com/gallery.php?id=38&item=68#68

http://www.3dfiggins.com/scrap/Rig2.jpg

JiCe
01-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Thanks a lot for the rigs !!! =)
That will be very helpful

RickJohnston
01-29-2005, 04:25 PM
man you guys rock...bringing quality rigs to the animators..cnat wait to start seeing what every one can do with them!
thanks again

toto poto
01-29-2005, 05:06 PM
hey, thanks a lot for the rigs ! unfortunatly i am using xsi but it shows great spirit to share these great rigs with the public :thumbsup:

steffenoid
01-30-2005, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the rigs-I would also like to say-you sense of weight is impeccable. Stuff like the cockroach and the robod on the wall were really great-most ppl think that just b/c something is on a wall or something its no longer subject to gravity, and you worked around this very skillfully-nice job.

BobDigital
01-30-2005, 03:34 AM
so, you did what part of this demo reel? 9 people mentioned in the credits...did you do any of the work? i understand if you are just a animator (as am i) but to have other people do all these great models and characters overshadows all the animation. i notice the models more than anything else.

Grayscale
01-30-2005, 04:25 AM
so, you did what part of this demo reel? 9 people mentioned in the credits...did you do any of the work? i understand if you are just a animator (as am i) but to have other people do all these great models and characters overshadows all the animation. i notice the models more than anything else.

um, actually there is nothing wrong with using models done by others. It happens quite abit in the industry. Especially when you have a focused area of talent. I myself, am an animator. I am not a very good modeler. For me to do some very poor quality models, just to animate them will detract from my overall demo reel. So, while it may be a personal choice for YOU to model and animate, that doesn't mean it is bad for the rest of us to do so.

There will be no confusion with regards to a job, because breakdown sheets are the norm in the industry. Maybe critiquing the animation would have been a better response on your part instead of trying to flame him for not using models built by himself.

BobDigital
01-30-2005, 04:47 AM
let me explain grayscale... i agree with everything you said. i am a poor modeler. i used stock characters in the demo reel i used to graduate from the Art Institute with a BFA. i used a couple of characters from the web. however, i RIGGED the characters, TEXTURED the characters, ANIMATED the characters, created the SCENES, and LIGHTING. i gave credit to TWO websites in my demo reel, not NINE DIFFERENT PEOPLE. thats a whole freakin studio working for one person! if i had NINE people working on my models, texture, etc, i would have the best ANIMATION demo reel in the business. i am all about doing JUST character animation, but with this guy's reel he did what; 20% and the rest was done by "his studio". i give credit to "his studio" for their great effort in adding to his animation. maybe one day i can have NINE people working on my animation to put on cgnetworks...oh a guy dream

clodhopper
01-30-2005, 07:15 AM
I modeled alot of the work on his reel and I'm glad to have them "brought to life" so well. Figgins deserves all the credit for the animation on this reel, and he was great to work with. My name is mentioned 3 times in the credits, he gives credit where credit is due=)

that said, I would advise any student to colaborate with others on a demoreel. As a student, I learned so much more on colab projects than working alone; better finished product too. Also, Figgin's work has brought great exposure and attention to my work as well. and possibly helped me get to where I am working now.

Bob, Its seems foolish to discredit people for working with each other.

twisztdauthority
01-30-2005, 08:51 AM
OOOOO you got told..
i think colaboration is a plus... not matter how many people you work with, as long as everyone gets credit. It is also indeed a great way to learn... umm maybe i should try one day ;)

Grayscale
01-30-2005, 06:14 PM
let me explain grayscale... i agree with everything you said. i am a poor modeler. i used stock characters in the demo reel i used to graduate from the Art Institute with a BFA. i used a couple of characters from the web. however, i RIGGED the characters, TEXTURED the characters, ANIMATED the characters, created the SCENES, and LIGHTING. i gave credit to TWO websites in my demo reel, not NINE DIFFERENT PEOPLE. thats a whole freakin studio working for one person! if i had NINE people working on my models, texture, etc, i would have the best ANIMATION demo reel in the business. i am all about doing JUST character animation, but with this guy's reel he did what; 20% and the rest was done by "his studio". i give credit to "his studio" for their great effort in adding to his animation. maybe one day i can have NINE people working on my animation to put on cgnetworks...oh a guy dream

So what you are saying is that everything i'm working on right now at work shouldn't go on my demo reel because i have a whole "studio" of people working on it? As long as I'm going for animation, and I say that I did the animation.... there is no confusion.

Also, the only way you would have the best ANIMATION demo reel in the business, is if you had the best ANIMATION in the business. Maybe you should rethink some of those statements before you type them.

BobDigital
01-30-2005, 09:41 PM
well, looks like i got burned.

ammon
01-31-2005, 02:20 AM
Kiel:
Thanks for the extra resources. I really appreciate the opportunity to use some original content for my 'keyframe a day' challenge. : ) It never ceases to amaze me how many people like you put so much effort forth for others to learn. Thanks to Jessica, the other Kyle ... Joe, and the other modellers too!

Bob:
Adding input and critique is an important skill. The fact that Kiels reel impressed you with the modelling work is actually good input to him from you. Since the reel is a "Animation Reel", try next time to look to that content and add something constructive in for him in that specific area.

Andy741
01-31-2005, 04:01 AM
Very cool reel Kiel. My favorites are the jump into a handstand, the flea climbing around the thing, and the one where she's shooting beams out. I like how you go the extra effort like when the troll guy gets blasted into the corner and falls down with all the overlapping. I also like how he's looking in the corner before the blast; that kind of interaction is what gives things more personality.

andy_maxman
01-31-2005, 07:19 AM
thanks yet again guys...simply love you all....i'm yet to check the second set.....

hi Kiel,
was just wondering if there was a solution yet or any plans to fix the scale issue for the clawmech rig by Jessica....?
like i mentioned earlier i would love to intergrate it with different scene.....

KielFiggins
01-31-2005, 07:26 AM
Ammon: Im tellin you, setting just one keyframe every single day will put you on a really solid start. Keep up on my site, more assests coming regularly.

Andy 741- Many thanks, the hand hand one and the flea are two of my favorites as well. Appreciate the feed back. Good eye on the ogre looking over his shoulder, most people miss that.

andy_maxman - Sorry man, i have been really swamped trying to get my computer recovered that i have yet to fix that rig. Im told that Jessica is fixing it tommorow. If not, by this weds, i will have fixed it myself otherwise. So no worry, you will have it for your other scene . On top of that, i got more rigs coming (possibly two more sets this week). Be sure to chekc those out as well.

andy_maxman
01-31-2005, 07:51 AM
i'm crying....i'm really really crying........feels really really nice.....
i hope you dont mind me in advertsing this thread on other forums......
thanks a lot for the consideration.....and i'm sure to go weak on my knees again when you release the other sets.......
kudos! and God Bless....
andy

KielFiggins
02-01-2005, 01:47 AM
Andy_maxman: ask and you shall receive. The mech is now scalable. Redownload the pack of my site for the updated version. And while your at it....

Enjoy Rig Set 3: Thanks to Dan Neufeldt for his efforts. And still more to come.

http://www.3dfiggins.com/gallery.php?id=38&item=69#69
http://www.3dfiggins.com/scrap/Rig3.jpg

andy_maxman
02-01-2005, 03:51 AM
oh! boy! can i kiss you???? ;-)
:buttrock::bowdown::thumbsup: are some of the emotions i'm going through......

btw - just checked the scalable mecha ......i think you missed the part of reparenting the shoulders to the cage control.......and the rotation of the lights right on top needs to be on zero......i hope i'm not wrong....pls check....and thanks a million it works just great now....

KielFiggins
02-01-2005, 03:30 PM
thanks andy, ill throw it back at jessica and see if she can fix it later today or tommorow.

RickJohnston
02-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Hey Keil, Just wanted to say thnks again for some awsome rigs, you guys rock!

deadline
02-02-2005, 03:31 AM
Ahh... Fullsail community at large...

This is Serge...

Peace...

Pinet
02-03-2005, 04:28 AM
Sorry dude but does conceptart that host this movie can host some more? :D
Im currently searching for a webhost with some bandwith!

That thread should have take alot of bandwith !
If have like 2 clips of 25 megs and i want people to check it but i have very low bandwith and i dunno if my website is gonna stay online cause im on a free host...

nyways if you can help tell me

KielFiggins
02-03-2005, 05:24 AM
More rigs coming this week. Probably tommorow or friday.

Pinet- That post is kinda off topic, and the website is conceptcan.com I believe that site is going active withen a week, so ill be transfering my reel over to another server. I go through www.asmallorange.com (http://www.asmallorange.com) cheap and reliable hosting, best i can offer man. Best of luck with those clips.

andy_maxman
02-03-2005, 05:36 AM
as usual thats super news......
hope to see more killer mecha models and rigs.........this is one fo the best thing happened to me in a long long time......atleast it has quenched my thirst for mehca-based rigs/models.....
thanks Kiel.....
frankly, it needs to hit the headlines on the forum....it's been surprising why it hasnt so far...

cheers,
andy

btw- was just hoping if you got a chance to look in to my mecha_claw animation?

Pinet
02-03-2005, 06:40 AM
just to know, how much bandwith that post took since you started it?
I mean, how much data transfer your reel generated?
Sorry to be off topic but i dunt know where to ask..

and for the conceptcan host, can you give me more details about it? :S

Poor old father Olsen
02-04-2005, 04:38 PM
Some really nice set pieces in there man. I do think that you have nailed certain elements of your reel however try to learn when to hit those holds, and try and go over that 4 legged walk cycle. :)

Aaaanyway , I was just wondering if you have any plans to release the rig of the plain guy who is featured in the "running backflip" the "leap over and land" and the "gun spin round shooteh-ma-thingeh" parts of your showreel, as this is what i have hoped u release.

Cheers

Bluebird2602
02-04-2005, 05:38 PM
I enjoyed the simplicity of your reel, and it definately makes me pay attention to the animation. I'd have to agree that some of the movements look a bit floaty, springy. I love that acrobatic stunt by the female character, that was inventive. I'm assuming you were focusing this at maybe some kind of game company? This isn't directly aimed at you, but I am so tired of all the action hero, gun blazing, generic characters. Other than that your animation chops are superfluous.

gr8fxtznr
02-04-2005, 09:43 PM
amzing animation, great cuts, very great storytelling abilities, all around fantastic job!!

KielFiggins
02-07-2005, 04:43 AM
Pinet: my reel gets about 3.3 gigs of traffic a month. Conceptcan.com is a friends portfolio site that has yet to go active so he let me use some space over there and his bandwidth in the mean time. I dont know what host he has, and i dont believe he will be hosting anything else.

Poor old Father: yeah, moving holds are slowly but surely coming into my current work. Im unsure what 4 legged walk cycle your referring to (the machine at first only has 3... ). As for the female rig used in most of my shots, that one was requested not to be released, so when its deemed appropriate i will host it.

Bluebird: Yeah, as above, the holds and weight shifts need to be solidified a bit, and im workin on that. I did intend my reel more towards games, more directly at cinematics for games. Not sure what you vented about however, did i have generic, action heroes on my reel or are you referring to game or reels in general?

gr8: thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

More rigs coming in a few hours.

Pinet
02-07-2005, 06:48 AM
thx for responding :)

KielFiggins
02-09-2005, 04:31 AM
more fun, thanks to Malcolm Thomas Gustav, www.ikfk.com (http://www.ikfk.com) , Enjoy.

http://www.3dfiggins.com/gallery.php?id=38&item=70#70

http://www.3dfiggins.com/scrap/Rig4.jpg

andy_maxman
02-09-2005, 05:24 AM
thanks a lot again Kiel & Malcolm Thomas Gustav for the 4th set......
and here's my wicked side again...
' got some mecha rigs in max? ;-)
cheers!

I would also love to sincerely thank the artists responsible for these 'cool' rigs. Just hope i coverd them all. Great show guys. And keep'emComing......!!

Steven Kalinowski - www.stevenkalinowski.com
Dan Neufeldt - www.nerfsafetysquid.com
Reed Casey - www.reedcasey.com
Kiel Figgins - www.3dfiggins.com
Jessica Spence - N/A
Joe Treu - www.joetreu.emv-arts.com
Malcolm Thomas-Gustav - www.ikfk.com
Steven Kyle Wood - www.kyle3d.com
Russ Schwenkler - www.dangeruss-industries.com
Jason Elliott
CGNetworks - www.cgnetworks.com
CGtalk - www.cgtalk.com

;-)andy

Nucleo
02-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Hi

WOW! Just saw your animation man and it looks fantastic. Iam not a animator nor a modeler in fact i just started using CInema 4D a couple of weeks ago but i can understand when something is great work. Like i said i was very impressed by your animation but i was even more impressed by you imagination. I specifiacally liked the Human figure that jumps from a 'clif' and lands and walks with his hands that was fantastic very nice physics it looked very real ^^. I also liked the human figure look (thin and and very agile, espionage and fantastic movemement and improvositation in his moves).

Nice one man keep up the good work..

andy_maxman
02-15-2005, 01:08 PM
hi to Kiel and Dan Neufeldt,
about the ninja rig....
i am not able to keep the wrist of the ninja fixed while i move his hips. there is an attribute - 'rotate to arm' in the HandRot and 'go with body' in the ArmCtrl which when set to zero allows me to freeze the wrist movements irrespective of the hips movement. but then when i move the hips the wrist gets stretched. is that how it's to be?

thanks again for the cool rigs and models.
andy

RickJohnston
02-16-2005, 10:07 PM
I also am having the same problem with the ninja rig. Hopefully will be fixed soon :P
By the way i love the pug rig and deamon!

KielFiggins
02-16-2005, 10:22 PM
Nucleo- Thanks for the feedback, i should have an entirely orginal model along the lines of the female for my next reel.

Andy and Horns- Ill check the ninja rig out tonight and see if i can figure it out. If not its unlikely that he will be fixed (by Dan or I, simply due to our schedules), but if someone out there wants a shot at it, ill gladly give'm props and rehost it.

More rigs coming, maybe tonight if i get some time to get them together.

Shaggy
02-18-2005, 04:57 AM
awsome work

KielFiggins
02-18-2005, 04:59 AM
Thanks Shaggy.

Another set is up, Enjoy.

http://www.3dfiggins.com/gallery.php?id=38&item=71#71

http://www.3dfiggins.com/scrap/Rig5.jpg

andy_maxman
02-18-2005, 05:08 AM
wow! supercool.....man, i never cease to amaze myslef with all those super-ultra-cool looking rigs.
superThanks Kiel and Reed Casey.
It's so exciting with animation mentor enrollment yesterday and then these cool-mecha looking rigs coming our way.
keep'emComing for us guys.
we love you all.
;-)andy:thumbsup:

andy_maxman
03-08-2005, 11:49 AM
hi kiel,
just checked your new animations on your webpage....
i can literally feel the fun you are having animating them all.....
i liked the creech character....and the rig looks pretty cool...

whats in store from the setup team? '-)
cheers!
andy

KielFiggins
03-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Enjoy.

http://www.3dfiggins.com/gallery.php?id=38&item=74#74

http://www.3dfiggins.com/scrap/Rig6.jpg

thomwickes
04-30-2005, 01:58 PM
kiel, these rigs are simply amazing!

CGTalk Moderation
04-30-2005, 01:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.