PDA

View Full Version : Terrian MEL script?

Hollow Out
12-19-2004, 12:53 AM
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever heard of/wrote a random terrian generator script? I'm really horrible at making my own terrian and I'd love to have some MEL do it for me, lol.

gokhanertem
12-19-2004, 05:21 AM
you dont really a mel scrpt fo rthat, just use a noise texture and apply it as a displace map to any polygon. Thats all

lilli
12-20-2004, 02:45 AM
I've written a script to do fractal terrain generation using the diamon-square algorithm, I'll see if I can find it for you. I'm not sure where I left the file--I haven't thought about it in years :)

lilli
12-20-2004, 04:44 PM
crap, well my harddrive crashed earlier this year, and I lost that particular script :(. However, as far as I recall, it was fairly straightforward to implement and didn't end up being that much code. You can find information on the algorithm here http://www.gameprogrammer.com/fractal.html
Which is the reference I used origionally in my implementation and is pretty clear. If you need help with understanding how to implement it, I'd be glad to try to help--sorry I can't just give you a script that does it.

Good luck!
-Lilli

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.