PDA

View Full Version : copying weights insanity

Arcon
12-18-2004, 09:19 AM
i've got 2 poly skins and i'm trying to copy weights between them. maya's "copy weights" tool works perfectly for 90% of joints except for the pelvis joint and all immediate surrounding joints, which it screws up. and yes it would be a real hassle re-painting those specific areas... i could actually fix this with a permanent blendshape but it would introduce an overhead i think, and i would prefer the copy weights just worked... ;)

i've tried export/import weight maps but it doesn't seem to work well on a medium/high-res characters, even with good UVs. i've tried the following scripts from highend: "aeSkinWeightsTransfer" and "weightTools". they both failed miserably and put weight in completely random places. unless i'm not using weightTools properly.... do u just select the skin and export...? or the skin and bones..?

the skeleton is the same, and to see if it was a maya bug i tried copy weights with an exact duplicate of the skin, and the same problem happened at the pelvis! aaargh! wtf? if you want to do a model swap for a character rig in maya, are you screwed? any help greatly apprec.

Arcon
12-19-2004, 10:03 PM
heh, all fixed :) i used maya's copy weights first then aeSkinTransferWeights.mel at the vertex level which seems to work perfectly.

anthonymcgrath
12-22-2004, 02:47 PM
hey sipher - I noticed you said you fixed it with aeSkinTransferWeights.mel

is this the same as the aeSkinWeightsTransfer (ie just a typo on your behalf :p ) or is it a different script.

if its the same - can you post up a little toot on it please? Are saying that I could basically detach the model - redo my uvs, kill the history then re-bind and use the skinTransferWeights to get it back to the binding state I were happy with? If you can post up some notes on this I'd be really chuffed

all the best for 05

ant
newcastle
uk

Arcon
12-22-2004, 09:35 PM
heh yep i think its the same script :)

i think you'd be able to do what you mentioned - you'd want to test it out first on something simple like a soft-bound tube ;) it has really good help docs that come with that script (either with it or on the guy's home page), so i'd recommend checking those out.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.