PDA

View Full Version : RORBOTECH/MACROSS Valkyrie Test Animation

dat
12-18-2004, 05:35 AM
This is a a collaboration between KingNor and myself. KingNor did the animation and I did the model.

http://studio1311.com/temp/kingnor/Valk%20animation%20roughs/Transforming%20Valkyrie%20by%20MIKE%20MCMAHON%20(1).avi

:Dat

matty429
12-18-2004, 06:25 AM
Yeahhhh! thats great...I'd speed it up a bit thought....I'd love to see the entire macross saga re-animated in 3D...Good Job..

BAEKON
12-18-2004, 08:02 AM
yea, compared to the anime it just looks like it's having a hard time transforming, although maybe that's wat ur going for a battle injured valkyrie. oh well, i'll b checking this thread, i love macross.

-alex

Bleen
12-18-2004, 03:22 PM
Great work! I love Macross! :-)
Now a few thoughts... the intake part (which then transforms to be the hip) is missing the sliding shield, which covers it when in robot (battloid) mode. I also see intersections in the shoulder and the wing when its in gerwalk mode, as well as intersections between the upper arm and the shoulder when in battroid mode.
The servos which make the legs connect to the nose in battroid mode seem to be missing too (if you're into little details that is).
About the animation... to be frank, I didn't like it. I loved the model, but I personally think the animation could be a lot better. It has some very slow parts, some very fast parts (too fast), which imho don't flow well. And there are also some moments when it assumes weird poses... just my personal opinion...
Now a few questions... how do you set-up a transforming robot? I mean, do you use a bone for every moving part?
And what approach did you have when modeling it? polys+smooth? polys+subdiv? plain polys? or maybe nurbs? could you post a wireframe please? I'm modeling a mecha myself and I'm unsure about the modeling technique to use.
Thanks.

dat
12-18-2004, 06:22 PM
Can't speak to the animation, but hopefully KingNor will chime in with a few words.

As for the modelling, in this case, I used Polygons and started in fighter mode. I find it best to model it as what is not the robot form first and then make modifications and compromises in geometry to make a good robot mode. Back in a sec and I'll post some wires.

Dat

KingNor
12-18-2004, 07:01 PM
hi guys, in responce about the animation. I wont' really defend it, i did what i coudl in the time i had. It's back step is slow, you're right, also its head transformation and some other parts are rushed.

it would be a work in progress except i'm going to re-rig an updated version of the model so i'm not going to work on this animation anymore.

you're right about the posing too, the arms are blocked in at best. what this needs is a few moments of rest and better poseing.

as for how i did it... this is a "broken" rig set up. lots of parenting. the arms and legs are not connected to a central rig in the middle. the nose cone and folding mechanism is on one rig, the arms and legs are each on their own rig, and all are left free to move for transformation.

the transformation is set on a Set Driven key on a slider on a locator that floats above the plane. when transforming all i have to do is operate the slider and the plane's back pack folds up, arms swing around, and eventually the plane folds in half. what doesn't move are the arm joints, or the feet (iked feet btw) the arms and legs are still animated regularly.

the set driven key slider is set from 1 - 30 and the breakdown for the trasformation is like this:

0 = jet
10 = "chicken mode" where the backpack is folded but the arms are in jet mode still.
15 = Gerwalk/half-jet-bot mode.
30 = Batroid/ robot mode.

the problem with the head is i didn't give it enough keys, so it likes to whip around real fast at the end, or i have to actively slow down the transformation, that is just an error on my part and will be fixed in the next rig.

whew... that made sence to me, did it make sence to anyone else?

mac666er
12-20-2004, 01:30 AM
I talked to dat about the model... I think it is great!

The animation is great, a lot going on... I just have some comments:

The animation gave me the impression that the valkyrie was "hovering" over a target. I don't know if this was your intended purpose?

Shouldn't the rear wings ( I don't know the proper name.. where the giant skull logos are) be folding as the legs fold downwards? It is kind of awkward to see them just waiting for something to happen and the plane being between GERWALK and jet mode.

And the left leg has an artifact (the leg goes through the engine?). Overall definitely looks great.

I must admit I'm a big Macross fan.. keep up the good work!

Terkonn
12-20-2004, 04:59 AM
Wow, this is looking great!

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.