PDA

View Full Version : Corrective blendshapes Vs Deformers

seven6ty
12-17-2004, 09:48 PM
When you say deformers do you mean wrap deformers???

If so, I asked a similar question a while ago. For the character I'm working on now, I began using a wrap deformer for the legs, and creating a blend shape based on the rotations of the hip, knee and ankle for that leg wrap deformer, after having it soft bound to my bones. It ended up being very troublesome and I'm currently in the process of going back to using blend shape influence objects, as I have been for a while now. I believe in my thread someone posted a tiny bit of info on the speed/processing load as being somewhat negligible, if not having the influences being a tiny bit faster, at any rate, I don't remember anyone saying one was blazingly fast than the other.

I was also wondering though what the performance difference is with influence objects that don't "use geometry", and those that do, however I think all of this is also dependent upon the complexity of your influence/blend shape object or your wrap deformer.

Arcon
12-18-2004, 01:20 AM
when smooth binding, what are the advantages of corrective blendshapes over deformers, eg. for use in areas like inside the elbows and knees which tends to cave in on themselves at an extreme angle.

if the ideal skin deformation can be achieved using something like an SDK'd sculpt deformer parented to the joint, is there any performance advantage or disadvantage over the blendshape method...? this worked really well for me on a nurbs creature in the past but i'm about to try it out on a medium-res poly character ;)

Arcon
12-18-2004, 04:15 AM
When you say deformers do you mean wrap deformers???

nope. :) wraps are evil and i avoid them like the plague. mentioned in my earlier post i mean like a sculpt deformer, used to make the skin bulge at the correct time.

seven6ty
12-18-2004, 09:51 AM
Ohhh, like the scalable little spheres then??? I found those not specific enough to use in my rig, like it's only one shape that I can't use very much, so I don't. Durrrhhh, sorry, I'm drunk, but yeah.

poly-phobic
12-19-2004, 02:05 PM
Ohhh, like the scalable little spheres then??? I found those not specific enough to use in my rig, like it's only one shape that I can't use very much, so I don't. Durrrhhh, sorry, I'm drunk, but yeah. those are more like influence objects
they dont have to be little primitive sphere or shapes.
u can maybe select the faces or the area you want to deform, and duplicate those face [then unparent them to the original mesh, as maya parents by default.]
then let say a bicept area, u would simply duplicate the front portion of the face and with that duplicate, u can use maya's poly modeling tools to reduce the the geometry much lower. then use it as a n influence.

yes, maya's wraps tend to be a little slow, but then again i would not use the render mesh until i'm rendering or checking on specific deformation. so thats a work around.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.