The Day After Tomorrow
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
I, Robot
Lemony Snickett and a Series of Unfortunate Events
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Spiderman 2

jlelievre
12-17-2004, 10:26 PM
Do you have a link you can post for this? thanks!

jake_$teed
12-17-2004, 10:35 PM
yeah, though this seems very realisitc, I like to see things in the trades before I believe them.

leigh
12-17-2004, 11:42 PM
Wooohooo I worked on one of those :D

malducin
12-18-2004, 12:41 AM
Congratulation to everyone involved in the VFX of those projects. Very well deserved, very tough decission.

Do you have a link you can post for this? thanks!
Academy Announces Films in Competition for Visual Effects Oscar (http://www.oscars.org/press/pressreleases/2004/04.12.17a.html)

playmesumch00ns
12-18-2004, 05:26 PM
Hehe me too. Out of the ones I've seen, I reckon The Day After Tomorrow or I, Robot should get it.

Boone
12-18-2004, 06:45 PM
Hmmm...I haven't seen "Sky Captin", "Lemmny Snicket" or "Aviator", but of the rest...hmm.

I never imagined I would hear(see) myself say(post) this - but I'm going to go with Harry Potter & the prisoner of Azkaban. runners up would be SpiderMan2 or Day after tommorow.

JawKAtaNa
12-18-2004, 07:54 PM
"sky captain" hands down!

stunner
12-18-2004, 09:34 PM
I'm just curious, Wich one ?

Boone
12-18-2004, 09:38 PM
Yes, Stunner is right - we have a right to know the truth! :lightbulb

leigh
12-18-2004, 10:08 PM
It's no big secret... I did some texture painting on The Aviator :)

I'm sure we have a couple of people on CGTalk that worked on each of these films. I haven't yet seen Sky Captain or Lemony Snicket but I have a feeling that Day After Tomorrow may snag the award - the VFX were, for the most part, incredible.

kemijo
12-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Hey Potter 3 has a little bit'o'me in it...of course by my families reaction you'd think I WAS Harry :D

I think either Day After, I Robot, or Spiderman 2 will take it. I really loved Sky Captain but I don't think the effects were on quite the same level quality wise for a lot of it (except that underwater part...wow)...but QUANTITY...well, out of all of these Sky Cap is the only one that did something that has never been done before (I think). It might take it for that alone. But I've heard some amazing things about The Aviator...those dog fights are gonna be something, I can't wait. Congrats playmesumchoons and Leigh :thumbsup:

leigh
12-18-2004, 10:26 PM
Congrats to all you guys too :thumbsup:

Hey kemijo - I watched Prisoner of Azkaban again the other day and really enjoyed the VFX all over again. There was some really superb work done on that film, so well done!! :D

Boone
12-18-2004, 10:34 PM
Re: Kemijo.

Thats right - you said when we last saw each other. I watched it the other night, and my Father took a look at the VFX doc and when he saw the Hippogriffin shots, he said "When I see you do something like that - THEN I will be impressed.". :banghead:

BTW - What exactly did you do on HP3? :shrug:

Jackdeth
12-18-2004, 10:39 PM
I haven't yet seen Sky Captain or Lemony Snicket but I have a feeling that Day After Tomorrow may snag the award - the VFX were, for the most part, incredible.
My brother is one of the four names on the nomination for DAT, so if it makes it pass the bake-off I'll get to be his "date" on the big day.

kemijo
12-18-2004, 10:51 PM
Hey kemijo - I watched Prisoner of Azkaban again the other day and really enjoyed the VFX all over again. There was some really superb work done on that film, so well done!! :D
Hell yeah! The work on the whole was just nuts...annoyingly I can only watch the DVD on an old crappy 14" laptop right now :sad: I was lucky enough to work on the Hippogriff as a character finaler/lighter, and a bit on the bats sequence...it's weird getting kudos for it though, it looked like that long before I got there. I was actually finishing up on another film at the same studio, when they basically yanked anyone that was available, sat us in front of an angry bird-horse, and screamed "make it do stuff!"

I was reading about Aviator FX the other day...I knew nothing about it prior to that except that it was an FX film...it was taking my breath away just by the way they described it in the article...I wouldn't be shocked at all if it came outta nowhere and took the title this year. What did you texture? Did your studio do other FX stuff as well?

Boone
12-18-2004, 10:55 PM

"Character Finaler"? :surprised

colinbear
12-18-2004, 11:03 PM
I'm sure we have a couple of people on CGTalk that worked on each of these films

indeed! i pushed some pixels on I,Robot but i dont think we're going to beat spidey2 or day after for the prize.

as for aviator, id be surprised it has even reached theatres here in nz by the time the oscars roll around :banghead:

should be an interesting race

leigh
12-18-2004, 11:11 PM
Hell yeah! The work on the whole was just nuts...annoyingly I can only watch the DVD on an old crappy 14" laptop right now :sad: I was lucky enough to work on the Hippogriff as a character finaler/lighter, and a bit on the bats sequence...it's weird getting kudos for it though, it looked like that long before I got there. I was actually finishing up on another film at the same studio, when they basically yanked anyone that was available, sat us in front of an angry bird-horse, and screamed "make it do stuff!"

I was reading about Aviator FX the other day...I knew nothing about it prior to that except that it was an FX film...it was taking my breath away just by the way they described it in the article...I wouldn't be shocked at all if it came outta nowhere and took the title this year. What did you texture? Did your studio do other FX stuff as well?

Wow cool you worked on the hippogriff! That, in my opinion, was the most impressive piece of VFX in the film! Especially the lighting on it, and you worked on that so - :bowdown:

Regarding Aviator... As for what I textured, I painted textures for one of the aeroplanes (the H-1 Racer). I was contracted to do the work though so no credit for me... regarding the rest of the work, to be honest I am actually not entirely sure how much I can say about that, as that is for the studio to say themselves. They did do quite a few shots though.

I'm looking forward to seeing the film because I've also read all about the amazing sky battle sequences but unfortunately it hasn't opened here yet...

Jackdeth - I knew you'd reply to this sooner or later. Big kudos to you guys :thumbsup:

kemijo
12-18-2004, 11:11 PM
Boone - hehe didn't see your first post until I finished the last one...answered your question but I guess maybe "character finaler" could use some explanation...we were given buckbeak after the animators and we "finish" the shot... add and adjust the feathers, run feather dynamics if necessary, muscle dynamics, geo tweaks and fixes footprints, all lighting, rendering, and precomps. Lots of custom tools, lots of farm hours heh.

Leigh - hehe thanks <blushing>, but believe me it was a heavily pipelined show, and it took forever to do. Most of the "add on" TDs only got about 2 shots with buckbeak. The dev work beforehand is the real story. Crazyness...

kemijo
12-18-2004, 11:31 PM
I painted textures for one of the aeroplanes (the H-1 Racer). I was contracted to do the work though so no credit for me...
Ah, crappy. I was supposed to be in the same boat on Potter, as we were all added to it so late that we were told we wouldn't get a credit cuz there wasn't enough room. I moved back to Toronto afterwards and was emailed by a friend there, saying I got a credit...I thought he was mistaken till I saw it...I think a few all-nighters on the bats sequence is what changed that. Hey, the IMDB uncredited aint bad though! And now CGTalk knows! :cool:

Boone
12-18-2004, 11:49 PM

Oh, I get it - a "finaler" is really a TD...who kinda does simulation and dynamics etc after a character has been animated. :lightbulb

I always get confused as to what I'm aiming for in a job in CG. I like the idea of taking a model and rigging'n'skining it for the animators to then take over, but the whole muscle/dynamics thing kinda scares me off - are they generally considered as seperate jobs? :shrug:

kemijo
12-19-2004, 12:24 AM
I always get confused as to what I'm aiming for in a job in CG. I like the idea of taking a model and rigging'n'skining it for the animators to then take over, but the whole muscle/dynamics thing kinda scares me off - are they generally considered as seperate jobs? :shrug: Not sure what you meant by scares you off, but as far as your question, it all depends. Titles and names change wildly depending on where you go. On heavily pipelined shows, there are usually two stages - dev/RnD, and shot production. The dev crew build most of the backend on how an effect of character will be realized, and then shot runners implement the pipeline. Animators would animate the creature but simulation is usually a post anim thing so we ran sims for muscles, feathers, the tail, etc. Riggers set up the muscles/dynamics and such, to work with the character, and someone else usually creates the shot using those controls. So yeah if your a rigger...some of that would be on you! But on a creature like this it's hardly ever one person. I think about 3 or 4 people rigged the hippo, with one person doing anim controls, another doing dynamic stuff, another doing wings, so on. That doesn't even include other stuff, like if a rigger is rigging muscles, RnD/programmers might have to create a muscle tool/plugin for them to use!

BTW, just to clarify, a Character Finaler is a TD yes, but it's not necessarily sims or anything, it just so happened that this character needed it. It's really everything between animation and lighting...and in buckbeak's case it included lighting, rendering, and some comp.

Boone
12-19-2004, 12:35 AM

Oh, bugger - I thought I was going to get away with it! :cry:

So the bottom line is to learn muscles & skinning...fur & cloth...mel & sue...pinky & perky... :banghead:

MartinGFoster
12-19-2004, 01:28 AM
congrats to all who worked on films that made the bake-off. I've worked on a few films that made the bake-offs or actual awards in the distant past but no winners :(

I'd give Harry 3 the nod this year, of the ones I've seen. Or possibly SpiderMan2. Harry's quality was a bit uneven with the hippogriff could but the werewolf much less swank.

dstripinis
12-19-2004, 08:03 AM
I have to go with Aviator for the simple fact it's the only show on the list that used a lot of models. The VFX branch is still dominated by pre-CG people, and will reward nice models more than CG.

playmesumch00ns
12-19-2004, 10:37 AM
they basically yanked anyone that was available, sat us in front of an angry bird-horse, and screamed "make it do stuff!"
Donkey-chicken!
Congrats on that - really turned out spectacularly

Harry's quality was a bit uneven with the hippogriff could but the werewolf much less swank.
Personally I thought the werewolf turned out pretty darn well. It suffered from poor design, like the fact that physically speaking it would never have been able to stand up without breaking its legs...

Boone
12-19-2004, 06:47 PM
Its funny, because when the Werewolf(HP3) transformed, it didn't feel right...but when it started to move around...urrhhh - Creepy! :sad:

surlymonkey
12-19-2004, 08:00 PM
My brother is one of the four names on the nomination for DAT, so if it makes it pass the bake-off I'll get to be his "date" on the big day.

You two will be so cute together. Do they make a camouflage tux??

c

Jackdeth
12-19-2004, 08:05 PM
You laugh, but I'll rock my camo jacket if we go.... <knock on wood>

kemijo
12-19-2004, 09:35 PM
Donkey-chicken!
Congrats on that - really turned out spectacularly

Personally I thought the werewolf turned out pretty darn well. It suffered from poor design, like the fact that physically speaking it would never have been able to stand up without breaking its legs...
Hehe...Donkey Chicken! I thought that was the Framestore word for it heheh...

I loved the werewolf, including his design. Realistic, i dunno, but it's damn cool. My favourite cinema werewolf so far, primarily for the design.

Boone, you kidding? Sims/muscles are the fun part! :thumbsup:

Boone
12-19-2004, 10:48 PM

If you say so. :wise:

nickepstein
12-20-2004, 05:06 PM
i was head of the render support department for the hippogriff - was very hard work but a very cool show to work on. really hope it gets the nod for the actual shortlist. id imagine it would be up there with day after tomorrow and spiderman 2, although i havent seen aviator yet.
whats happening ken?!!

surlymonkey
12-20-2004, 05:52 PM
You laugh, but I'll rock my camo jacket if we go.... <knock on wood>
Well, if Day After doesn't win, I think we should bronze your dogs and make our own awards.

c

AWAKE
12-20-2004, 05:59 PM
Well, if Day After doesn't win, I think we should bronze your dogs and make our own awards.

c

Yeah.. That way EVERYONE wins. :)

Jackdeth
12-20-2004, 06:17 PM
What did my cute little dogs do other than bark non-stop every day a work? Huh? What did they do to you?

....Haters....

dstripinis
12-20-2004, 06:39 PM
I find it cute that people think the best work wins.

Remember that ignorance is bliss only for the ignorant.

jake_$teed
12-20-2004, 11:28 PM
I find it cute that people think the best work wins.

Remember that ignorance is bliss only for the ignorant.
I find it cute that someone still thinks they are so much more "in the know", because they have figured out that the Oscars are 99% politics. Stunning revelation.

Next thing you're gonna tell me is that box office numbers DO NOT reflect a film's quality. Then I'd call you crazy.

dstripinis
12-21-2004, 12:04 AM
Naw, it's not about being in the know. I just meant people are debating what should win based on quality. I find that funny.

kemijo
12-21-2004, 12:55 AM
i was head of the render support department for the hippogriff - was very hard work but a very cool show to work on. really hope it gets the nod for the actual shortlist. id imagine it would be up there with day after tomorrow and spiderman 2, although i havent seen aviator yet.
whats happening ken?!!
Nick! What's up dude? Damn, and right before I started badmouthing render support on potter :twisted: I was wondering if someone from FsCFC was gonna come into this thread and blame me for taking credit for my little involvement. Now I have to embarrass you.

If anyone made that show happen, it's THIS guy....really. He's like everyone's personal hero :applause:

malducin
12-21-2004, 03:59 AM
I just meant people are debating what should win based on quality.
Exactly, but it still serves for water cooler talk and the office pool ;-).

Besides that's what the VES Awards are for, though they have their own problems or nuances as well.

nickepstein
12-21-2004, 03:14 PM
Nick! What's up dude? Damn, and right before I started badmouthing render support on potter :twisted: I was wondering if someone from FsCFC was gonna come into this thread and blame me for taking credit for my little involvement. Now I have to embarrass you.

If anyone made that show happen, it's THIS guy....really. He's like everyone's personal hero :applause: ahh shucks - im getting emotional now, probably over the girlfriends i lost for that show but still...!
over all i have to say day after tommorow should probably get it - i thought that was pretty much flawless. but judging by the tone of this thread maybe its not so much to do with being flawless - perhaps im young and nieve?!

friendinlove
12-22-2004, 05:00 PM
I was expecting VanHelsing in the list . :cry: Can someone put some light into why its not considered?

Day after was good..but I liked IRobot more.. yet to see all other movies.. :shrug:

Boone
12-22-2004, 10:20 PM
Re: FriendInLove.

Yeah, I thought Van Helsing had some rather insane vfx... :)

vfx fan
12-23-2004, 04:28 PM
Well, it's not a bad list overall, but as someone else mentioned, "Van Helsing" and "The Polar Express" should've gotten a place somewhere in the list, too. (Though some may think "The Polar Express" might be too much of an animated feature rather than a vfx feature.)

As for the my predictions for the three nominees, I'm going with "The Day After Tomorrow," "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow," and "Spider-Man 2."

Though "The Aviator" could quite possibly surpass one of the movies with the word "Tomorrow" in its title, as it's already being hailed as a major Oscar movie.

Another possibility is "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events," which could even take place of "The Day After Tomorrow," since it seems to be getting more hype, coupled with the fact that it was released near the end of the year.

But all the films listed (that I've seen, so far) deserve to be Oscar contenders, and the artists who worked on those films should be very proud. Finally, to those who go home without the Oscar statue, keep in mind: it's not really made of gold! ;-)

malducin
12-23-2004, 06:41 PM
The VFX Branch members inessence are the ones that narrow down the list to the 7 Bake-Off finalists. Me thinks that Van Helsing might have just been too insane and Lemony Snicket's was chosen instead.

ThePumpkinKing
12-23-2004, 06:46 PM
What? Really? Which One?

ThePumpkinKing
12-23-2004, 06:48 PM
The VFX Branch members inessence are the ones that narrow down the list to the 7 Bake-Off finalists. Me thinks that Van Helsing might have just been too insane and Lemony Snicket's was chosen instead.
I don't care if it is for visual effects, Van Helsing should not win an oscar.

And sorry, but I double posted on the post above, which is the reason this is not included in the post above.

VFXJ
12-23-2004, 07:05 PM
When will the bake off results be published?

roto baggins
01-19-2005, 07:39 PM
the bake off is tonite! see ya there

surlymonkey
01-19-2005, 07:48 PM
the bake off is tonite! see ya there

Yo Roto,

Hopefully I can get out early and see ya there.

c

AWAKE
01-20-2005, 07:13 PM
Who cooked up the best shit? I wasn't able to get over there last night.

surlymonkey
01-20-2005, 08:17 PM
Who cooked up the best shit? I wasn't able to get over there last night.

Hey dude,

I think Day after and Harry Potter had the best bang for the buck in the entertainment column. Spiderman and I, Robot showed off a massive amount of CG. It was fun, but damn long.

c

AWAKE
01-20-2005, 10:56 PM
All this nerding at work is making me miss out on all my after work nerding. I missed the ASIFA screening out in Dao last night too.

I hope day after wins. (completely biased)

Lil_Mick
01-20-2005, 11:51 PM
I'm mad I missed it as well. I need to work on my nerd-like style and show up to these things. I think I'd like Day After to win but I also really liked Harry Potter. Could be interesting.

~J

jussing
01-21-2005, 12:22 AM
Tough one. But I recommend everyone to get the 2 disc "Day After" DVD, the visual effects special is just awesome.

And Jackdeth, while you are talking about radiosity in ice renderings, they are showing some completely gibberish footage that has no relation to what you're saying... :surprised Some of the plates are the ice cracking plates, but one of them is some kind of animated plasma/noise texture on a flat plane or something... what the heck is that??

Cheers,
- Jonas

Jackdeth
01-21-2005, 01:00 AM
All of the Ice cracking shots had SSS. Actually, that was the key to thier entire shader. And that plasma looking thing is the fluid render of our blowing snow (I haven't seen that making-of footage in a long time). By its self it looks wierd, but in the comp it looked great. It was a nice detail because it meant that almost every pixel in the shot has some sort of movement over it, and nothing felt dead or static.

jussing
01-21-2005, 03:31 AM
Okies, thank you. :)

surlymonkey
01-22-2005, 12:55 AM
All of the Ice cracking shots had SSS. Actually, that was the key to thier entire shader. And that plasma looking thing is the fluid render of our blowing snow (I haven't seen that making-of footage in a long time). By its self it looks wierd, but in the comp it looked great. It was a nice detail because it meant that almost every pixel in the shot has some sort of movement over it, and nothing felt dead or static.

So great that I named my kid "is_300_fluidpass_4".

c

roto baggins
01-22-2005, 02:15 AM
So great that I named my kid "is_300_fluidpass_4".

c

:bounce: LOL :bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-22-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.