PDA

View Full Version : "The Chalice" Short Video

stephen2002
12-17-2004, 08:00 PM
The animation matched up with the action was quite well done. The handle of the blade is what throws it off for me, it is much too dark.

Bischofftep
12-17-2004, 08:29 PM
Hello, all!

Long time since I've posted here, been busy working on videography and composition skills.

Recently a project called for a CGI "flying sword" to be composited into live video, so I dusted off my copy of Blender (http://www.blender.org) and this is the result.

http://www.ceridwenproductions.com/CPMovieViewer.php?movieid=6

Please note that it is a 22MB fast start QuickTime video, so a reasonably fast connection would be best for viewing.

Feedback is more than welcome!

Fonix
12-17-2004, 11:17 PM
Hmm the blade looks a little plasticy maybe turn raymir on with like a still pict of the woods as a backround? it might not be that acurate in the reflection but it help it look alot less "plasticy"

pollywoggles
12-19-2004, 09:53 AM
Fun short!

I didn't believe the battle. It looked too theatrical. Based on the arcs, it looks like the blade was sometimes aiming for the hero's sword, not his body (I'm particularly thinking of the moment after it flies back at the knight after being thrown, about half-way through). I think, something as simple as changing the arcs on the blade would vastly improve the immediacy of the fight sequence.

Another idea. The sword fights on pretty much an even tone throughout the piece. Perhaps give the sword some personality. For instance, at the beginning the sword could swing in nice calculated arcs-- slowly growing more enraged, slashing in quicker, angrier strokes as the battle lingers... we start to feel for the poor guy, as we realize that he can't keep up.

Bischofftep
12-21-2004, 03:51 PM
I didn't believe the battle. It looked too theatrical. Based on the arcs, it looks like the blade was sometimes aiming for the hero's sword, not his body

Both the actor and I (as director & animator) are experienced at live steel choreography, and the problem we ran into was simple: without the actual weight of a blade to strike against the "pull short" of the block is very hard to "sell." Also, a weightless CG blade moves a lot faster than a real sword, and this made the first tries at adding the sword very clumsy.

Another idea. The sword fights on pretty much an even tone throughout the piece. Perhaps give the sword some personality. For instance, at the beginning the sword could swing in nice calculated arcs-- slowly growing more enraged, slashing in quicker, angrier strokes as the battle lingers... we start to feel for the poor guy, as we realize that he can't keep up.

Hm! Very cool idea... I'm disappointed I didn't think of it. :hmm:

Hmm the blade looks a little plasticy maybe turn raymir on with like a still pict of the woods as a backround? it might not be that acurate in the reflection but it help it look alot less "plasticy"

We went back and forth with various mirroring settings, and settled on what you see. With mirror turned up we ended up with a blade that was unrealistically shiny, even with a reflection dulling map on it. Tough call!

The animation matched up with the action was quite well done. The handle of the blade is what throws it off for me, it is much too dark.

Thanks! The handle is geared to match the very first appearance of the sword as it flies free from the hand of the skeleton: that is the real sword on which the CG one was modeled. I feel it's a good match, but there may well be room for improvement there!

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions!

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.