PDA

View Full Version : A quick "yes or no" question about facial rigs.

mikecarry
12-17-2004, 08:08 PM
Hello, I've searched the forums and can't find the right answer, sorry to waste your time if this has been posted already.

When rigging the lower jaw for ;ip syncing, do yo bind the lower teeth to a jaw bone, then rotate the joint to make the character open and close the mouth? If so, does that mean you would have to animate blendshape targets, (for the lips and cheeks) and key frame the jaw bone seperatly when doing lip syncing?

Thank you.

misterdi
12-18-2004, 05:27 AM
Can you use Set Driven Key for rotation of jaw bone drive by the blendShape?.

Usually I don't animate the blendshape targets.

mikecarry
12-18-2004, 09:30 AM
The jaw bone can drive the blendshape, but I'm not sure about th blendshape driving the bone, but I'll try it and see if it works.

swartz3d
12-21-2004, 05:07 PM
I found that the best way to do this for me was to bind the skin of the face to the skeleton and parent the teeth to the jaw bone. So the rotation of the jaw bone drives both, but in different ways.

The teeth are rigid and don't move on most characters... so it doesn't need to be skinned with the face. Additionally, if you bind the teeth, it's just one more thing you have to paint weights for -- which is can be very tedious.

When you do your blendshapes, remember to put them before the skin cluster in the deformation order (right click on the geometry, select inputs, all inputs and middle mouse drag the blendshapes underneath the skin).

Hope that helps
-Michael

anim8it
12-22-2004, 07:30 PM
http://www.jasonosipa.com/JasonOsipa_Main.htm has a good solution: Create a solid palette that includes both the top and the bottom teeth, gums, etc. Create Blend Shapes to open, close the palette as well as to: move the tongue and rotate the lower jaw (side to side). Then, use Set Driven Keys to drive the motion of the palette (if the mouth opens, the palette opens/if the mouth opens to the left, the palette opens to the left).

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.