PDA

View Full Version : Topology brush

Nicool
12-17-2004, 06:07 PM
Hi !

I've heard their is a "topology brush in Blender? Can you tell me more about (it before I lost a day searching for something that might not be what I though). How does it work? Is it similar to Silo's bursh tool? Since which version of Blender does it exist?

1001 thx

LetterRip
12-17-2004, 07:01 PM
Appolux,

could you post a link? I've contemplated writing a topology brush for blender, to the best of my knowledge there isn't really anyway to even come close to one right now.

LetterRip

LetterRip
12-17-2004, 07:10 PM
The sculpt mesh tool is far different from a topology brush. Both are based on doing a projection onto the surface of the mesh, but that is where the the similarities end. Topology brushes are for creating a new wireframe that can have a lower polygon count and better edge and face loops than the original mesh, but maintain the same shape as the original mesh.

There are two primary implementations in existance, the one by Silo

http://www.nevercenter.com/index.php/Topology%20Brush

and the one by Zbrush (though not yet released).

http://206.145.80.237/zbrush/reg/ZBrushPreview_SRig2.zip
http://206.145.80.237/zbrush/reg/ZBrushPreview_ZSphere2.zip

I post links to my sculpt mesh tool on both cgtalk and elysiun, if you look a few posts down I've mentioned the latest release in the thread Sculpt Mesh - Now with Tablet Support! here on CGTalk.

I did mention elsewhere that me and Michael are thinking about doing a 'topology brush', but no code has been written yet, we are just in the thinking stage. Perhaps that is what the poster got the impression from.

LetterRip

LetterRip
12-17-2004, 07:12 PM
Okay this is weird, my posts are way off on the time, they were both posted after Apollux last post, but have been placed before it.

LetterRip

LetterRip
12-17-2004, 07:15 PM
There isn't a topology brush as it YET. But Blender can manually alter edges in a similar way with a new feature introduced in 2.35 There are tutorials already been made on the issue (I know that at least one video-tutorial is ready)

Search for those tutorials, the capability is already there.

just a test to see if it will quote this seeing how my posts are being placed before these...

LetterRip

Fonix
12-17-2004, 10:12 PM
You mean painting on topography with a brush right? i dont think there is, at least in the BF tree maybe in one the experimental dev. trees. You probably saw it as someones wishlist to have in blender.

pinhead_66
12-17-2004, 10:24 PM
There is currently a python script with wich you can use a mouse or a graphics tablet to sculpt a mesh.
Hop over to elysiun.com and take a peek in the blender python and plugins list

elswhere in the blender forum here on cgtalk there is another thread about a sculpt tool

unless, a topoligy brush is something else
greets

Apollux
12-17-2004, 10:25 PM
There isn't a topology brush as it YET. But Blender can manually alter edges in a similar way with a new feature introduced in 2.35 There are tutorials already been made on the issue (I know that at least one video-tutorial is ready)

Search for those tutorials, the capability is already there.

Eternl Knight
12-20-2004, 01:07 AM
Appollux - could you mention some keywords to search for this new "edge feature", as I am unsure WHICH improvement you are talking about. To be able to even approximate the topology brush tool in Blender would be a big boon for all of us. Especially with the "sculpt mesh" tool of Musgrove's!

Apollux
12-20-2004, 04:31 AM
Rotate Edge

Rotate Edge is a new tool by Johnny Matthews that rotates an edge within the two faces that it connects, making it very easy to restructure mesh topology without having to delete edges and reconnect them. It is currently in the Mesh > Edges menu and in the 'Edge Specials' menu (Ctrl E). it works for any edge that is on only 2 faces.

There is a demo video in the 2.35 relase logs, search for it.

LetterRip
12-20-2004, 04:39 AM
Apollux,

Rotate edge is pretty much nothing at all like a topology brush. Rotate edge allows you to change the edge flow of the current mesh. A topology brush allows you to construct an entirely new mesh structure but maintain the shape of the original mesh.

LetterRip

Apollux
12-20-2004, 04:57 AM
Tom: imagine a brush (pretty similiar to your sculp mesh) that rotates the edges when the mouse passes over them.. you would be in fact re-shaping the topology of your mesh without changing (too much) the final shape of the object.

LetterRip
12-20-2004, 05:25 AM
Apollux,

the topology brush under discussion would allow you to take a mesh of say a million faces with the worlds worst topology (ie no edge loops, no face loops, edges connected to vertices at random) and create a nice clean mesh that has the same morphology (ie shape) but with nice edge and face loops and a polygon density in the thousands. If you watch the silo and zbrush videos, (or even look at the images) it should be fairly clear. Being able to rotate edges and faces is useful, but not anywhere near the power of a topology brush as implemented by silo or zbrush.

LetterRip

Eternl Knight
12-21-2004, 09:28 PM
I would have to agree with Musgrove here - the "Rotate Edge" feature (while having many possible uses) is not really what I think people are after when they talk about a "topology brush".

I think that a decent "topology brush" is not that far off, nor that hard to implement. However, I personally prefer the interface being presented for the next ZBrush, so I am not talking about the whole "paint lines" approach of Silo, but more along the lines of a "click & connect" topology tool.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.