PDA

View Full Version : Gentle Orc-Warrior - Almost finished

JonasNoell
12-17-2004, 10:26 AM
http://phpmywebmin.josh.ch/_uploads/cANt/OrkWarrior_WIP.jpg

Hello this is just another orc I am currently doing for a game. As it is going to be one of the mainchars the player has to act with I tried to get away from the mad evil like look and give him some gentle and nice aspects. As you can see only the hands are missing so far, which is obviously one of the most tricky parts. Hope you like it, feedback is very much appreciated. Thanks a lot

cANt

Frank Dodd
12-17-2004, 12:10 PM
This looks very good, Orc's are a popular choice for modelling but this one has been done particularly well I think, it has a design that is very faithful to the traditional fantasy concepts but also has a lot of unique attributes and great character. Its very much like D&D board piece in fact.

Great work, it would also be nice to see the model from another angle so that the legs are more clear.

JonasNoell
12-17-2004, 08:10 PM
http://phpmywebmin.josh.ch/_uploads/cANt/OrcWarrior_WIP2.jpg

Thanks a lot for feedback so far. As for the design I have to give credits to an awesome Warhammer like game called Confrontation where I took some inspiration from. Here is a shot from a different angle, I have to admit that the legs are the weak part of the model though ;) Ah and I forgot to mention the orc itself has about 1100 triangle polygons withouth all the armory and stuff.

the_podman
12-17-2004, 08:16 PM
That's very impressive. Would love to see the texture flats, pretty please? With a cherry on top?

Could you perhaps shed some light on how you "painted" the metal on both the blade and sheild? Is it a combination of color and spec map? and if so, could you perhaps show the maps?

I have a hard time painting convincing "blade-type" metal.

You're like the billionth person to model an orc, however, yours has some unique looks to it.

-pod
:)

My Knight gal (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=176727)

Prs-Phil
12-18-2004, 02:14 PM
Hey cant, :) wie gehts ? vergiss nicht die Leute zu erwähnen die dir geholfen haben :D

Well here goes my crit. He has a bit of blood on his teeth wich doesnt really mix with the "gentel" look you are trying to get. Also it is mirrored so he has the exact same bloodpatchthingy on both sides :)

I like the armor, the clothes and all the extras.

The texture on his thigh looks a bit stretched and blurry. You might also want to turn his legs outward a bit because he looks like he desperatly needs to go to the toilet :D

Keep it up buddy :)

MFTituS
12-19-2004, 01:01 AM
und ein gruss an deine liebe mutter, die dir das leben geschenkt hat, sollte auch nicht fehlen :)

hi, a good start and nice design. but for a warrior he looks a bit too friendly and the face remembers me a bit of my orc :)
for a maincharacter he is lacking a bit of personality. looks more like one of hundred orcs. he needs some specials, accessoires that tells a bit of him and his life. the thing on his shield is a nice one and the kind i am thinking of.
i have made a quick overpaint to show you some points, hope it doesnt bother you.

http://mitglied.lycos.de/MFTituS/diverses/OrcWarrior_Overpaint.jpg

-your texture, especially the metalparts need more contrast. i have made things pop out, added highlights on the edges and deeper shadows under things, varied some planks of the shield etc.
-bring some details out. in your texture you have many little things and only indicate them. so i made some bigger and deeper folds, bigger cracks on the wood....otherwise it all get lost from a distance. with some variations of this kind it will look interesting from every size.
-colourvariation is missing. i have added a red in the shades areas of your gold on the shoulderplate, made some highlighted skinareas more yellow, shadowed parts blue and added some reds on nose and cheeks, the same thing on the metallparts - a bit yellowish sunlight on the highlights, blue from the sky in the shadows, varied the leatherparts of his headpiece (a bit redish, some more yellowish) and took out some saturation of his blue dress.

hope you like it and can use some of the tips.

JonasNoell
12-19-2004, 09:34 AM
Hey all of you thanks a lot for your replies!

The podman: As for the metal it is no combination but only a plain diffuse map. That's why it also lacks reality when animating or moving this guy, but our game engine doesn't support all this shader stuff (yet) ;) You can find the texture of the orc himself here.

http://phpmywebmin.josh.ch/_uploads/cANt/Orc_Texture.jpg

Prs-Phil: Yeah, thanks a lot for your help for shure mate ;)

MFTituS: I was hoping to get a reply from you :D Well to be true your amazing orc gave me the idea of creating something similar and that's why he also has a similar face! We already were in contact, remember me? I was the guy with the RatWarrior posted here some time ago ;)
As for your improvement ideas I am pretty amazed. With your overworks it looks much cooler and more stylized. One question how did you achieve to get these cool big light edges (ger: Lichtkanten)? Also the changes on the eye makes him look much better. I will try to implement all of your tips. Thanks for taking you the time to give me those ;)

Greetings, cANt

MFTituS
12-20-2004, 04:21 PM
of course i remember you - im old but not that old....

for the edges - nothing special - just highlight them. for cloth only a bit, for metal you can use some darker tone under the lighted edge for more contrast on some parts, so it will pop out more.... mostly i use a soft light layer for this and paint with white and black. sometimes overlay or something different, it depends on the material and the result.
hope that was, what you meant.

if you have some screens of your game or other stuff, than would be nice to post it :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.